PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Opinion for 2000 Moomba MobiusV

ryan_8099
09-20-2011, 09:48 AM
We just got our *new* 2000 Moomba MobiusV just over a month ago. We will mostly be using the boat for wakeboarding and I don't really see us surfing anytime soon. It is out of the water and at the dealer to get some work done (Ballast, Monster Tower among some minor fixes) I have been doing research on how to weight this boat and have talked to a few people here, but would like any other opinions. We are planning on going with 2x 750s in the rear and a 650 center bag (I thought there was a 750lb fly high center bag, but apparently not) If these bags fill fully up, I can't imagine 2100lbs not being enough. My only concern is the wakeshape and how well the boat planes. Think we will have any issues without putting in a front/bow bag? Thanks for your help.

wolfeman131
09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
That sounds like a good start but probably the most important item is to get the right prop. Try it out and then use people ballast to see what happens when you have some weight in the bow.

bergermaister
09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
This 750 should fit nicely in your basement locker, filling full without bunching, while still giving you storage in front of it and underneath the playpen seating.
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-sac.html

Forgot to ask prior - do you have a wakeplate? I don't but understand that can really help to clean up and shape your wake.

Wolfman is dead on too with his suggestion.

ryan_8099
09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Yes, we have a wakeplate. Haven't messed around with it too much with the stock wake, but it seems like 25% down (75% on the gauge) produces a little steeper of a wake. Prop will likely have to wait since we are putting a lot of money into the boat this year and we don't have PP or Moomba cruise which I would almost want before t. Since we are having the dealership do the ballast we can't really try and decide. We will have to tell them, 4 or 3 bag system. Maybe it will be better to put a bag in the bow to plane us off...

bergermaister
09-21-2011, 06:36 PM
since we are putting a lot of money into the boat this year

Yeah, and next year, and the next, and next...

I'm with ya man. First did stereo. Then LEDs. Then ballast. Then ballast again. Then more LEDs. Then PerfectPass. Then more tower "stuff".

Probably do stereo again (partially), prop for sure, more LEDs (it's a sickness), a few ballast tweaks?, start looking at interior and carpet, possibly a bimini. Just not necessarily in that order.

You'll probably have better luck with a 3 bag system. Just more simple overall, especially with the design of this hull you may find options for weighting the front very limited.

ryan_8099
09-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Well fortunately for my wallet, unfortunately for the cool factor the cops on our lakes are super strict so we would immediately get pulled over if we played our music just a little too loud. The stock 4 kicker speakers put out enough juice to get us in trouble already. We have a few green LEDS, but it is pretty risky taking it out at night, so they rarely get used. It gets very shallow through the channels 2-3 feet deep as well as at our dock. The LEDs do look awesome though.

Any experience with the trim around the interior by the carpet? Ours is pulled away in some parts, it should probably just be replaced and then glued back on. Just need to figure out some good material to use.

This is our ever growing list:
Monster Tower
Racks - Ski/Wakeboard
Mirror
Ballast
Custom cover
PP or Moomba cruise (would be interested in hearing the price difference between these)
Seadek or Gatorgrip swim platform
Carpet
Monster Bimini
Moomba or Mobius Graphics

Not to mention the new Slingshot wakeboard I want to get before next season. Still got a few more weeks of cold weather riding (Tomorrows high is 49 and we are going out) on a friends boat here in Wisconsin, but I am already anxious to get our boat work done and take it out in the spring. It is definitely an addiction now.

kaneboats
09-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Got a nice list going there. Let's see some pics of what you're starting with. We love 'em all around here.

ryan_8099
09-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Here is what we are starting with, I will try to get a few up of the green LEDs later. Hopefully you won't even recognize it next spring...

kaneboats
09-22-2011, 10:57 AM
That thing looks brand new. Does it have a new interior in it?

ryan_8099
09-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks, we are pretty sure he replaced the seat Vinyl, but I think some of it is original (Sun pad and maybe the sides).We didn't get to really ask him since his dad was the one we met with when we picked it up. It has 580 hours on it so we kind of assumed. Either way, it is in pristine condition which is why we were willing to pay asking price (16,500) The only interior that needs to be done really is the trim and maybe a carpet cleaning/replacement. Definitely have a lot of money to put into it, but I think we will still come out ahead since it was 22 or more for a boat that had all of the features we wanted.

kaneboats
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Well, congrats! I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of you around here. Welcome!

bergermaister
09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Shore is a purty boat ya got there Ryan - looks real familiar too! haha. I love the black.

Can't wait to see your progress with it.

wolfeman131
09-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Looks great Ryan & Bret! Good list too, but I'd get the right prop (you may already have it) near the top of the list. It can make all he difference.

bret
09-22-2011, 04:16 PM
In case anyone has seen my other posts.... I own half of the boat you are all admiring. Preferably the back half since that is where the engine is. :)

Can't wait for all the work to be done on it this winter. Mostly a working speedometer. :)