PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove switch panel from dash?

Stazi
09-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Hi, I am looking to upgrade the GI ballast system in my 2004 Mobius LS in the future and would like to remove the accessory switch from the switch panel and replace it with another factory ballast switch.
Is there an easy way to remove the oval switch panel to facilitate working on the switches easier?
I crammed my 6'2" body as much as I could under the dash to see if I could figure out how the switch panel was attached. From what I can see there are 4 nuts and screws holding this panel to the dash but it seems as if they installed this panel while e whole dash is removed from the boat as I can only imagine a midget hands could fit in there to work on those nuts. If removing this panel is too hard, can the switches be easily removed?

Thanks in advance.

08LSV
09-19-2011, 06:02 AM
I just had to deal with this same issue when I changed mine out for another ballast switch. That panel is a pain to remove, but a giant pain to put back... There are four tabs on the switch. Two on top and two on bottom. I found that it was easiest to press one top and one bottom tab on the left side(if your laying under the dash and looking up.) It will pop out a little on that side the press the top and bottom on the right and push it out. The hard part is keeping the other side from popping back in before you get the other one out. I am 6' tall and about 205lbs and found that if I lay on my left side (with my gut next to the seat I am good, If I have my back to the drivers seat I can't get a good enough grip.) I can rotate enough to get a good grip on it. If your are going to upgrade to some type of GIIIish (Three bags.) ballast why not order the factory switch plate and put all three switches there?

I have not finished mounting mine since I still need to test the pumps before I button it all back up.

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12237&d=1316426438

Stazi
09-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Your idea of ordering the factory switch plate is prabably a better idea. Only catch is that I have a DD so for me the ballast is gonna be front, middle (ski locker) and rear.

How/who do I order this plate (and swtches) from?

Got a contact?

Thanks!

cab13367
09-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey 08lsv,

Have you considered mounting the switch panel above the armrest instead of down low where the factory puts it? I moved mine up there and love it. Hated the factory location.

08LSV
09-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Yeah I think you have to order it through a dealer. There should be a local dealer somewhere near you. I would just call or email them and see what they say. Since you have a DD I would ask if they have a GIII switch plate that says Front, Middle, Rear... You could also get one of those label machines and just cover up the engraved ones with your own names.

Hey 08lsv,

Have you considered mounting the switch panel above the armrest instead of down low where the factory puts it? I moved mine up there and love it. Hated the factory location.

I have considered it. The factory switches are in the worst location imaginable. Did you just make a cover plate for the hole? Could you post some pics of where you mounted it higher and how you covered the factory hole? Thanks.