PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Suggestions and thoughts please

toronto boater
09-22-2011, 02:12 PM
I currently have a 1991 Sunbird Corsair, 19ft cuddy with a 4.3 I/O OMC Cobra. I am an avid slalom skiier and am looking to upgrade to a more specialized ski boat, which is also newer and more reliable. I am considering a direct drive ski boat, in the $20,000 to $25,000 (Canadian) range and wanted suggestions. To buy a Mastercraft, Malibu or Correct Craft (ski nautique) in that price range, I would have to go as far back as a 1999 to 2002 model. If I am prepared to buy a Moomba, I can go closer to a 2005 model or so. I know that the Moomba is a downgrade from the others, but at my skill level and needs, I would be prepared to do it, provided that the boat is RELIABLE.

So my question is, because I am very concerned about reliability, should I opt for the Moomba (which is newer) or am I better off with an older model from the "big three".
And how far back should I go, if I want to minimize any reliabilty issues? Ideally, I would stay in the 5 years or less range, but this will be very expensive for a ski boat.

One more question re: direct drives - this is my first one, and I like the fact that I can currently trim up my I/O in shallow water. There is one area of the lake which is shallow (my sister's dock) and I would need to go there periodically - what is the minimum depth I would be able to go (very slowly) with a direct drive that cannot be trimmed up?

Thanks for your thoughts.

bergermaister
09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I know that the Moomba is a downgrade from the others maybe in price friend but there's a lot of $$ wrapped up in paying for a name. I'd buy another Moomba in a heartbeat and would be more likely to look at another Moomba than another brand after owning one.

Although I have a V-drive my boat is 10yrs old and more reliable than any other vehicle I've owned. This partly comes from proper care and feeding (aka maintenance).

Although there will be an advertised draft on any boat you look at I'd suggest about 3ft as the absolute minimum to idle through and only if it's a sandy bottom! I wouldn't do that in a rocky place. Variations on the bottom, rocks/logs, waves, etc. could cause problems. I'll get out and push from the swim platform rather than take my chances in the shallows.

viking
09-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm kinda taken back - you actually on the moomba forum stating that Moomba's are inferior? Bells and wistles cost extra and add to the price. It has nothing to do with "reliability". Figure out what's more important to you.....all the creature comforts that come at a cost, or functionality and affordability. There is a reason that the slogan is "NO WORRIES, Just Enjoy". No worrying about making the next payment :)
I love my Outback and tournament quality slalom wake. Main issue for me is my current boat is getting small for my family/friends, and the local SC dealer is a flake. These are the ONLY reasons I would buy a new boat and consider a different brand.
As far as shallow operation. I'd say you could run wide open in 4-5ft. of water. Although I wouldn't recommend it!! The tracking fins and prop aren't any more than 18-24inches below the bottom of the hull.

One thing is for certain. Once you go direct or V-drive.........you'll never go back!!

wolfeman131
09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
I know that the Moomba is a downgrade from the others

Ohhhhh, them's fighting words 'round here! Especially when coming from a guy with a Sunbird. :)

Just kidding w/ ya but I agree with what Berg stated. Also, take a close look at the components like the engine, tranny, etc that are keys to your goal of being reliable and you will find little difference between the brands you have listed. You may also want to look at an '06 or newer Moomba which, I believe, is the year the motors switched over to EFI vs carb.

Keep asking questions and we'll help you out.

bret
09-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I've got a boat similar to Berg's - 2000 MobiusV. We were a little hesitant with shallow water as my old boat was a pure outboard that could trim up (I even busted the trim motor a few years back since I loaded the back up and hit the bottom) - but so far (fingers crossed) we haven't done any visible damage to the prop. I'm much more careful with a new boat! Depth finder reports the dept as low as 2.7 feet going through some of the channels, but the lake bottom is sandy/muck and rocky areas are pretty visible to avoid. Launching from our permanent dock is a little nervous since we always turn up so much muck throwing it in reverse, but after we got the boat out of the water I didn't notice any damage to the prop. The first few times we paddled it out some distance (gotta baby the new boat! wish i had pictures of us doing that the first time), but over time I think we will be more confident. There are other inboards (mastercraft/malibu) parked a few feet from our dock and they just gun it in reverse as well - I can't imagine its much deeper where they are. The lakes are pretty clean and free of debris which helps also.

As far as reliability goes, I think each boat can give you a different experience. We got a ours with 500+ hours on it but it started like a champ every weekend this summer. As far as I know the engine is the same make (indmar) as a friend's malibu, so that's some food for thought. The previous owner took good care of it as far as I can tell.

