PDA

View Full Version : Crash day

skiyaker
09-17-2011, 06:15 PM
ever have days like this? Met my ski partner this AM- light wind blowing straight down the course and water; air temp around 60 and water temp 63 so I tossed on the shorty. Had some good passes. For whatever reason I took more falls today than I have in the past 2 months. I took one OTF on my off side lean that separated me from the ski, a few tail blow outs around the buoy and the day ended with a fall across the wakes on my onside lean that knocked the wind out of me and left me dazed. Fortunately no injuries and I had fun- I think I felt the chill in the air and just started pushing it a little too much!

deafgoose
09-17-2011, 08:42 PM
ever have days like this? Met my ski partner this AM- light wind blowing straight down the course and water; air temp around 60 and water temp 63 so I tossed on the shorty. Had some good passes. For whatever reason I took more falls today than I have in the past 2 months. I took one OTF on my off side lean that separated me from the ski, a few tail blow outs around the buoy and the day ended with a fall across the wakes on my onside lean that knocked the wind out of me and left me dazed. Fortunately no injuries and I had fun- I think I felt the chill in the air and just started pushing it a little too much!

Riding in the cold is hard because you don't get the chance to warm up and get loose.

BensonWdby
09-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Everything moves a little more restricted in a wetsuit. And I hear that cold water skis differently than warm water. But to answer you question - yes I have had one of those days. Usually from leaning to far back and/or hooking my turns instead fo letting the ski finish.

Inliner
09-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Here is the result of my last crash day on the slalom ski:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6180/6158121909_3cd6f396b2.jpg

This happened behind a friend's boat while I was free skiing. It was a barefoot boat with no wake at all and I normally use the feel of the bump of the second wake to begin my pre-turn. I started the pre-turn WAY too late and had not bled off enough speed to make the outer turn. The smart move would have been to throw the handle, but who ever makes the intelligent decision???

Mikey
09-18-2011, 05:48 PM
I agree with pretty much all the comments put out there. Colder weather makes it hard to warm up/ loosen up. Wearing a wetsuit ,does restrict movement etc. A different boat ,does throw other issues into the mix .Sometimes its just NOT YOUR day. Enjoy and make the best of what ever you get. My boat is done for the season and i would just love to get a couple more skis in. So Enjoy yours just the same. S#$%T Happens.!!!

ChrisK
09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah cold water skis faster than warm, so you could try adding a little more depth to your fin. Nothing too extreme but just enough to make a difference. That should help get you back to the way you felt in the warmer water.

sled - 1
10-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Heck last week at 38 off I couldn't even get up, the blow back from the prop and my drysuit didn't get along together :(. I was reading the other day the the #1 injury to skiers is a broken ankle on you off side turn. That being said slow down this time of year, nothing left to prove. Yes we start skiing real short this time of year but we slow down our pull accross the wake and the speed of our turns so much it kind of works out the same.... not sure if that made any sense to anyone.

wolfeman131
10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
not sure if that made any sense to anyone.

yep, sled is back!

sled - 1
10-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Come on where's the love?