PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Bimini Top?

bkearney
09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
The wife and I are putting together a list of upgrades, and Bimini top is near the top of the list. We have a 2003 LSV with the original tower. Any suggestions on tops to use or avoid. We have no speakers on the tower (yet) but I may want to add some. I am pretty tall, so I would not want to loose too much space... anyone have experience with going over the tower We are a typical family, doing equal amounts riding, tubing, and swimming.

Thanks in advance!

-- bk

KSmith
09-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Quite a few of us are using the Monster Tower Cargo Bimini. With any bimini mounted under the tower crossbars (typical installation) height can be an issue. I'm not tall but I prefer to stand up as much as possible under the bimini. As such I mounted my bimini higher than most have. To do so allows me to stand upright pretty much and also allows room for my swivel racks to swing into the boat for loading/unloading rather than hitting the bimini. The down side is I do not have room to mount tower speakers hanging under the crossbars. I cold mount the tower speakers on top of the crossbars for the Mickey Mouse look, which I may do eventually. I have mot seen a "normal", Z5, or Monster Tower bimini mounted above the tower.

Razzman
09-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Depending on what you want, how you want it and what your willing to spend then I would definately checkout Tower Biminis (http://www.towerbiminis.com/index.html) . I've had them on two boats now and they are rock solid, made to order and can be customized in many different ways. A few on here have them, I've had them on different boats and wouldn't have any other. If interested pm me and I'll see about a Moomba discount, I know the owner and have a little pull :)

lsvboombox
09-26-2011, 11:49 PM
I got the stock bimini thats integrated into the top of the tower. Plenty of headroom....

bkearney
09-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Would the dealer be able to get that for me as an OEM part?

usaski1
09-27-2011, 08:34 PM
I reccomend buying used if you can. Dealer quoted me $800 for factory bimini, I bought one that was almost like the factory for $250 used, right here in the used/classifieds section... $800 for a factory bimini, even $500... way too much...

maxpower220
09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
I would recommend finding a custom install shop around and have one made custom. I have seen biminis that attach around the horizontal top bars and extend out from there on both sides. No head room issues and they fold up onto the tower. I really wish I had done that instead of the factory one.

brain_rinse
09-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Razz, that is one sweet looking bimini!

moombadaze
09-28-2011, 07:14 AM
monster tower-price isnt that bad and storage for boards makes it even better

bret
09-28-2011, 08:48 AM
monster tower-price isnt that bad and storage for boards makes it even better
Can you post some pictures of the monster tower bimini? If they ever run their sale again we are thinking of picking it up because we like to do kneeboarding and for a few hundred more than a rack I'd rather get a bimini to store the kneeboard and provide shade. Speaking of that, the monster tower cargo rack isn't adjustable - is that a big negative?

Razzman
09-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Razz, that is one sweet looking bimini!

Thanks man, it's a one-off made to match the interior/exterior colors and patterns. Really love it and it looks so much better than a plain solid color.

brain_rinse
09-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks man, it's a one-off made to match the interior/exterior colors and patterns. Really love it and it looks so much better than a plain solid color.
If I ever need to have the fabric on my Z5 replaced I would love to have something made with a pattern that matched the colors/lines of the boat interior. Pretty cool.

FamilyMatters
09-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Here's the Best Picture I have of the Monster Tower Cargo Bimini. You can See it's Got the Slalom Ski and Knee-board already up there. We also put the Surf board up there! The Tilt or angle is adjustable by moving the rear supports up and down, but that's the only adjustment there is! We love it! It keeps stuff off the floor, (a premium in a DD), and provides a good amount of shade fr the Driver and observer seats.
Peace Darren