PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Slingshots

trebor-75
09-24-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm an beginner/intermediate rider (just getting into inverts and 3s) and I've been thinking its time to upgrade my board. I really like the sound of the slingshots and I noticed the 2011's are down to $250 on their website. From what I've read they're great boards with good pop and softer landings (which is good because I don't have the best knees)

If you've rode one of these boards, what do you think of them? Is there another flex/hybrid that you like better?

ryan_8099
09-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks for posting this. I really want a slingshot board, might be time to pull the trigger....

ryan_8099
09-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Forgot to add, I ride with a guy that has a 2011 Reflex and he absolutely loves it. He actually bought the 2011 Kine to try it out and decided that he liked the additional flex that the Response/Recoil/Reflex have. He rode a buddys Shane a month or so ago and said he would never go back to a non-flex board. Hope this helps a little bit at least. Never ridden one, but I can't wait to try it out and be able to press out some manuals. I am going to be deciding between the Reflex or Response.

trebor-75
09-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks! I've mostly been looking at the Response, but I've read that the Hooke or Kine might be better for behind a boat... but I suppose what it really comes down to is personal preference. I hate expensive decisions!

brain_rinse
09-25-2011, 09:36 PM
I'll never switch back to a conventional board. 2 years now, same flex board both behind the boat and at the cable. I've tried a couple different slingshots & company (unfortunately no longer in business) wakeboards and the differences were very subtle. The Hooke is an amazing board and if you ride mostly behind the boat that would be my recommendation.

ryan_8099
09-25-2011, 09:38 PM
I decided to pull the trigger on the Reflex today since it is the best of both worlds being the 3 stage hybrid. You are right, it is expensive, but those are a great deal and I knew I wanted to have a SS for next season. Probably can't find a used one or older year for much less. For comparison I almost bid on a 2010 Response on Ebay that went for around 170-180. It was brand new and didn't have the fast track binding system, which will be nice to have. I currently ride a 2011 trip which has the continuos rocker. I figured if I am going flex, might as well try out the boards with the most flex. I was kind of turned off by the Kine/Hooke/Newton? by my friend who went back to the Reflex after trying out the Kine.

Also, I did get a peak at parts of the graphics for the 2012's and the 2011's in general look much better IMO (if you care about that). Anyways, hoping to get the board in this week and will let you know how I like it. Might want to get your size before they sell out and you miss out on the deal. Let me know what you decide on. I don't think you can go wrong any SS board, it was a tough call for me between the Response/Reflex.

Now just to find a great deal on some closed toed bindings before next season....

you da man
09-26-2011, 01:08 AM
I love my 2010 Reflex. I just ordered the 2011 Recoil...why not, only $249 and free shipping.

KG's Supra24
09-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Where are yall getting these discounted Slingshot boards? I know Slingshot used to sell them themselves but I was told they were all out this year.

FWIW, I busted my fasttrack system within one hour of riding my Hooke. Slingshot wasn't able to get me a replacement so I ended up with Liquid Force Watson Hybrid.

The Hooke was super fast. I'm loving the Watson Hybrid and would def recommend it as a flex board.

ryan_8099
09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
www.slingshotsports.com

I know they are out of the 142 Recoil as my friend just got notified after he had ordered...Did SS at least offer some kind of warranty or refund?

Where are yall getting these discounted Slingshot boards? I know Slingshot used to sell them themselves but I was told they were all out this year.

FWIW, I busted my fasttrack system within one hour of riding my Hooke. Slingshot wasn't able to get me a replacement so I ended up with Liquid Force Watson Hybrid.

The Hooke was super fast. I'm loving the Watson Hybrid and would def recommend it as a flex board.

KG's Supra24
09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Wow, I'm hoping they are out of almost all those boards. If not, that's messed up.

They told me they would handle my warranty claim but they didn't have any boards to replace it with and they wouldn't be making anymore. This was end of July and/or early August. Said I could wait for 2012s to come out and they could handle my warranty claim then but if i wanted to board for the next month I would have to handle my claim through the online retailer. Online retailer would only give me store credit so I ended up with their recommendation.

I know there were Slingshot boards for sale when but Slingshot wouldn't get one from another retailer for me and they said they were all out at the factory.

Not sure what the story is behind the scenes but this def frustrates me as far as Slingshot is concerned.

On topic ... I have ridden the Hooke and Reflex. I like the Hooke more, mostly because the reflex was super loose. Based on my experience, with having the track system break and then warranty issue, I would recommend my Watson Hybrid any day of the week.

you da man
09-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I must have just gotten in before they were out of the Recoil in 142. I ordered mine at 12:01am today and just got an email stating my order has been filled and a tracking number.

you da man
09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Wow, I'm hoping they are out of almost all those boards. If not, that's messed up.

They told me they would handle my warranty claim but they didn't have any boards to replace it with and they wouldn't be making anymore. This was end of July and/or early August. Said I could wait for 2012s to come out and they could handle my warranty claim then but if i wanted to board for the next month I would have to handle my claim through the online retailer. Online retailer would only give me store credit so I ended up with their recommendation.

