PDA

View Full Version : Boat Builder updated...

ian ashton
09-26-2011, 08:09 PM
At least for the 2012 Outback, LSV, and Gravity XLV;

2012 Outback comes standard with: Oz Tower, 4-Speaker Stereo, Indmar 330hp Catalytic MPI Engine w/Digital Cruise, Single Spring Axle Boatmate Trailer w/disc brakes
Base MSRP: US $38,980.00

Stereo standard? Yuck! The Digital Cruise is cool though.

When I go to the Outback V, LF LSV, and XLV, it gives me Mobius LSV; those must not be updated yet?

2012 Mobius LSV comes standard with: Oz Tower, 4-Speaker Stereo, Multisport Wakeplate, Gravity I Ballast, Indmar 330hp Catalytic MPI w/Digital Cruise Engine, Single Spring Axle Boatmate Trailer w/disc brakes
Base MSRP: US $47,080.00

2012 Mobius XLV Gravity Games Edition comes standard with the Limited Gravity Games Gelcoat and Graphics Package, 4-Speaker Stereo, Multisport Wakeplate, Gravity III Ballast, Digital Cruise Pro, Indmar 330HP Catalytic 5.7L MPI Engine, and Tandem Spring Axle Trailer w/disc brakes. The Gravity graphics/gelcoat pattern not available on any other Moomba models.
Base MSRP: US $56,475.00

pmoomba
09-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah I noticed that too but doesn't look like it's complete yet. For example there's a new graphic option this year that isn't in the selections, options still list the assault 325 instead of the cat 330, etc.

Maybe the website will get updated and have the correct captions for pictures this time around.

you da man
09-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Basically $9,000 per foot of more boat :)

chawk610
09-27-2011, 07:52 AM
4 speaker stereo??? WTF? I thought 6 speaker was pretty much standard these days?

rdlangston13
09-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Less options more money. Wth!

deafgoose
09-27-2011, 09:55 AM
How much has the price gone up this year compared to last year?

Boats can't keep climbing in price this quickly. There's gotta be an end to it eventually!

mmandley
09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
The reason you might be seeing and LSV then a Mobius LSV is because back in mid 2000s the Mobius was meaning it had an option package included. Kinda like SXT and XLT on trucks.

pmoomba
09-27-2011, 10:18 AM
I should have saved off the configs I did a few weeks ago for an outback while just tooling around. I feel like it's a good couple grand though because if I config one now it's $40,040 with just a wakeplate. That doesn't even include a cover, let alone "necessities" like a bimini, digital cruise, etc. Necessities in italics because sure, you don't need them but I need a bimini with the family and do not want to reset the cruise every time I cut the engine. I feel like I had to add a lot more to it before to get over 40.

Kind of sad (well, for me anyway) that the entry level boat of a budget brand is almost $39k, or over $40 when all is said and done without any options at all. Looking back at the waterskimag reviews:

2006: This boat is record tournament-approved and is priced with a trailer for under 26 grand.
2007: Base price: $27,995
2008: Base price: $28,995
2009: Base Price: $30,995

I guess between 2009 and now there's the new engine, tower standard (then new tower), and seadek pad but not sure what else. Doesn't seem like a lot for an 8 grand difference. I'm potentially in the market now, if it were 2009 I might even buy new but I couldn't any more.

deafgoose
09-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Looks like the used market is the way to go.

chawk610
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
I agree... I certainly got the boat I wanted at a good price. Kinda like cars I reckon... as soon as you pull the 142K new mastercraft off the lot... the gas gauge and depth finder stops working, and it depreciates 15% :)

maxpower220
09-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I ordered my boat in 2008. The price seems like it was a lot lower just 4 yrs ago. I seem to recall a downturn in the economy about that time. It doesn't make a lot of sense to keep raising prices as the economy tanks.

Anyway, "usually", there are announced "Boat Show Specials" during the show season (winter). In 08, it was essentially 4 free options on your boat. Since most can't ski during the winter, it may be better to wait until Dec or so to see what special deals are out there.

ian ashton
09-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Less options more money. Wth!

What fewer options are there? To me it looks like more options...

ian ashton
09-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I ordered my boat in 2008. The price seems like it was a lot lower just 4 yrs ago. I seem to recall a downturn in the economy about that time. It doesn't make a lot of sense to keep raising prices as the economy tanks.

Anyway, "usually", there are announced "Boat Show Specials" during the show season (winter). In 08, it was essentially 4 free options on your boat. Since most can't ski during the winter, it may be better to wait until Dec or so to see what special deals are out there.

Same here, I think the sticker price on my boat was $36,500 before incentives and negotiating (although that is not what I paid.)

I ordered with:
Tower (Option at the time)
Heater
Bow filler cushion
Appearance Package (SS Rub Rail, Docking Lights, Pop-Up cleats)
Gravity I Ballast
Gel Coat Pattern E (2 colors)
Cockpit & Tonneau Cover

It looks like the Tower ($1,800 option I think) and Digital Cruise ($550) are now standard, in addition to a 4 speaker stereo, which was never an option.

The big cost difference has to be the standard Cat motors; I think that was an added cost of a few thousand dollars, so when comparing "then vs. now" there isn't that much different. I just priced my current boat out at $43,500. This isn't really a fair comparison because it ads the Cat engine, Digital Cruise, and Stereo that I didn't get for $36,500. But ignoring that, it is a 20% increase over 4 years, or 5% per year. A nominal amount considering the rapid increase in cost of materials over the last several years. Fiberglass is a by product of oil, which isn't getting cheaper.

