PDA

View Full Version : California Info???

iwaterskihard
09-22-2011, 08:24 AM
SO..........................................I might have an opportunity to move south to California for work? Any members from souther California who can tell me about local lakes and where they are?

Job opportunity is in Bakersfield. I have never been there but am going down in the 3rd week of Oct to do some work there and check things out?

Any info would be greatly appreciated Moomba gang!

Ed G
09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I used to live in Temecula and haunted Lake Elsinore.

Let's just say, I really prefer Florida lakes.

Elsinore was always very crowded and you had to pay a $15 fee to use the ramps (most Florida ramps are free).

PWC use was out of control.

Razzman
09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Bakersfield isn't really considered to be SoCal, it's actually the southern most populated region of the California's San Joaquin Valley. If I was in your position and moving to Cali, Bakersfield would be near the bottom of my list. It's going to be a total 180 coming from Canada, very hot in the summers. With the exception of the coastal, foothill and mountain regions most of California is either reclaimed swamp or deserts, Bakersfield being the latter. It's not the prettiest are for sure, but the mountains aren't too far off.

That being said there are no lakes close by with the exception of Lake Isabella (http://www.lakeisabella.net/) which is up the sierras about an hour or so away. Any other lakes are way farther out.
Forget Ed's reference to Elsinore, it's a nasty, smelly crap hole anyway and not indicative of Cali lakes and nowhere near Bakersfield. Yes there's launch fee's at every lake in California as all are either Federal, State or concession run.

Also, California is the second on the list of states hit the hardest by the recession / housing collapse. Foreclosures are prevelent everywhere, great for home buyers but not so great for property values, taxes are high here and the unemployment rate is well over 12%. If I could I personally would be gone from this state but circumstances dictate otherwise at this time. Sorry to sound like a buzzkill but it's how I see it, I've lived in Cali most of my life and would really hate to see someone make a move like this without some real intel and opinions.

In the end though it's your call. If your coming down for a look see then you can make up your own mind.

Lawdog
09-22-2011, 02:27 PM
I have to agree with Razzman. I'm from Southern Cali (San Diego). I have family in San Diego, Carlsbad, Temecula, El Cajon so on and so forth. California is a FANTASTIC place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I've had numerous opportunities to move back and I refuse. Take it for what it's worth though. I suppose if you hate the cold Canadian winters then California would be a dream spot.

wolfeman131
09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
I have to agree with Razzman. I'm from Southern Cali (San Diego). I have family in San Diego, Carlsbad, Temecula, El Cajon so on and so forth. California is a FANTASTIC place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I've had numerous opportunities to move back and I refuse. Take it for what it's worth though. I suppose if you hate the cold Canadian winters then California would be a dream spot.

DANG! That's something coming from a guy who lives in South Bend, INDIANA!

sandm
09-22-2011, 05:58 PM
half of our city has been populated with californians that have left in the last 10 years from either la or the san juqoine(sp) valley.

99.9% say they would never go back..

rdlangston13
09-22-2011, 06:31 PM
i wish california would just break off and float away....

moombadaze
09-22-2011, 06:38 PM

december 23 2012--well, was'nt that the date in the movie 2012

Check out Lake Shasta-not sure how far away that is but I have fond memories of that lake

maxpower220
09-22-2011, 07:13 PM
If you look in the back of WaterSki Magazine, there are a few private slalom lakes near Bakersfield. They are man made and you probably have to live in the community to use them.

I was stationed in San Diego for a few years. I loved it and if it weren't for family, I would move back to San Diego. Passing through Bakersfield did not impress me though. Either San Diego or around the San Fran area, seemed like the only "good" places to live.