I know there were Slingshot boards for sale when but Slingshot wouldn't get one from another retailer for me and they said they were all out at the factory.

Not sure what the story is behind the scenes but this def frustrates me as far as Slingshot is concerned.

On topic ... I have ridden the Hooke and Reflex. I like the Hooke more, mostly because the reflex was super loose. Based on my experience, with having the track system break and then warranty issue, I would recommend my Watson Hybrid any day of the week.

Website says they are out of stock of all Hooke model boards.

KG's Supra24
09-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Website says they are out of stock of all Hooke model boards.

I asked for a Recoil instead of the Hooke for the replacement. I was told they didn't have any boards other than the Choice or an older girls board.

I have ridden an older recoil and liked it more than the newer reflex. You should like that board and hopefully the track will stay together.

you da man
09-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I asked for a Recoil instead of the Hooke for the replacement. I was told they didn't have any boards other than the Choice or an older girls board.

I have ridden an older recoil and liked it more than the newer reflex. You should like that board and hopefully the track will stay together.

I've been loving the 2010 Reflex and Hyperlite System binding with Kobalt boots. I'm able to poke out my grabs easier.

KG's Supra24
09-26-2011, 05:07 PM
I've been loving the 2010 Reflex and Hyperlite System binding with Kobalt boots. I'm able to poke out my grabs easier.

You should see alot more pop from the Recoil. The Reflex was more subtle coming off the wake.

You seem to be upgrading everything these days for new. Hit me up with the old, whats with the Bullet 770s, upgrading soon? LOL

you da man
09-26-2011, 08:06 PM
You should see alot more pop from the Recoil. The Reflex was more subtle coming off the wake.

You seem to be upgrading everything these days for new. Hit me up with the old, whats with the Bullet 770s, upgrading soon? LOL

Nah, I may have a few new toys here and there but when it comes to gear I'm a patient shopper. I don't need the latest and greatest current year gear. I'll happily take the closeouts towards the end of the season. Plus, living in Texas the season doesn't really end until into November so you can use the closeout gear. I'm keeping the Bullet 770's for a long while. Only upgrade this winter on the boat will be LED's everywhere and the new OJ 5 blade prop. Want my Acme 1235?

KG's Supra24
09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
YDM, thanks but I recently put on an Acme 1433.

As far as warranty, they were set. They couldn't help me because they were out of everything but the Choice and I had to handle the warranty through online retailer. I talked to multiple people there.

trebor-75
09-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Boater, what do you think of your response?

ryan_8099
10-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Season is definitely got over here in Wisconsin. Just got my SS Reflex in yesterday and will be tearing it up multiple times this week, the weather look beautiful. No crazy tricks yet though :(

KG's Supra24
10-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Just checked out wakeworld and noticed multiple post with people having similar problems as mine. If the bindings aren't ripping out, they are sliding out of place in the track ...:cry:

ryan_8099
10-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Just rode my SS Reflex for the first time and must say that I am very happy. It felt about as loose as my LF Trip and every landing felt great. Now I just need to get more confidence when cutting into the wake. It will take some minor adjustments, but definitely worth it. Also, pressing out manuals was MUCH easier.

you da man
10-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Just checked out wakeworld and noticed multiple post with people having similar problems as mine. If the bindings aren't ripping out, they are sliding out of place in the track ...:cry:

I rode my new SS Recoil today for the first time and as for the stance...the fastrack is not wide enough for how I like my bindings. So...I guess the issue with the fastrack slipping is not a problem for me. However on the 2011 Recoil the widest stance on the fastrack is about 1 1/4" more narrow than the standard binding mounts on my 2010 SS Reflex.

you da man
10-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Just rode my SS Reflex for the first time and must say that I am very happy. It felt about as loose as my LF Trip and every landing felt great. Now I just need to get more confidence when cutting into the wake. It will take some minor adjustments, but definitely worth it. Also, pressing out manuals was MUCH easier.

I have a 2010 Reflex and just rode the 2011 Recoil for the first time today and the Reflex is by far more slippery on the water surface...probably due to the turned up rails. The Recoil feels like it's suction cupped to the water surface and you have to really force it to spin for surface tricks. The Recoil does pop a little more than the Reflex as far as I can tell. Today was just my first 2 sets with the Recoil, first set was about 30 min, and sec was about 45 min. A couple more days on the water and I'll have my own final opinion on the Recoil vs. Reflex.

you da man
10-03-2011, 11:59 PM
come on guys - you can't tell me you've all put up the boats for the season and buried your boards in the garage for the season???

OK - we went out last night, the kid nailed a backroll, I did a half-ass raley and the wife had a pretty nasty facial on a switch TS 180... anyone else working the wakeboarding ? don't admit the season's over....

Not done boarding yet. Today the water temp was 81

trebor-75
10-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Well I guess I waited too long... checked the slingshot site again today and the 2011's are back up to $300! Whats up with that?

you da man
10-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Well I guess I waited too long... checked the slingshot site again today and the 2011's are back up to $300! Whats up with that?

That's better than $419 during peak season