PDA

View Full Version : How to clean hull.

muehlcj
09-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a product/method to clean the build up a docked boat gets on it's hull?

Sharpie647
09-15-2011, 03:25 PM
stuff called on & off hull cleaner. works great just make sure you have some good gloves its pretty nasty stuff.

zroutt
09-15-2011, 04:11 PM
I think what Sharpie said is basically Hydro-Chloric Acid. It's what I have always used on my boats in a diluted form in a spray bottle. Spray a small section and use a scrubby on the end of a wand with Safety glasses and gloves. Rinse off with water. Repeat over entire hull. Once complete make sure to put on a good wax. I use Turtle Wax ICE. Sure makes cleaning again a lot easier and no wax build up in any crack or anything.

jmvotto
09-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Toilet bowl cleaner.. cheap and effective.

wolfeman131
09-15-2011, 05:26 PM
I saw a white boat get cleaned back to a blinding white when the owner used the spray Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner. Made a believer out of me.

murraymoomba
09-15-2011, 07:45 PM
I vote for on and off!!! Its good stuff, you can just watch it disappear.

viking
09-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Slimy Grimy - never used the stuff myself but heard about it on these boards about a year ago when the same question came up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3snjD4Wz5dQ

kaneboats
09-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I always used sno bol on my old boat-- it was a very light tan color and would turn green every few weeks in the summer. About 30 min. work and it was clean.

Richard Peabody
09-17-2011, 06:33 PM
I've been using Slimy Grimy for the past four years. We are in the water for seven months on the Chesapeake Bay and
Susquehanna River which is very muddy so we get "Tea Stains" on the white hauls. Slimy Grimy is an amazing product.
I use it in a pump sprayer, let it sit for a few minutes and wash off to a very white haul again. No gloves, no acid burns, will not harm fish or flora. Check out their web site: www.slimygrimy.com

DOCDRS
09-18-2011, 04:09 PM
i've been using slimy grimy for the past four years. We are in the water for seven months on the chesapeake bay and
susquehanna river which is very muddy so we get "tea stains" on the white hauls. Slimy grimy is an amazing product.
I use it in a pump sprayer, let it sit for a few minutes and wash off to a very white haul again. No gloves, no acid burns, will not harm fish or flora. Check out their web site: www.slimygrimy.com (http://www.slimygrimy.com)

slimy grimy

NCSUmoomba
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Be wary of what product you use. I used the Starbrite Hull Cleaner one year, and it worked great, but it bleached my trailer where it dripped down onto it. Lately I have been using David FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) and I love it. It is a gel so it doesn't drip everywhere. Just wipe it on with a brush, sponge, or rag; let it sit for a few minutes, and then either hose it off or wipe it off with a wet cloth. It works great.

brenpire
09-29-2011, 10:02 AM
slimy grimy

AS per DOCDRS recommendation, I'm going to try Slimy Grimy this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

For my fellow Canadians: the canadian distrubitor is based in Peterborough -705-295-8697

rc5695
09-29-2011, 11:42 AM
I always used sno bol on my old boat-- it was a very light tan color and would turn green every few weeks in the summer. About 30 min. work and it was clean.
I've been using it since the '80s.

viking
09-29-2011, 11:27 PM
AS per DOCDRS recommendation, I'm going to try Slimy Grimy this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey - where's my props?? post #7 had it right there for ya. Beat Docdrs by 3 days :)