PDA

View Full Version : someones thoughts on boats

iwaterskihard
09-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I've said it before and will say it again I'm a DD fan and a waterskier. What I'd be leary of in this whole deal is as much as some people like these AXIS boats (and I'm not one who likes them) I'm going to watch over the next few years to see how they hold their value? Of course I will do this strictly out of curiousity but I really don't think the AXIS boats are going to stay in great shape. I don't think they are built as well as other boats. From the few I have seen on the lakes we frequent out here................I'm not too impressed.

I will keep my Outback DD any day!

deafgoose
09-16-2011, 04:27 PM
The quality of Axis boats is not higher than Moomba.

They are made in the same factory using the same materials as Malibu.

They are designed to be simple to keep costs low. That's perfect for me because I dont want to pay for fancy touch screens and crap.

zabooda
09-16-2011, 05:02 PM
If the Malibu is your comparison then get a Malibu. How anybody can compare one boat to another without statistical data is beyond me. The only stuff I find on the internet is void of the word "Axis."

http://powerboat.about.com/od/2009bestboats/tp/2009BestSkiWakeboardBoats.htm

http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2010/03/09/best-of-ski-boats-2010-crossovers/

Canuckle Head
09-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Axis has never claimed to be a crossover boat. If you went to their website you'll see that they claim the exact opposite. They are a hardcore wakeboard/wakesurf/wakeskate boat.

deafgoose
09-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Axis has never claimed to be a crossover boat. If you went to their website you'll see that they claim the exact opposite. They are a hardcore wakeboard/wakesurf/wakeskate boat.

I totally agree. Nobody said anything about the Axis being a good ski boat.

It's actually not even a good wakesurfing boat from 2009-2011 because of the swim platform shape. The 2012 model was redesigned so surfing is much better.

rdlangston13
09-16-2011, 07:56 PM
i really like the axis and i feel their quality is far superior to my LSV. if i had 50k for a new boat that is what it would be

wolfeman131
09-17-2011, 12:20 AM
i really like the axis and i feel their quality is far superior to my LSV. if i had 50k for a new boat that is what it would be

Are you comparing same model year boats?

I ask as my neighbor says his 2011 Malibu 247 is WAY nicer than the 2007 he traded in.

My guess is that every manufacturer strives to make improvements every year while also showing value versus competition.

wolfeman131
09-17-2011, 12:23 AM
The quality of Axis boats is higher

Really? What do you base that on?

rdlangston13
09-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Are you comparing same model year boats?

I ask as my neighbor says his 2011 Malibu 247 is WAY nicer than the 2007 he traded in.

My guess is that every manufacturer strives to make improvements every year while also showing value versus competition.

yes and no

my LSV is a 2008 and there is a noticeable difference in the axis, a friend of mine has a 2011 LSV and is pretty much the same as mine and there is a noticeable difference in the axis to me anyways.

Now i will say that the drivers seat on my LSV is WAY nicer than the drivers seat on an axis but the axis platform is alot more solid and as is the tower and it came pre wired for tower speakers and had an amp board already installed for aftermarket amps, also has a batcave for a glove box with i really like but i think from pics of the MOJO it too has a batcave of a glove box.

speaking of which, when are they going to release technical stats on the mojo??

skiyaker
09-17-2011, 08:52 AM
The quality of Axis boats is higher than Moomba.

They are made in the same factory using the same materials as Malibu.

They are designed to be simple to keep costs low. That's perfect for me because I dont want to pay for fancy touch screens and crap.

maybe I'm not a good judge of quality but based on the Axis I saw at the boat show I don't agree. The gel coat was especially bad- looked really wavy. And aren't Moombas made in the same factory as Supra?

KSmith
09-17-2011, 09:55 AM
maybe I'm not a good judge of quality but based on the Axis I saw at the boat show I don't agree. The gel coat was especially bad- looked really wavy. And aren't Moombas made in the same factory as Supra?

Yup, Supras are in the same factory and materials as the Moombas. I would also agree with skiyaker an quality perception. The Axis I crawled around in at the booth they had at wakeboard tour this spring gave me pause. The gelcoat looked wavy and also like orange peel in places, the windshield was loose and rocked when I grabbed it walking through the boat, the stitching on a couple areas was stretched so tight you could play the threads like a guitar, the snap in carpet (which I would ove to have) was poorly done, the snaps were in the wrong places and it wouldn't lay flat... stuff like that. All except teh gelcoat can be fixed pretty easily but not a good first impression...

maxpower220
09-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Maybe you should troll the Mailbu forums. I can attest that my Moomba has better construction than my Malibu did, both in the hull and in the interior. My Malibu boat was back to the shop having several piece of interior replaced as it was falling apart after 10 months of owership. The hull was 6" less, but the boat was several hundred pound lighter. Now, my Malibu did have the best slalom wake I have ever skied on, but this different than construction.

Yes, I realize that the two boats were of different years, but I have owned both brands.

rdlangston13
09-17-2011, 11:41 AM

my gelcoat looks wavy on my lsv