View Full Version : Fuel Tax Refund for Boat Fuel

Will Watters
05-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Thought this might be of interest to all. Here in Washington State, we have a hefty tax on gas which supports road repair/construction. Since boats don't use the roads when operating (burning fuel), Washington State will refund a portion of the associated fuel tax. You need a receipt with the gas station address and name on it. You can submit these a couple times a year. Here is the web site and the associated information.



If I have a boat, can I get a refund on the state fuel tax?

Yes. Print off and complete the Application for Fuel Tax Refund Permit Account form, then return it by FAX at (360) 570-7843 or by US mail at the address on the form. Please do not send your invoices at this time.

Upon receipt of your application, the Fuel Tax Exempt Unit will set up a refund permit account and send you a \"Claim for Refunds of Fuel Tax\" form. Return this completed claim form along with your fuel invoices up to 13 months old, as determined by
the postmark. A refund check will be returned to you, along with a new claim form for future use. If you have any questions, please call the Fuel Tax Exempt Unit at (360) 664-1838.

This covers Washington State; those of you in other states may want to check your state laws.


05-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Remember they do charge the sales tax in return and with the cost of gas at over two bucks a gallon the tax break is less this year since the sales tax will be higher. It is still a break for those who burn a lot of gas and keep their receipts. I done it in the past.

05-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Virginia has a similar program.

05-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Not sure about FL but the only thing I could find on GA was for "clear-diesel".

Clark (or other GA residents),
Have you found anything about non-highway refunds for gas tax?

05-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Interesting. I just checked on Michigan, and it states that ski boats are not eligible:

"Recreation - you may not claim any fuel used in ORV's snowmobiles, water skis, pontoons, or pleasure boats. "

05-26-2005, 02:57 PM
I have never heard of anything like that. Now let's think about it.. the Government voluntarily giving money back. I don't see it happening.


06-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Just checked on Florida...no luck. Here's the state by state tax reference:


06-30-2005, 05:35 AM
Virginia: All recreational boaters can apply for a $0.175 per-gallon refund of the state sales tax on highway gasoline, and a $0.16 per-gallon refund on state tax on highway diesel fuel. To qualify, one must purchase at least 5 gallons of fuel per purchase. The refund is available to everyone who applies, not just VA residents.

The forms can be found at any Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) office in Virginia. To download a refund application on-line, go to www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/forms/index.asp and choose form FMS216. For more information, call (804) 367-1831 or (800) 823-8357

So, that's Virginia. Others are embedded below:


01-30-2006, 10:50 PM
I've been submitting my WA state receipts for about 4 years now. The form is pretty simple and the refund comes fairly quick. One of the few perks for being a WA state boat owner! :-)

05-03-2006, 12:57 AM
resurection of a dead post, but I found this.


05-03-2006, 02:14 AM
You mean you found the link that was posted two above yours ?


Always good to bring this thread back... for whatever reason.