I'm still learning things, but it sounds like you are in a similar situation as I was earlier this year. (Although we are trying to get more into wakeboarding than skiing with a little kneeboarding on the side) We hunted for any kind of boat (we aren't brand buyers) but the best deal we found after a month of searching was a moomba, and so far we are happy with it. I'm sure you will find similar stories with other brands, just try to find something that fits you. For us it was this 2000 moomba mobius v.

(BTW we started with an '89 forester evinrude 80 HP outboard, so it was quite a leap for us :)

maxpower220
09-22-2011, 04:42 PM
You will find the same engine (Indmar) in MC, Bu and Moomba. Electronics are slightly different on each, but there is no reason to think any will have better or worse reliability than the other. CC uses PCM, but they still provide the same reliability.
Coming from an I/O, the wake and skiability of dedicated inboards will be vastly superior to your boat.

I will ski in known areas of 42" of water. Using an in and out of gear approach, I will go until the skegs make contact. Slowly.

moombadaze
09-22-2011, 06:26 PM
2 Moomba's since 03--no issues= no worries

rdlangston13
09-22-2011, 06:28 PM
where we ride when the water is full there is a channel to get from a cove to the river and under normal condtions the water is 3 feet deep in that channel. in july we were going thru there with the water down a foot, turned up a trail a muck behind the boat but that was it. it was all very very sandy solft silt. you stand in it and you sink up to your thighs. we wakeboarding in 4-5 ft of water before, didnt like doing it and i was nervous as hell but it is possible

zabooda
09-22-2011, 08:17 PM
I think anyone who purchased a used Moomba probably looked at the other boat options either getting an older one or spend more money. I opted for the newer Moomba and never regretted it. At 13 years old, my boat only had one problem and that was the engine water pump failed this year.

Hoopskier
09-23-2011, 03:20 AM
I am an owner of an '03 Outback. I have been nothing but happy with my boat. I agree with points previously mentioned. Same compainies provide the hardware, (example; Indmar engines, Walters Vdrives, OJ props) used by the other big name boat builders as what Moomba uses. Assuming for slalom skiing, you are looking for a direct drive, you would be looking at an Outback. The current hull dates back to the 2003 model. Minor cosmetic changes over the years.

Moomba in not an inferrior product, just less "bling" to lower cost. If you go newer you can get fuel injection vs carb. Newer electric speed pick up, paddle wheel vs pitot tube. Newer will also get you all fiberglass construction, no wood stringers as in older boats.

As for depth, can get pretty shallow when idling. I would say 2-3 ft. Your I/O probably is still drafting more water than my DD even when trimmed up.

Good luck in your boat search.

jmvotto
09-23-2011, 06:56 AM
The ouback DD or older gen obv 06 to 08 with throw down a great slalom wake. there are a few members in your neck of the woods that are looking at selling as well. for your price range the DD or an 02 to 05 lsv same hull as the (06 to 08 obv) would be in your canadian price range.

i love the moomba brand, my boat has never failed me yet and has always performed to expectaions.

turn key and go.

KSmith
09-23-2011, 07:27 AM
I know that the Moomba is a downgrade from the others.

I suggest you buy what your ego deems necessary for you to feel better about yourself at the boat launch...

Moomba is far to practical and ghetto for your jaded tastes...

jmvotto
09-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Moomba is far to practical and ghetto for your jaded tastes...
Hey I resemble that remark.... LOL:D

lsvboombox
09-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Ed is gonna request this thread be deleted. Its got a negative comment on moombas

toronto boater
09-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I meant no offence by suggesting that Moomba was a "downgrade" and hope none was taken by all of you folks. I am a newbie who is new to the world of inboards, and only recognized the price difference (which is what I meant) and wanted to ask if it affects the things which are truly important - performance and reliability. If all I cared about was the MC or Malibu name, than I wouldn't have asked you fine folks for your thoughts and experiences. There's no question about performance with the Moomba hull and its excellent wake, and I wanted your thoughts on the reliability question as compared to the other brands. I appreciate the feedback and helpful points and will definitely consider a Moomba as I search for local deals over the coming months. Thanks again.

wolfeman131
09-23-2011, 10:30 AM
No worries! We have fun just "busting stones" around here. So, since you have already endured this hazing, you won't have to do it again when you come back posting pics of your new Moomba!

Good luck on the search and let the folks here know if you need any help.

Ed G
09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
"Ed is gonna request this thread be deleted. Its got a negative comment on moombas"

Nope. not gonna request it be deleted. I'm gonna try to sell it.

Who wants to come package it for me?

