PDA

View Full Version : How long to winterize?

DOCDRS
09-20-2011, 12:51 PM
How long do you take to properly winterize your boat? I am going to time myself this year, maybe even make a video to back it up.

kaneboats
09-20-2011, 01:12 PM
About 20 seconds. I hit the "down" button on the garage door.

wolfeman131
09-20-2011, 01:39 PM
about 10 sec for my AmEx card to be swiped and receipt signed, not including drive time to the dealer

squeeg333
09-20-2011, 01:45 PM
I think Al did everyone a HUGE favor on this site by providing that awesome step-by-step winterizing procedure with photos. Certainly priceless. A video is the next best thing for sure!

I would say, for me, it takes me a good solid 8 hours. I don't think it would take me more than about 4, but that includes a thorough wash/wax/detail inside and outside the boat. All the engine/tranny/v-drive and misc winterizing doesn't take all that long. It's just the cleaning is what gets me into hotter water with the Mrs!!

jpetty3023
09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
10 seconds, haha. That's what we did in TX until last season when we had a hard freeze for 5+ days and tons of blocks froze/cracked/new ones ordered. Think I'll be doing the Amex route this year myself

sandm
09-20-2011, 06:53 PM
I agree with squeeg.

8 hrs, or a full day here. try to spend the day the 2 of us cleaning/winterizing, then ordering pizza and downing some beer over the course of the day. makes for a nice afternoon and a great way to finish the season/dream about next year.
batteries are the last thing to come out, as we crank the tunes until done :)

zabooda
09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Winterizing takes way too long. I do as little as possible to get the anguish over with as I am more excited in the spring to do more. It takes me a couple of hours but I drain the gas tank, run stabile gas through the carb, fog the engine, drain the system and remove the battery. I take off all the bling on the tower and lower it and cover the boat for a long winter's night. I leave it outside all year long so I also remove the trailer pads, the rear deck and the spare tire.

moombadaze
09-20-2011, 07:51 PM
about 4 hrs myself but thats all detailing/cleaning for the winter sleep

Mikey
09-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Just did mine this weekend. Took about 2 hrs including,change oil and tranny fluid. That does Not include the thourough clean/wax and Tarping still to come though.

This was with music playing and taking my time,till the rain storm came,then cleanup was done rather quickly.

psycho-heico
09-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Mikey...
I guess your not going to enjoy the 27 degree friday...that will be my last outing and winterize after that...

moombadaze
09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
summer is just to dang short even in the south!

Man I do feel for you guys up north and your ultra short time on the water

T100
09-22-2011, 12:22 AM
How long do you take to properly winterize your boat? I am going to time myself this year, maybe even make a video to back it up.

Doc, please do a video!!!!!

tarkus70
09-22-2011, 08:01 AM
It takes me about 4 hours to winterize. That's draining the ballast system and blowing out all the lines for the heater and shower plus all the engine stuff like oil change and filling with coolant. The wash and wax are done by a friend before it goes away and then just a cover. This year it may take longer due to I have to take the carb off to rebuild it over the winter I am also taking the sun pad off to get it recovered so maybe 5 hours this year.

Mikey
09-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Psycho, I only winterized this early due to my boat is outta action since Sept long weekend,having a tire blowout returning from a day of skiing . This resulted in a Blown tire, a bent rim, and a Mangled fender. There are pics in another post,somone else helped load up. I am going out skiing this weekend in return i will help ,friends /new boat owners,winterize there boat after that.

The damage to my boat/trailer was not too terrible other than the fact i need to order parts from Boatmate in Tennassee,which was Not gonna happen in time for me to get back out this season .So , i will take my time and get a colour matched fender and a proper replacement rim ,then pick up a tire locally. This can be done anytime between now and spring. Otherwise i'm out taking care of outside yard /house maintenance issues i've been putting off for the last couple years , Painting ,Deck repair etc.