PDA

View Full Version : Flex Boards?

Inliner
09-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Ok, this came up in a previous thread and my interest is now piqued as to what it means. O'Brien is getting ready to release a new "flex" board and it is a first with molded fins. Someone tell me, do these boards REALLY flex or what is the actual meaning behind the name? In the promo still O'Brien shows it up on a log but it doesn't appear to be flexing. But they are quite proud of their first flex board with molded fins. Can someone educate me on this?

KG's Supra24
09-15-2011, 10:08 AM
They do flex. From my understanding, they are completely or partially built of wood. The ones I've been on, you can stand on a tip and bend the board back towards/away from you.

The advantage of Flex boards, aside from being more durable at the cable park, is softer landings, especially out in the flats.

I had a Slingshot (the Hooke) that I liked for the couple hours I rode it. I wouldn't recommend a Slingshot with the track system. I am not sure if they have this in 2012 but the 2011's did and mine broke in one day. I replaced it with the Liquid Force Watson Hybrid. The slingshot was an all wood board, the hybrids are a mix of wood and composite (normal board) construction.

I don't know anything about the O'brien flex but it seems everyone is starting to offer at least a hybrid.

Liquid Force Watson Hybrid
Hyperlite Roam
Ronix Pheonix Project
Anything from Slingshot

^ are a few that are out there.

bergermaister
09-15-2011, 01:05 PM
My slingshot has a clear portion on the design on part of it where you can see the wood core. It seems like the most flex is on either end and the center is firmer. If I recall I read that the newer slingshots were going this way and appeared more stiff than older varieties.

I've seen other riders lean back on the tail and ride a wheelie on flex boards. Don't think you could pull that off on a stiff board! (I never could)

Side note - the Slingshot PB bindings are very nice. I swapped those over to my LF board (too small for me) for other riders and they REALLY like them, especially for getting out of it.

rdlangston13
09-16-2011, 07:49 PM
I've seen other riders lean back on the tail and ride a wheelie on flex boards. Don't think you could pull that off on a stiff board! (I never could)

i attempted this on my regular board with no luck. now i know why!

brain_rinse
09-16-2011, 08:31 PM
They really flex. Mostly in the tip and tail and stiffer through the middle. Awesome at the cable park and behind the boat too. Wood core with ABS sides usually. Slippery like crazy when flat because of the featureless bottom, and the only way to lock it in is to set a hard edge. It forces you to learn proper technique.

you da man
09-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Did my first ride today with The System with Kobalt boots on my SS Reflex. The System is the real deal. Much more edge to edge control and faster edge to edge change. Literally felt like you had nothing between the bottom of your feet and the board...so much feel.