Razzman
09-22-2011, 07:16 PM

That's funny, I felt the same way about Texas when i was there. :rolleyes:

zabooda
09-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Years ago, I didn't think much of Californians coming up here with loads of money and raising home prices but since the housing market has crashed it seems to even out in the end. It's amazing how mortgage debt will keep people in one place for awhile. I'm not much for crowds anywhere I go so I live out in the middle of nowhere so with air temps in the low 90s and water warmer than the end of July you know where I will be at.

rdlangston13
09-22-2011, 10:07 PM
That's funny, I felt the same way about Texas when i was there. :rolleyes:

Texas suck, taxes are outrageous, you can't find a job anywhere, the schools are horrible, the roads are falling apart, it stinks like cattle everywhere and most places don't have running water, still have to use an outhouse. So if any of you were planning on moving to Texas save yourself TD trouble and DONT DO IT! Please tell all your friends and family too, everyone must be warned!

zabooda
09-23-2011, 12:04 AM
rd, thats funny right there. You got me 'cept the outhouse as I know someone who no longer has one. I really like Texas but I'm down there after a hurricane and that hasn't happened for a while. Great people and food.

kaneboats
09-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Just found out I'm going to Big D in 2012 for a work thing. Love them visits to TX.

iwaterskihard
09-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Appreciate the feedback guys and thanks! If I do decide to make the move it will ONLY be work related and probably a 5 year contract? I have NO intentions on selling my home in Canada. We have the nicest lakes in the world IMO.
I have heard Bakersfield isn't that great? I'm going there 3rd week in Oct to check it out? My plan was actually to look at something between Bakersfield and LA as I would still be doing LOTS of travelling with my job. However that travel would take me to Casper, Vernal, and Williston as well as Bakersfield. My reasoning for choosing CA was the availability of year round skiing.
I will look into some of the private sites and lakes.

Razzman
09-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Texas suck, taxes are outrageous, you can't find a job anywhere, the schools are horrible, the roads are falling apart, it stinks like cattle everywhere and most places don't have running water, still have to use an outhouse. So if any of you were planning on moving to Texas save yourself TD trouble and DONT DO IT! Please tell all your friends and family too, everyone must be warned!

Don't worry rd there's no fear of that happening! :D No dispespect to you Texans but I hate the place. I've had multiple business trips to the Dallas / Farmers Branch region, sucked. Spent three days in Lubbock on another biz trip, sucked more. Midland sure was no better. My biological mother lives somewhere (?) in Texas along with two half-sisters, one of which is in Ennis, the other who knows. Never visited, never will. It is the flatest place I've ever been, the tallest thing as far as I could see is the tiny little hill in Irving where WalMart is. I love that I can look out my window and see the Sierra Nevada mountains, in Texas all I could see was cows with big horns :D

Razzman
09-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Appreciate the feedback guys and thanks! If I do decide to make the move it will ONLY be work related and probably a 5 year contract? I have NO intentions on selling my home in Canada. We have the nicest lakes in the world IMO.
I have heard Bakersfield isn't that great? I'm going there 3rd week in Oct to check it out? My plan was actually to look at something between Bakersfield and LA as I would still be doing LOTS of travelling with my job. However that travel would take me to Casper, Vernal, and Williston as well as Bakersfield. My reasoning for choosing CA was the availability of year round skiing.

Just for the record, the only thing pretty much between Bakersfield and LA is a very large mountain range affectionately know as the "grapvine" and not much fun to drive. I do believe however thay may have developed some small communities or developments up there, been awhile since I've been down there, I avoid it at all costs. LA traffic is probably the worst in the country second only to NYC :( But if it's only five years then maybe you can hack it without turning into Road Rage Iwaterskihard! :D

dusty2221
09-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Lol, Razz, I'd hate it too if those were the visits I made!! You basically came to all the Arm-pits of Texas!!! You guys let me know when business sends to to the DFW area!

rdlangston13
09-23-2011, 11:26 AM

You must be in the oil field? And yeah Razz Texas totally blows. Becareful on your trip to Dallas Kane. Crime is horrible, once the street lights come on you better be inside. And carry alot of quarters, everything is a toll road.