NCSUmoomba
09-23-2011, 04:34 PM
toronto,

I would not really shy away from any of the tournament inboard boats. The quality and reliability of these boats is on par with one another. As other have suggested, the big differences are the "bells and whistles." My 2001 Outback has over 525 hours on it with no issues (that I didn't cause, like running out of gas). It is AWSA approved to pull tournaments, and the slalom wake is pretty nice, but still has a decent sized "speed bump" at the wakes, but again, that is my fault. I primarly wakeboard with my boat, so I have lots of extra gear and a tower and a ridiculous stereo and extra batteries, so my boat is pretty heavy for an Outback, so it messes up the wake. I also ski a little on the slow side which also affects the size of the wake. Up at around 34 mph, the wake is super nice.

I think the key to finding the right boat is finding one with a reasonable number of hours, that someone has take good care of. These boats will run forever if they are taken care of. Personally, I would make sure the boat has fuel injection, but a lot of guys swear that a carburated engine will run just as good. In my experience, the things that will wear out the quickest, are the vinyl and the carpet.

When I bought my boat, I was looking for a good deal. I went to Atlanta with the intent of buying a Supra that I found in my price range. When I got to the lot, the salesguy knew about the Outback that I ended up buying and he mentioned it, in case I was curious about wakeboarding. So I go my Outback with a tower w/ rack & lights and and nice stereo, and with 500 LESS hours on it, for the same price as what the Supra would have been, without all that stuff.

As far as the shallow water, I would agree that the I/O probably draws more water that a inboard. You have to remember that most inboard boats have bottoms that are essentially flat towards the aft, where I/O's have some sort of a V shape. I think the published draft of my Outback is something like 21 inches, which when you think about it, is below your knees. That is pretty shallow.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck boat shopping.

moombadaze
09-23-2011, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=toronto boater;156958] I know that the Moomba is a downgrade from the others
QUOTE]

How do you know the Moomba is a downgrade? Wonder why you think this?

rdlangston13
09-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Any one on here who does not think a moomba is a down grade from a mastercraft, natique, or Malibu is in serious denial

Ed G
09-24-2011, 06:53 AM
"Any one on here who does not think a moomba is a down grade from a mastercraft, natique, or Malibu is in serious denial "

Don't forget to add a Supra to that list.

I think people are getting upset without really understanding the definition of "downgrade".

downgrade:

1.To lower the status or salary of.
2. To minimize the importance, value, or reputation of.

so, yes I happen to agree....a Moomba is still perceived as a "downgrade" compared to the boats listed above and many others.

Downgrade does not define the quality of the product...and we all know the quality of Moomba is pretty damn good and keeps getting better every year!

A Nova was a downgrade from a Cadillac. They both did the same thing, but one was deliberately marketed to a different population.

Same as Moomba - it is marketed to average Joe Boater (who has an average income) who wants to enjoy the boating lifestyle and doesn't care about the bling.

Downgrade. Yup. Downgrade

tarkus70
09-24-2011, 08:30 AM
I have put more hours on my Moomba than most of my friends this year due to them having problems with their "Bling" boats. I am not a fan of gadgets I like my boat simple. I have one guy who has not been able to use his Sunsetter due to the computer this has been going on for over a month. Another one same brand has no display on his dash it has been back to the dealer many times. I could go on and on about all the problems. My last thought is this more gadgets more things to go wrong. Oh and I am convert to Moomba I was a die hard MC guy I just could not see getting all the bling for mostly the same boat.

rdlangston13
09-24-2011, 11:05 AM
The is one time that I agree with ED. Downgrade does not mean a sacrifice in reliability, just a sacrifice in the luxury items on the boat. I have never had a problem with my boat starting when I turn the key, fire right up every time. However my vinyl is not the same thickness as say supra and it is really starting to show on my 2008. I dont have flip down armrest on the bow seats like a MC or the rear bench that flips up and over to make a rear facing bench with backrest but my boat runs, puts out a decent wake, and does not really every break down. The more gizmos you have on a boat the more things that can potentially go wrong.

Mikey
09-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Basically a 15 k difference when i bought my Moomba vs MC or Malibu did not equal Downgrade it was Money Wisely spent. I can live without the Bling, and the skiability might be Slightly different but certainly not 15 k different,That coming from a MC and a Malibu owner.Both friends have skied behind my boat numerous times and with No complaints .

My Boat is usually run full of crap,Skis,ropes,vests.With a tower and usual family comforts etc vs the one boat that is run as a Pure ski boat. No tower and absolutely no unnecessary items to add ANY weight. So yeah sure the wake is better,but as mentioned mine is a family boat that happens to ski Well.

Really depends on What your priorities are and also how much Bling and Name brands are worth to you. I love my Moomba and to me its been the much better decission all along.