PDA

View Full Version : messing around

moombadaze
09-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Hit the lake this morning for a little surfing (quess there was some spammer activity at the time-oh well another mod got them)

anyway- been wanting to try something and figured today was the day.

filled my normall ballast up, its 750 port rear locker, front infloor 400lb bag, 400lb bag under the passenger seats (cooler is cut out) then I added another 400lb bag on top of the port seats as its only my wife, daughter and myself most times so with this its like have some people sitting on the seats for us. For the 3 of us it was one of the better waves we have produced. Lake is overfull as we have had tons of rain so that my be hlping also.

bergermaister
09-25-2011, 08:45 PM
So let's have a look-see. Pics? Vids?
I know some say that sometimes less is more, but my experience has been more is MORE!

moombadaze
09-26-2011, 07:31 AM
less is not worth it and more is just enough if ya ask me-lol

Been thinking about taking some wave photos in sequence from no balast all the way up to my max setup to show the differnce's but photos can be so hard to show it. Any ideas on how to?

bergermaister
09-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Funny, I've thought about doing the same thing. One set with the boat sitting still, probably at the dock or anchored at the beach, and slowly dunking down as the ballast fills. Another set running at surf speed with the wave slowly increasing as the ballast increases.

Trick is you need a controlled "environment" kind of like a science experiment. Mount the camera in the same spot, run the same path through the water, same or close to it speed, etc. I was thinking of doing a time lapsed set of photos and fill the ballast as I'm going. Then splice them all together like a video clip, because the single photo can definitely be deceiving. Thing is I can't fill my two 400's with the handheld while I'm moving 10-11mph. I guess I could start with them already full as my neutral position and then just start filling the others to see the wave change.

Maybe another way to do it would be to have someone surfing the wave, holding the rope, and basically stay in the same spot the whole time. Same setup wit the camera fixed and time lapsed shots. Then keep an eye on the height and length of the wave as the ballast fills.

Our season is pretty much over here. How about I fly down there and we experiment?!

moombadaze
09-26-2011, 09:24 AM
How about I fly down there and we experiment?!
\
GREAT IDEA, as I'm sure my wife and kid will be so happy to help out otherwise