PDA

View Full Version : Foilboarding!

cab13367
09-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Anyone doing this? This was at my brother's place earlier this summer. This is my nephew's first time on a foilboard. He did pretty good, was a lot easier to learn on than the air chair. I did not get a chance to try it as it was set up goofy and I ride regular. As you can see in the second pic, the boot/binding set up is similar to a snowboard - you put the boot on separately then buckle it on to the binding which is attached to the board. It's imperative that you don't come out of the boots when foilboarding - don't want that foil smacking you!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20pics%20-%20public/DSC_2393.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20pics%20-%20public/DSC_2398.jpg

KG's Supra24
09-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Any cheaper than an air chair? Thats is what has always kept me away from buying an air chair.

Foilboarding looks like it could be a lot of fun. Are those bindnigs not the Hyperlite System bindings?

New Guy
09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah where would you even find one of those.

walb0244
09-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm not seeing these being much cheaper. I was able to find one on Ebay.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/320360760631?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Little bit out of my budget range.

zabooda
09-16-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm not a big advocate for using a helmet for boarding activities but this would be a good choice for this activity. Besides the foil there is the head plant from a higher height.

squeeg333
09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
I actually saw a show the other day on this. But it was with Laird Hamilton, and he's being towed into ocean waves on it, and riding for ages on said waves. It was awesome. I think I'd steer clear of it behind a boat though...

KSmith
09-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Wow! Those look wild! I'd like to watch someone ride those, but not me. I see knee surgury in my future if I tried one of those LOL. If I soehow found myself on one I'd have to be geared up with helmet and knee braces...

murraymoomba
09-17-2011, 10:35 AM
I would rather sit down to ride it anyway. Alot more comfortable...

cab13367
09-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Any cheaper than an air chair? Thats is what has always kept me away from buying an air chair.

Foilboarding looks like it could be a lot of fun. Are those bindnigs not the Hyperlite System bindings?

I don't know what the binding/boot system is, didn't pay that close attention.

I'm not seeing these being much cheaper. I was able to find one on Ebay.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/320360760631?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Little bit out of my budget range.

Yikes! And that is with no boots/bindings! The makers of the foil board don't even make boots/bindings fort it. The dealer told my brother to get a snowboard boot/binding system to make sure you don't come out of it when you crash.

My brother actually got his for "free" - when he ordered his brand new Mastercraft X25 with just about every option last summer . He also got a free air chair and wakeboard/binding set up of his choice. Just goes to show how much money the dealer made on him on the X25 :)

Foiling can be very dangerous. Helmets should be worn. Cuts , blood, and broken noses can all occur. This brave soul didn't even know he was bleeding with it looking like a Jaws IV movie when we came back to pick him up , let alone know his nose was even broken.

Wow doc, how did this happen? I assume it wasn't just from hitting the water. Was this from riding an air chair? Did he somehow get hit by the air chair or foil?

I actually saw a show the other day on this. But it was with Laird Hamilton, and he's being towed into ocean waves on it, and riding for ages on said waves. It was awesome. I think I'd steer clear of it behind a boat though...

Yeah, I saw that too and I think that was the genesis of the foil board for boats. Laird saw someone using an air chair and he decided to try the foil on his surfboard.

Wow! Those look wild! I'd like to watch someone ride those, but not me. I see knee surgury in my future if I tried one of those LOL. If I soehow found myself on one I'd have to be geared up with helmet and knee braces...

We were only going about 12 mph in these shots but I can definitely see some blown out knees and ankles from crashes when going faster or doing jumps.

I would rather sit down to ride it anyway. Alot more comfortable...

I didn't get to try this since we pulled it out late in the day but I've seen my brother on his first day on the air chair and the foilboard and he definitely got the hang of the foilboard much faster than the air chair because we know how to wakeboard and the skills transfer to foilboarding. The air chair is a completely new experience and hence, more difficult to figure out initially.

DOCDRS
09-18-2011, 12:52 AM
this was from a gainer attempt and I figure hitting his knee on his nose

jmvotto
09-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Wake helmets with face gaurds... Ouch i bet that hurt, did the sunglasses go on after the accident?

rc5695
09-19-2011, 11:44 AM
i saw that too. looked awesome! Looks neat behind a boat too. always wanted to try the airchair, just have never been presented the opportunity...

tarkus70
09-21-2011, 05:17 PM
I foilboard It is a snowboard binding system. It is a lot of fun I find the binding system is ok but when learning to flip you can and will break the bindings. I would say always wear a helmet when doing this and when on a Sky ski/ Air Chair. I have knocked myslf out and have had friends blow out an eardrum for this I got a helmet with ear protectors. It's a fun thing to do and you don't need calm water cause once you ride the foil it is very smooth. If you get a chance to try either do it you will be hooked.