If anything, the economic downturn has probably caused prices to increase, rather than decrease. Selling fewer boats means you are building fewer boats, which means the company's margin on each boat is decreased, and that's just looking at the overhead of the company. In addition, buying fewer of something is generally going to cost you more, so you start cutting expenses to try and re-coup some of that margin; let employees go, use different materials (IE: cheaper import towers on the Outbacks for '09 & '10...) and people start to notice.

What I've seen since we purchased in 2008 have for the most part been improvements; nicer interior fabric, better cruise control option, cooler (but likely less expensive) tower design. The only downfalls I've seen since '08 are with the new drivers seat, which is still (IMO) crap, the multi-piece towers that are now gone with the implementation of the OZ tower. It seems like they are trying to add value with the price increases, it is definitely not the same boat with a higher price tag.

But, finally; I do agree. $40,000+ is not a "price point" boat, when looking at a Direct Drive. I realize its cheaper than Malibu, Mastercraft, and Nautique, but that doesn't mean much. Nobody ever said boating was cheap, lol. With higher costs come higher expectations, and I'd hate to see Moomba price themselves out of the market, which is what seems to be the case on the V-Drive that go head to head with Axis.

psycho-heico
09-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I will be interested to see what the base price point will be in Canada...

deafgoose
09-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I will be interested to see what the base price point will be in Canada...

I paid 49,900 for my OBV in 2008.

At a 5% increase per year, they would be asking $60K for a 2012 OBV with the same options. YIKES!

maxpower220
09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
The Cat engine is standard now, for every boat. So, now that it is the standard, the price should pretty much come down to normal. In the past, the "option" motor (whether in car or boat) is just a profit option. Does it really cost any more money to make a 5.7 vs a 6.0? NO.
Cruise is cruise, especially the factory version. If Moomba cruise was now a standard ZO or PP, then yes maybe it would cost them more.

When a boat maker buys in bulk, the cost goes down. Towers, motors, trailers, it is all the same. If I priced out an Outback at $40K, there is no doubt that I would be buying a different brand. It is possible to buy a Promo boat for just a little bit more than that.

KSmith
09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=ian ashton;157430]But, finally; I do agree. $40,000+ is not a "price point" boat, when looking at a Direct Drive. I realize its cheaper than Malibu, Mastercraft, and Nautique, but that doesn't mean much. Nobody ever said boating was cheap, lol. With higher costs come higher expectations, and I'd hate to see Moomba price themselves out of the market, which is what seems to be the case on the V-Drive that go head to head with Axis.[/QUOTE

Go price out a 215 Bayliner I/O with a 260 merc, tower, swim platform, basically load it up to be compareable to a Moomba, oh say OBV as it is only 6 inches longer... racks up to 45K pretty quick...

ian ashton
09-27-2011, 04:54 PM
The Cat engine is standard now, for every boat. So, now that it is the standard, the price should pretty much come down to normal. In the past, the "option" motor (whether in car or boat) is just a profit option. Does it really cost any more money to make a 5.7 vs a 6.0? NO.
Cruise is cruise, especially the factory version. If Moomba cruise was now a standard ZO or PP, then yes maybe it would cost them more.

It is my understanding that the "cat" motors have catalytic convertors, which are incredibly expensive to produce.

I also believe that the the new Digital Cruise is basically what PerfectPass used to be, just without the individual rider settings. I believe its even made by PerfectPass.

jmvotto
09-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I paid 49,900 for my OBV in 2008.

At a 5% increase per year, they would be asking $60K for a 2012 OBV with the same options. YIKES!

WOW My 2007 OBV was 36,500 OTD , come to upstae NY and get one...

I priced a 2011 Four winns 21 fter came to $49,500 just for kicks ouch!!!!

deafgoose
09-27-2011, 05:13 PM
WOW My 2007 OBV was 36,500 OTD , come to upstae NY and get one...

I priced a 2011 Four winns 21 fter came to $49,500 just for kicks ouch!!!!

Unfortunately, you cannot compare the Canadian market to the US market.

you da man
09-27-2011, 06:17 PM
A big IF is if you can find a new previous year boat leftover with all or almost all options you want. I did this and got my XLV $13,000 below sticker and my boat was stored indoors the entire time.

mmandley
09-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Anyone try to find the replacment price of the new Cat exhaust? I cant find anything about it on replacement which generaly means its dealer only part and of course costs a lot more. You can get regular manifolds for 140 to 500 depending on where you shop. I can find tons of info about the new manifolds but not replacments themselves. I know when i was buying my boat the Cat engine was an option and it was only 3K more at the time. So even still it shouldnt be much more then that as a standard.

wolfeman131
09-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Ian has highlighted some great things that factor into the overall costing of products and how it's not as easy as saying, this cost "x" so the final cost of the product should simply be "y."

pmoomba
09-28-2011, 10:01 AM
At least for the outback, the builder seems fully updated (didn't check the rest). The options below match the new configs vs. the old configs, and some of the prices have changed a bit (didn't check everything but wakeplate is 925 instead of 1050 or whatever it was). Assault 325 and Rad-a-cage are no charge options, but don't save you anything. There's a $250 option for "Misc: Surf+ Swim Platform" that I think is new.

I also believe that the the new Digital Cruise is basically what PerfectPass used to be, just without the individual rider settings. I believe its even made by PerfectPass.

I thought that was Digital Pro which is an upgrade?

wolfeman131
09-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Yes, the surf platform is a new option for this yr

ian ashton
09-28-2011, 11:33 AM
I thought that was Digital Pro which is an upgrade?

Ahh, you are right, I didn't notice that. So they just renamed "Moomba Cruise" to "Digital Cruise" ?