PDA

View Full Version : Boat Rules - what are yours

bergermaister
09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
So Labor Day weekend we had a full load of people - family and friends - and with no beaches available it was 10 of us in the boat for most of the day. However within just a short while I was about ready to tie all of them to my anchor line, minus my younger kids and my girl, and toss them overboard I was getting so pissed.

I'm pretty easy going for the most part when it comes to stuff in the boat, kick off your shoes, stow away your gear, have a good time. If you spill, just clean it up. My interior is not pristine so I don't go off about it. If you've got something to say to a rider make it a positive reinforcement, not tearing them down. Basic stuff right?

We're there maybe 30 minutes, get my daughter out in the water trying to get her up on the wakeboard and she's a newbie so there's a lot of coaching, starting, stopping, etc. Before I can blink these f---ing morons basically have a buffet going with food and drinks and sh-t everywhere and they're in MY WAY going back and forth from the wheel to the swim platform. :mad: I started politely asking them to move, which quickly degraded to watch out and then get the hell out of the way. Common courtesy was out the window and these f-cking bozos just didn't get it. Sadly they're family (ok, in-laws) and yes they have been on the boat before.

After numerous reminders and requests I finally had enough and blew my top. Shut everything down, spun around and unleashed on them a wrath of profanities and orders that would rival Chevy Chase from Christmas Vacation.

Blank stares - like what, what did we do? You're the one who was tripping over our stuff...

So then I get to heatedly explain how difficult/frustrating it is for the rider, driver, the safety factor, the mess factor, the cost to me to clean all this up at the end of the day, etc. Oh yea, and these folks did not contribute food, drink nor gas to the equation...

So since that wonderful episode I've been contemplating being WAY more strict and WAY more upfront about my expectations when someone steps aboard. No shoes is a no-brainer. Not leaving your gear strewn all over. Drinks are cool while underway, food is not anymore. I'll have to work on not coming off like a Tyrant when I do this because thinking back on it really gets me going again.

What else ya got I should keep in mind?

deafgoose
09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Sounds reasonable to me.

No shoes, no food that can stain, no smoking and no alcohol in my boat.

95% of the time, I have wakeboarding friends in my boat so its never a problem.

Stop inviting the people that have no common sense.

kaneboats
09-09-2011, 01:17 PM
There's definitely a line between being Captain Bligh and getting crapped all over. Everybody wants it to be a day long party and it is, but there is also being considerate of what's going on. I get impatient with my own kids when I have a newby in the water and they are walking around with food and drinks, getting in the way, etc.

When I was in high school and a few summers in college I worked for my uncle who was a former Marine Corps sgt. He would command me and several other cousins all day in a construction business. Then we'd go out on his boat and, if anything, he was even worse on the water. Many of us in my generation have tried extremely hard to make boating time fun and relaxing as we didn't really get to enjoy it all that much in our younger days. Nobody wants to be on the water with an old tyrant.

On the other hand, when folks are being inconsiderate it is appropriate to call them on it. We have to do our best to keep an even tone and ask them to think about what they are doing and tell them how to be more considerate.

madriding1
09-09-2011, 01:31 PM
My boat doesnt run on Thanks.. Runs on Gas
NO Shoes
NO Cheetos (or other orange colored chips/sodas)
Bikinis only :)
Im the Captain
Have Fun.. Be safe

bergermaister
09-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Right Kane, it's not just what I'm saying but how I'm saying it! Given that they are in-laws I can only stand them in smaller doses anyway, but I was stuck with them being "invited" on this weekend and quite blown away at how bad this particular situation was. Looking back now it was a similar situation back at camp - they were more than happy to belly up to the table and eat the food which we had brought and prepared, and more than happy to disappear when it was time to clean up and burn up all the firewood we brought/bought. Once again - really caught me by surprise.

Shockingly I wasn't real hot on the idea when it came up to "do this more often"...

bkearney
09-09-2011, 01:41 PM
- One Activity at a time. We all tube, then we all ski, then we all Board, then we all surf.
- In the seats unless surfing.

That is about it

My friends rules to his daughters:

"Boys are bad, keep both hands on the rails"

-- bk

Ed G
09-09-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't have too many rules. It is just a boat and gets treated as such.

Don't care if you wear shoes, eat in it or get it soaked...I do it, you can too.

My peaves:

While floating around, if you attempt to throw an empty beer can into the boat and you miss, you gotta swim after it and try again untill you get it in.

If you HAVE to bring a cooler on my boat, make sure it's small enough to fit under the dash
and in front of drivers feet

Don't be bringing a lot of boards unless they all fit into my tower racks.

I hate stuff being all over the place creating an obstacle course inside the boat.

New Guy
09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Ed I am pretty much the same way. I have come to realize that I want to have fun on the boat and worrying all of the time takes away from my enjoyment. All of the people that go out with me know common sense when it comes to being on the water though if they don't they learn quickly.

walb0244
09-09-2011, 02:05 PM
My boat doesnt run on Thanks.. Runs on Gas
NO Shoes
NO Cheetos (or other orange colored chips/sodas)
Bikinis only :)
Im the Captain
Have Fun.. Be safe

I love the first rule. Hahahaha. Need to get me a decal made with this that goes on the windshield.

you da man
09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
No red/orange chips, no tabacco products, no glass, no kids, no shoes, bring your own towels, DON'T touch the stereo, and no attitude. On one occasion I let a buddy bring a female friend that claimed she was a good at wakeboarding. She didn't bring a board and after a couple falls while not trying ant tricks, she said MY wakeboards sucked and she can't ride them. Her and her attitude lasted about an hour on the boat before she saw the ramp.

deafgoose
09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Oh yes. NO KIDS!

