PDA

View Full Version : Ticking 325hp Indmar

jburnside
05-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Question for anyone breaking in their new boats, we just picked up our new Mobius LSV last Friday and during the lake test at the dealer I noticed that the motor was ticking or tapping rather loudly. I would say that it sounds like it's coming from the valve train. Our sales person said that it sounded normal to him. I can assure you that 2 years ago when we broke in our, then new, Outback LS it did not sound like this one. So my question is... is this normal? Is this just the motor "running in"? The oil pressure and temperature are good and I checked the oil level. All seems normal... but noisy. Is this an MPI thing, a V-Drive thing. any help is appreciated.

Also, I did put 2 hours on the boat on Sunday and it sounds exactly like it did at the dealer on Friday.

Will Watters
05-03-2005, 02:52 PM
I heard the same "ticking" on my 05 LSV during break in. I checked fluid levels and all looked good and just kept close listen during break in. About 5 to 8 hours or so, it did seem to decrease in the level and now at 16 hours did not hear anything. I take my boat in tonight for its 20 hour check. This will be one thing I will ask about. Will let you know of any dealer comments on this. Also, my overheating smell that has been recently discussed on this board, has almost gone. I would guess both these issues are related to break in, however, ALWAYS good to be cautious and alert to what is going on in the boat especially during the first 10 to 20 hours.

Will.

Wake Master
05-03-2005, 11:05 PM
The fuel injectors will make a ticking noise.

lowdrag
05-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Yep, if you went from a carbed boat to injected this could very well be the issue. The injectors will tick when cycling and it will will sould similar but not usually as loud as the valvetrain.

jburnside
05-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the update guys. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything to worry about. We should be able to put some more hours on her this weekend since the temperature has finally decided to climb above 50 degrees. I can't believe how cold it has been here in MI this past week. Thanks again.