PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got my Seadec

Mikey
09-14-2011, 09:08 PM
I started looking into changing my Swim platform over to a Seadec ,way back in May. I enquired ,then started to proceed to try to figure which one i wanted etc.

As the sizes didn't seem to quite match i was advised by i believe Maxpower,to look into going custom and having a template sent,then returned and then to proceed to getting my custom ROO pad. As mentioned this all started about the 3rd week of May. My thought had been to Maybe have the pad on and ready for use,for Summer holidays ,2nd week ofJuly. I thought that would be realistic.

Unfortunetely,with trying to get a hold of Seadec ,Time zone differences etc ,made phoning tough trying to call after work and time difference,from here to there,plus a Canadian Postal strike i only recieved my template the day we were leaving for holidays. The day we returned i got out and templated and promptly returned the template. Then Postal did there thing AGAIN.

Finally i was contacted by Seadec to Proof what we had on the go , From that time till Yesterday i've been PATIENTLY waiting for my deck pad to arrive. Low and behold its Finally here.

I must say i could hardly wait and was more than thrilled opening the box and getting a look. It looks GREAT .and measurements are right on so now MY delemma....

DO I put it on?As i mentioned a couple weeks ago my Boat /trailer is outta action ,due to a nasty tire blowout. As i'm probably gonna order parts from Boatmate to fix this My season is Done and i will likely be winterizing this weekend, I Was hoping for a couple more weekends.

As someone else from Up here in Canada has mentioned its cooled down dramatically,although we are not at freezing YET!! The thing i'm wondering is wether i should put the pad on now, Will it adhere propery in the cool weather or i guess i likely will wait till next spring. As some one mentioned in another thread as well Guess i got an Early XMAS present. HAHA.

The other thing i've not mentioned is My boat is stored year round outside,soon to be winterized,cleaned and double tarped. Seems like a shame to even get it dirty. BOO HOO.

jpetty3023
09-14-2011, 09:26 PM
I say throw it on now that away when spring arrives untarp, summerize, and float her

psycho-heico
09-14-2011, 10:39 PM
A few more weekends...Crazy thoughts....water at Gleniffer was 57 last week and only dropping..I too will be doing a start to winterizing, at least plugs, heater and ballast system, just in case we get a miracle warm week again, as for the deck...spring is nice weather and as we have to wait another month for the ice to come off most lakes..I would do it then.....Just my 2 cents

Ed G
09-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Just as a FYI...

Because my boat is constantly stored outdoors in the brutal Florida sun, Skiers Choice recruited my boat as the test boat for the Seadek pad (to see if they would become Skiers Choice's Vendor).

I tested a thin gray color pad for a 6 month period.

The thing looked as good after the test period as it did when I put it on.

If it gets dirty, spray it down. It will look just fine.

Thing I would consider most important - the weather you want to be in when you do a R & R of the swim pads.

If it were me, I'd prefer to be removing adhesive when it wasn't really cold.

pmoomba
09-15-2011, 05:50 AM
The thing i'm wondering is wether i should put the pad on now, Will it adhere propery in the cool weather or i guess i likely will wait till next spring.

It should be fine but you can always take the platform off and put it on while inside. Might be easier anyway if it's cold outside.

kaneboats
09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
I'd say save the project for early spring when you are dying to mess with the boat. Keep the seadek pad under the bed till then.

KSmith
09-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Yup, always have to stock up on boat project materials during the winter to have things to play with come spring, or near spring. I'd also just wait becuase I'd want to have 3-6 months less wear/exposure on it that putting it on now and then putting the boat away soon... on the other hand I fully appreciate the desire to install the new "toy" :-)

wolfeman131
09-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I'd say save the project for early spring when you are dying to mess with the boat. Keep the seadek pad under the bed till then.

Yes, if you decide to wait, I'd suggest you remove it from the box and inspect it. Check the back to make sure the "sticky stuff" is fully covered (mine was not) so it doesn't dry out. Put it back in the box and store it flat.

Stazi
09-15-2011, 08:01 PM
What ever you do, do not store the seadek rolled up as it will peel away from the paper backing and then the glue won't adhere properly when you go to install it.

Mikey
09-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm glad you mentioned that,Stazi as thats the way it came and is right now.I think i will leave it off till spring or maybe during fall i can take platform off and bring inside and or store the platform in the basement till i have time to strip it,clean it and install the pad,properly. I'm sure my wife would Love to see it up on the fireplace mantle in the Basement Family room????

wolfeman131
09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh no, it will look so nice that she will want it mounted above the fireplace upstairs where ALL can view your awesome purchase.

KSmith
09-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Hmm Drew, that reminds me, I should probably take down the surfboard I have on the mantel and put the painting back before the wife tells me to, might show her I really do care about the house decor... or maybe not LOL

wolfeman131
09-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Might show her you're up for a surf this weekend!

Mikey
10-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Well the Seadec is on the boat. Pics to follow.

While out completing my winterizing,clean/wax out in the warm afternoon sunshine i thought i would at least prep my platform for the pad. Also after looking at the pad laying flat the sticky backing was starting to bubble so i thought it may really dry out if i wait till spring,so i went ahead and completed the job. Now i have to decide weather i leave it outside ,under the tarped boat or do i bring it in and see if it lasts as a mantle piece. Bets are thats not gonna happen. My pad may become a test pad for outdoor winter wear and tear,before it sees water,i can give the results to Seadec in spring.