PDA

View Full Version : water leak from under dash in 98 moomba mobius

vtox39
09-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I have noticed a drip of water coming from under the dash that drips on my legs while driving the boat.....looks like the water is dripping off a big piece under the instrument cluster in which the steering cable connects to. Could I have a speedometer tube leaking that causes water to drip down on that piece where the steering cable is connected which then drips down to the floor of the boat or on the legs of the driver?

I have two speedometers in my boat on the instrument cluster. Only one of them is working at the time so I'm guessing maybe the other has a loose connection causing water drip out from underneath dash/helm.

Why do they put two speedometers on these boats anyway? Just curious....one speedo on each side of the tachometer.

Thanks guys any help is appreciated....I am winterizing her tomorrow and figured I'd check this out while Im at it....wouldn't want any water to freeze anywhere that is no supposed to be....We get some cold temperatures here in VA.

08LSV
09-27-2011, 03:09 AM
Hey. I am going to take a stab at this by saying that I have never owned a boat from around your year model and could be completely wrong, but to my limited knowledge water does not travel up to the back of your speedo. There is a paddle wheel under the boat that is turned by water or some sensors that are mounted on each side of the transom, but neither of these let water enter and run up to the helm of your boat. The reason for two speedometers is due to the fact that the paddle wheels/transom sensors are not centered in the hull, so if your boat is turning hard or leaning to one side or something like that you will still be able to get a speed reading. The only thing I can think of is that water may be splashing up and coming in under the windshield somewhere. Do you have a heater on your boat. I think the heater cores are located under the helm on some models. Maybe its just a loose hose or a small hole in the heater spraying water up near the instruments......

I am sure someone smarter than me will be posting to this thread soon so hopefully you will get a good answer. If I am wrong about the Speedo, somebody please let me know so I can file it away in my memory banks.....

BensonWdby
09-27-2011, 07:41 AM
A 98 would not have a paddle wheel. The speedometer work on AIR pressure caused by WATER pressure from the pickups on the transom. If there is an air leak in the tubing, then the waetr will find it's way to the leak. If the air leak is at the controller (if you have one) or at the back of the speedometer, the water will find it's way to that point. Probably coming from the speedo that is not working. There are two spedometers because they are known to fail or get wierd from time to time. If one acts up you have the other to fall back on - very important when pulling someone through the course.
In older boats there would be one on the dash and one on the motor cover - for the spotter - so they can verify the speed while a skier is in the course. Speed tolerances are very important to competitive skiing. If you are outside of tolerance your run does not count. These days the final say regarding tolerance is done with timers.

zabooda
09-27-2011, 10:08 AM
x2 for benson. If the leak is in the speedo head you should see condensation in the glass or it could be a hole in the hose. I'm just waiting for mine to fail..knock on wood.

DOCDRS
09-27-2011, 10:31 AM
x3 for benson...........these lines should be disconnected when winterizing as water/condensation can freeze and cause problems

08LSV
09-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Hey guys thanks for correcting me. I now have that info filed away in my brain for future use.

vtox39
09-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I crawled under the helm and got someone to drive while i checked it out. Once you get up to speed water comes out of the tube at the connection to the speedometer that is not working.....good call......looks like there is a zip tie holding it on the speedometer but maybe its just not tight enough because when the boat gets above 10 mph it starts dripping from that connection......i guess i could cut off the zip tie and try to put another there tighter in its place.....u can see the water run out at the connection at back down the tube or hose then drip drip. very small little hose

DOCDRS
09-27-2011, 08:12 PM
nothing lasts for ever.........except death

rc5695
09-28-2011, 11:54 AM
...In older boats there would be one on the dash and one on the motor cover - for the spotter - so they can verify the speed while a skier is in the course...when did they do this and on what boats? Never seen it. Always just saw 2 on the dash. Sounds like a good idea though before advancements in technology.

DOCDRS
09-28-2011, 12:17 PM
when did they do this and on what boats? Never seen it. Always just saw 2 on the dash. Sounds like a good idea though before advancements in technology.

Malibu used to do it on their barefoot inboard boats, but the speedo was on the rear seat back. On their outboards it was mounted just above the rear gunwale. Sanger may have done it as well