PDA

View Full Version : Winterize reminder for 98 mobius

vtox39
09-21-2011, 09:10 AM
This is my first moomba and inboard that I have ever owned and will be winterizing it this weekend. I have winterized i/o before but just wanted to make sure that I am not forgetting anything on this boat. Please let me know if you would add anything to what i have below.

Drain Engine Block--
drain manifolds---although I did not see a brass plug on the bottom of the manifolds like the i/o....guess i will have to drain hoses then
remove impeller? ---i can see coating it with vaseline but why take it out if there is nothing wrong with it?
fuel stabil---and run engine to get stabil circulated through carb and fuel lines
change oil----i changed the oil in this boat one month ago and the oil only has about 6 hours on it so im thinking of skipping this step
pull the battery---
give her a good wash and wax and tuck her away for the winter

I keep my boat in VA close to the lake where I am from which is Smith Mountain Lake, VA. I hate to end the season but I have to be in Atlanta 3 weeks out of the month so I only get back to va once per month since moving to Atlanta. I am still fortunate to have a few friends to go out on Lake Lanier and ride with when I can't make it home on the weekends to use my boat in VA. Just joined this forum this summer and it has been awesome and very informative. Also been very fun to meet other proud moomba owners!

zabooda
09-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Fog the engine, drain the water pump hoses and remove water from the heater and shower if you have them.

DOCDRS
09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
This is my first moomba and inboard that I have ever owned and will be winterizing it this weekend. I have winterized i/o before but just wanted to make sure that I am not forgetting anything on this boat. Please let me know if you would add anything to what i have below.

Drain Engine Block--
drain manifolds---although I did not see a brass plug on the bottom of the manifolds like the i/o....guess i will have to drain hoses then
remove impeller? ---i can see coating it with vaseline but why take it out if there is nothing wrong with it?
fuel stabil---and run engine to get stabil circulated through carb and fuel lines
change oil----i changed the oil in this boat one month ago and the oil only has about 6 hours on it so im thinking of skipping this step
pull the battery---
give her a good wash and wax and tuck her away for the winter

I keep my boat in VA close to the lake where I am from which is Smith Mountain Lake, VA. I hate to end the season but I have to be in Atlanta 3 weeks out of the month so I only get back to va once per month since moving to Atlanta. I am still fortunate to have a few friends to go out on Lake Lanier and ride with when I can't make it home on the weekends to use my boat in VA. Just joined this forum this summer and it has been awesome and very informative. Also been very fun to meet other proud moomba owners!

Remove pet cocks entirely and poke block holes with a wire so the block can drain entirely
Fog engine as previously added
manifolds should have a quick disconnect connecting them .....disconnect it
remove intake line at tranny cooler to drain
some think its better to have the impeller veins at rest during the lay up period, glycerin is better than vaseline on rubber
you should be fine on the oil, you could just suck out the oil and replace with new before you run the stabil thru if you want to be anal
disconnect the 2 speedo pick up lines at the mdc located under the helm.

loosen your shaft to tranny coupler bolts and coat the mating surfaces with minimal vaseline ...... I personally don't do this , but if you have never checked your alignment then its a good time to do it. A lightly oiled rag/paper towel slipped between the couplers should lube these surfaces

vtox39
09-21-2011, 01:14 PM
when you say loosen your shaft to tranny coupler bolts are you talking about the shaft packing?? will water stay in the shaft packing and potentially freeze? if it is not loosened for the winter?