Razzman
09-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Lol, Razz, I'd hate it too if those were the visits I made!! You basically came to all the Arm-pits of Texas!!! You guys let me know when business sends to to the DFW area!

Yeah I found that out after the fact! LOL! I know there's some areas of Texas that are quite beautiful, unfortunately the company social director didn't include them in the itinerary!

Razzman
09-23-2011, 11:47 AM
You must be in the oil field? And yeah Razz Texas totally blows. Becareful on your trip to Dallas Kane. Crime is horrible, once the street lights come on you better be inside. And carry alot of quarters, everything is a toll road.

Actually it was while working for Cingular / AT&T. My team was scattered all over the country and Farmers Branch was where my Director was based so we met every year as a team there for a week. The other locales was when I'd travel to a Cingular Call Center for lease rolls on servers and such. Go figure I'm on the west coast yet i was in charge of four call centers in Texas, for the record we had three guys in Texas, go figure :rolleyes: And the damn toll roads threw me the first time there for sure! Rent a car and hit the freeway at DFW only to stop 30 seconds later and pay, couple more miles and pay, and again, etc! Learned the backroads real quick! lol!

iwaterskihard
09-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Yes I am in the oilfield. I have no issues with an hour drive either way to and from work if I can find a place to get my boat in the water and ride .
As stated earlier I will do some research into ski lakes etc prior to my trip down there. Ultimately if I should accept the position all I'm bringing is my wife, kid, clothes, and boat for the time I would be down there?

kaneboats
09-23-2011, 02:08 PM

I'll be sure and do that. I think it's not till October 2012 though.

I figure I'll hop the stage from the train cuz they'll have somebody ridin' shotgun. I've seen Texas in the movies.

rdlangston13
09-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Actually it was while working for Cingular / AT&T. My team was scattered all over the country and Farmers Branch was where my Director was based so we met every year as a team there for a week. The other locales was when I'd travel to a Cingular Call Center for lease rolls on servers and such. Go figure I'm on the west coast yet i was in charge of four call centers in Texas, for the record we had three guys in Texas, go figure :rolleyes: And the damn toll roads threw me the first time there for sure! Rent a car and hit the freeway at DFW only to stop 30 seconds later and pay, couple more miles and pay, and again, etc! Learned the backroads real quick! lol!

the oil field thing was meant for iwaterskihard. sorry for the confusion!

as far as the arm pit of Texas goes, Lubbock is about as pretty as it gets here in Texas. Dallas is disgusting, smells worse than new orleans and has slums worse than detroit. the pollution is houston is so bad visibility is limited to about 3/4 a mile on the best days. there is no where on earth with worse traffic than austin, and san antonio is over run by spanish speaking illegal immigrants selling drugs and killing babies. Texas is a horrible horrible state. Don't go there.

jpetty3023
09-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Easy fellas, y'all talking about the great state of Texas in vain. Our governor is fixin' to be yalls president!! Hook 'Em

Mikey
09-23-2011, 06:49 PM
I skihard.Sounds like Alberta Winters etc might not be so bad. Maybe time to reconsider?Funny I/we love to go South to different US states,but as tourists. Now when you hear whats its more like from a Locals perspective,kinda gets you thinking how good we really have it here,minus the crappy weather,but thats only 9 months a year?????LOL.

I have to admit ,i've never been to any of the city's listed except San Diego,Which is one spot as a tourist i would definetely Love to see more of. As for Texas ,I HAD other images in my mind. Maybe time to rethink the next holiday either to go/or not go.Good luck in your quest.

Razzman
09-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Our governor is fixin' to be yalls president!! Hook 'Em

What, he wants out of Texas too? Bwahaha! :D

rdlangston13
09-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Every one in Texas wants to be out of that crappy waste land. Dallas has earth quakes now.

jpetty3023
09-23-2011, 11:45 PM
LMAO Razz, guess I should have seen that one coming!!! Take everyone with ya coyote killa, free up some of the promise land for us loyals