PDA

View Full Version : brrrrrr!!!!

saskyrider
09-14-2011, 01:24 PM
WELL..... we had our first frost of the year last night... and it was a doozy! around home here it got down to -6 at the coldest and was below zero from 1 am until 7 am this morning!!! I hastily stuffed the boat into my inlaws garage last night as i'm hoping to get out at least a couple more times yet this fall!!!

I also went and pulled the plugs on my neighbors boat for him as he was away... finally got ahold of him at 10 pm and he walked me through which plugs to pull on the phone. He had forgoten all about it!! that would have been expensive!!!!

saskie99
09-14-2011, 01:31 PM
My boat is still at the lake on the boat lift so hopefully we dont have any problems, my mechanic has told me repeatedly that I dont have to worry about freezing the block. He has told me to put a pail of water on the floor of the boat under the tarp, if it dosent freeze hard (which) there is no way it would in below zero for 5+ hours and to quit worrying about it. hahaah it freaks me out when ever it gets below zero, even early in the year and I have water in my engine!

KG's Supra24
09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Are yall talking fahrenheit?!?!? Hell, it freaks me out when it gets below 40!!!

saskyrider
09-14-2011, 02:40 PM
My boat is still at the lake on the boat lift so hopefully we dont have any problems, my mechanic has told me repeatedly that I dont have to worry about freezing the block. He has told me to put a pail of water on the floor of the boat under the tarp, if it dosent freeze hard (which) there is no way it would in below zero for 5+ hours and to quit worrying about it. hahaah it freaks me out when ever it gets below zero, even early in the year and I have water in my engine!

I was thinking that i'd be alright but because the garage is a block away it was an easy solution. i just can't take the chance.

Who do you take your boat to for mechanic work???

saskie99
09-14-2011, 05:01 PM
My Mechanic is a friend of mine, and a journeyman but works on cars. He just does my boat as a favor for me. I talked to him at lunch and he told me quit worrying it was not cold enough long enough to hurt it.!

saskie99
09-14-2011, 05:02 PM
There must be 10 fairly new wakeboard and waterski boats all on boat lifts at the lake right now, as well as another 30-40 other boats.

rdlangston13
09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
WELL..... we had our first frost of the year last night... and it was a doozy! around home here it got down to -6 at the coldest and was below zero from 1 am until 7 am this morning!!! I hastily stuffed the boat into my inlaws garage last night as i'm hoping to get out at least a couple more times yet this fall!!!

we had a front too! I could sit outside on the patio and not break a sweat for about 15 mins!!!

moombadaze
09-14-2011, 08:43 PM
we had a front too! I could sit outside on the patio and not break a sweat for about 15 mins!!!

That front must also be in Florida. We were able to drive around this evening with the windows down and not sweat.

One thing I have noticed is certain trees are turning colors now.

Im headed up to go surfing with Kaneboats and Wolfeman131 in S Geargia this weekend-wondering if I need to bring a wetsuite with me.

rc5695
09-14-2011, 09:21 PM
That front must also be in Florida. We were able to drive around this evening with the windows down and not sweat.

One thing I have noticed is certain trees are turning colors now.

Im headed up to go surfing with Kaneboats and Wolfeman131 in S Geargia this weekend-wondering if I need to bring a wetsuite with me.
You'll want one if you're going out early in the morning probably...I'm a little further N, but we've been getting mid-50's at night. I've had to wear my long underwear and turn on my heated grips (low) on the morning ride (motorcycle) to work... But it has been in the low 90's on the ride home, thus the reason for summer gloves and grips on low ;)

We've got 1 particular type of tree changing colors and dropping leaves, I think because the cold hit so quick and it has been so dry, but most everything is still green for the most part...I'm hoping it stays hot for a while yet; I'm just not ready for summer to be over :(

Rule of thumb for freezing blocks from what I was told was must be below freezing for over 24 hours before you need to even conern yourself (Moomba dealer in WI). I'll play it safe and winterize before thanksgiving here in SC ;)

jpetty3023
09-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Well it only reached 102 today in central TX. Guess that's a cold front us!

rdlangston13
09-15-2011, 08:14 AM
our trees started changing color in june. its sad when it looks like fall in july and it is still 100+ outside. damn drought

kaneboats
09-15-2011, 09:21 AM
The water was a bit chillier last weekend. I think it was still about 75 though. May be as low as 72 this weekend. Nights have definitely cooled off a bit. But weather is looking like 87 and sunny for the 4th annual Flint River minijam.

New Guy
09-15-2011, 09:43 AM
It got down to 34F here I am still holding out hope that this front is going to pass and we will get back in the 70's

saskyrider
09-15-2011, 10:49 AM
The water was a bit chillier last weekend. I think it was still about 75 though. May be as low as 72 this weekend. Nights have definitely cooled off a bit. But weather is looking like 87 and sunny for the 4th annual Flint River minijam.

The water temp in our lake never topped 75 this year!! right now it's about 61-62ish.... i'm still trunking it. wetsuit is reserved for below 60. Drysuit under 50.

rdlangston13
09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
The water temp in our lake never topped 75 this year!! right now it's about 61-62ish.... i'm still trunking it. wetsuit is reserved for below 60. Drysuit under 50.

im guessing our lake water temp is still in the mid to high 80s. it got to 94 at one point this summer and that was the warmest i saw it

Ed G
09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
It cooled down to 92 degrees here yesterday.

After a run I was standing in a slight breeze thinking "man, this cooler weather feels good"!

water temps still in high 80's.

Leaves on the Sycamore trees are starting to turn color.

KSmith
09-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I was in Florida once, said to myself, "Self, so... this is what is like on the surface of the Sun..."

Ed G
09-15-2011, 12:50 PM
LOL! That's pretty much the way it is from May to late October.

Must admit, as much as I miss living in Pittsburgh, during the months of November thru late April, Florida is the place to be.

Unless if you live in Hawaii or Guam where it's about 78 degrees all year long. That would be do-able!

KSmith
09-15-2011, 01:52 PM
That is true, myself being from the Pacific North West where the winters can get brutal as well... 10 foot snow drifts are a thing of the past having been in GA for 15 years. I do miss the mountains and the wife and I have been debating where we want to retire to, the PNW always comes up but right after the "do you really want to deal with the winters??" comes out of the wifes mouth. Or perhaps by then global warmign will have made northen winters managable and Florida will have melted into the sea

Ed G
09-16-2011, 05:27 AM
"Florida will have melted into the sea"

that certainly would ease the strains on Social Security.

rc5695
09-16-2011, 11:35 AM
"Florida will have melted into the sea"

that certainly would ease the strains on Social Security.
LOL!!! Funny EdG

Ed G
09-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Yesterdays water temp: 87 degrees F