PDA

View Full Version : A few Outback DD questions

pmoomba
09-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I might be in the market to switch to a DD, but unless I found a screaming deal worth paying the difference on mine, I'm probably looking in the used market. I had a couple generic questions if anybody knows.

- Once the hull changed (2003?), other than cosmetic stuff like gelcoat/graphics, engine switch to EFI, or options becoming standard (ie, tower in 2010? or so), what has changed between the years? I think there was a new seat in 2009, seadek in 2011, maybe better carpet/dash(?) in 2007? What else changed between the years that might not be immediately obvious just looking at used listings?

- How important is the wakeplate on the DD? I have searched and found a few people on both sides of it but figured I'd ask since some of the used ones don't have it. Mostly only concerned with the slalom wake but if the plate helps a bunch at longer lines/slower speeds I'd like to know.

- Can you install netting on the walls across from the engine compartment for some storage or is there nothing behind to screw into (but the hull)?

- Anyone ordered a jump seat from the dealer after the fact? About how much, $200 or so?

zegm
09-26-2011, 03:13 PM
I might be in the market to switch to a DD, but unless I found a screaming deal worth paying the difference on mine, I'm probably looking in the used market. I had a couple generic questions if anybody knows.

- Once the hull changed (2003?), other than cosmetic stuff like gelcoat/graphics, engine switch to EFI, or options becoming standard (ie, tower in 2010? or so), what has changed between the years? I think there was a new seat in 2009, seadek in 2011, maybe better carpet/dash(?) in 2007? What else changed between the years that might not be immediately obvious just looking at used listings?

- How important is the wakeplate on the DD? I have searched and found a few people on both sides of it but figured I'd ask since some of the used ones don't have it. Mostly only concerned with the slalom wake but if the plate helps a bunch at longer lines/slower speeds I'd like to know.

- Can you install netting on the walls across from the engine compartment for some storage or is there nothing behind to screw into (but the hull)?

- Anyone ordered a jump seat from the dealer after the fact? About how much, $200 or so?

Don't forget that SC once made an LS model. The LSV in a DD layout. It has a ton of storage and we do go down the slalom course. The wake is NOT as good as an outback wake but better than any VD and the faster you go and the shorter the rope the better it gets.
We have the jumpseat and with it position right behind the passenger seat it adds room for another person that is out of the way of the rope on the ski pylon.

DOCDRS
09-26-2011, 03:57 PM
I believe they had to add the wakeplate in 02 with the outback ls redesign to prevent porpoising at high speeds with more peeps in the back. It was not needed on the earlier model boats

maxpower220
09-26-2011, 05:02 PM
In 08, they went to 2 large guages for MPH and RPM, instead of 2 MPHs and 1 RPM of smaller size in 07. I believe Cruise became standard around that time. The engine cover lost it's rear facing seat in 07 too.

I have an adjustable Wakeplate on my 08. It does help shape the wakeboard speed wake. It must be down for slalom skiing. It would depend on how you plan to use the boat as to the "need" for it.

usaski1
09-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Adjustable on 08? Thats a extra ($$$) option, right? I have the wakeplate, but I think its fixed..

zabooda
09-26-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought the wakeplate was added to flatten the wake. I have a lot of prop wash on my 98 and a wakeplate probably would help.

viking
09-26-2011, 10:08 PM

I have a fixed wakeplate. Never an issue not being able to adjust it. Maybe it's a case of "not knowing what I'm missing"? But we can certainly slalom, wakeboard, and surf behind the ole outback

You mean like this? (see pic #7 in my album)
https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?albumid=287&attachmentid=10686

Try $340 plus
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?14559-Outback-Throw-Seat-Cushion&highlight=jump+seat

pmoomba
09-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Thank all for the input.

So after 2002 when the hull was changed, a fixed wakeplate was always standard, and it was just an option to upgrade to adjustable? I found a couple more threads and it sounds like not having the adjustable isn't going to matter much from a slalom perspective which helps open up some

The netting is what I was looking for, I put some of the same stuff in mine in the side compartments. What do they screw into there?

And thanks, yeah I saw the jump seat thread after I wrote this one. Wonder if it's cheaper to just have a local shop build one.

Anyone know if there are any differences in things like engine box insulation through the years?

zegm
09-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I thought the wakeplate was added to flatten the wake. I have a lot of prop wash on my 98 and a wakeplate probably would help.

We had the same issue with our 2008 LS running a 3 blade 13 x 10.5 prop. I called OJ props and described the issues. He sent us a 4 blade 13 x 13 and it really helped with the wake and the rooster tail. Plus we get better milage and increased top end (like I really need to run her wide open).

viking
09-27-2011, 01:55 PM
As far as the net installation on the sides go - there's a lip on the bottom to screw into and then I screwed into the inside of the Rubrail up top. In fact there are holes on the inside molding already that you can use. Make sure you don't drill "too far" on the bottom. It doesn't take much for the screws to bite anyway.

JERRY2008 OUTBACKV
09-27-2011, 10:33 PM
hello i will post some pictures of my 2 nets i have installed in rear for storage.

JERRY2008 OUTBACKV
09-27-2011, 11:03 PM