Forgot about that one. lol

chawk610
09-09-2011, 02:26 PM
We had 9 people on board... seemed like a good idea... LOL. For my taste 8 max.

no shoes
no smoking
please tip the driver
don't stand on vinyl of ANY sort
sit on a towel
when we dock.. ALL hands on deck...
have fun
Don't "F" with my pandora stations!

MOOMBA_97
09-09-2011, 03:17 PM
No rules. It's boat and we are going to enjoy it. Only thing that we try to watch is hitting the hull with skis and boards. Too many rules and you and your guests are afraid to come aboard. I've never had a carpet stain yet that didn't come clean.

madriding1
09-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I love the first rule. Hahahaha. Need to get me a decal made with this that goes on the windshield.

I wear a cool Moomba shirt that has that saying on the back.. :)

jmvotto
09-09-2011, 03:44 PM

http://www.cafepress.com.au/+this-boat-runs-on-gas-not-thank-yous+bumper-stickers

I love this quote" Friends are always welcome, Family call ahead first"

sandm
09-09-2011, 03:56 PM
I think most of the bases have been covered here...
-no cheetos or orange/red food
-no glass period(that's a law at the lake as well, not just mine)
-no shoes
-no kids, but have been a few exceptions with permission. I limit who/when I invite so I don't have to seem like an a$$ for this one
-no pets. period.
-bring your own food
-bring your own music, and if you don't, then no bitching about my taste.

I try to make it an enjoyable day on the lake for anyone that I take out, but bottom line, I, meaning ME, not you, paid a crapload of money for MY boat and pay another crapload every year in expenses and I don't want it to look like a floating trashbag after a few years. several peeps that I have taken out that have boats around the same year comment on how clean mine is. none of them have ever gone home pissed from a bad time at the lake, so I'd say the rules work..

heck, I'm a virgo, so I have a right to be ocd :)

ian ashton
09-09-2011, 03:59 PM
We almost never have actual food on the boat, only if we are going to the sand bar or something. I keep a bunch of the snack sized bags of chips in the back, help yourself.

The only rules I have;
No Shoes on the boat, leave 'em at the dock.
Don't throw crap in the water.
No Smoking.
Don't be an a-hole.

If we are riding;
Every watch the rope, when someone is done, pull it in.
If someone is getting back in the boat, whoever is closest can grab the wakeboard and rack it.

When we get back to land;
Take your trash with you.
Don't do something just to do it; if I need help I'll ask, otherwise just hang out or whatever.

We are fortunate in that there are about 5 or 6 people that are 'regulars' on my boat, and they all know the drill. When we are riding everyone knows that if I want someone to move to clean up the wake, or do something, its only to make the experience better, not because I'm a control freak.

skiyaker
09-09-2011, 06:09 PM
nothing too much new to add- but for people who don't understand the no shoe thing I'll say "hey bud you might want to take your shoes off before I cut your feet off haha"

I try to chill out as much as possible and let the kids have fun- but if we're out for the day my wife knows the day goes much better if I get a ski ride in while the water is still calm

viking
09-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Ditto.........good call skiyaker. It's much easier to deal with things when we've gotten "our" pull in :)

bergermaister
09-09-2011, 06:24 PM
"hey bud you might want to take your shoes off before I cut your feet off haha"

Haha! I actually keep a machete stowed away behind the cooler for blazing trails and the possibility of any close encounters of the unwanted kind. Suppose that would work!

jester
09-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Berg, you are not wrong of getting after them. I have been in the same spot and it sucks. No matter what path you take you will feel bad about it. Just make a stand on your boat rules and make it clear before anyone gets onboard. tell them if they do not like them they are more then welcome to stay on the dock.

Like everyoneone else my boat rules are simple.

No cheetos or other like foods.
No Shoes on the boat. put away your shoes and great as soon as you get onboard. No equipment on the floor unless it is a vest drying.
Don't throw crap in the water.
No Smoking.
Ask before jumping into the water.
If you do not know what you are doing just sit down, shutup and watch. (the first ride you can sit there the second you are part of the crew so you better know what is going on)

Mikey
09-09-2011, 07:28 PM
I try to keep rules to a minimum, but shoes off in boat,no staining food or drinks and no glass. What happened to you really was a shame,as more importantly ,your riders safety was at risk due to the inconsideration of your rude inlaws etc. By having this happen your Full attention was not on the rider etc. Thats my real concern.

We load and float for the day quite often as the lake i frequent has no beaches and ammenities are basically nonexistent. For this reason i try to limit people in the boat to manageable numbers,max 5 unless we go to places that we can offload people. I have a DD so my numbers are lower due to room constraints,also when skiing The rope becomes a real issue,so too many people does not work.

As mentioned above ,boats cost a lot of money and unfortunetly ,lots of people do not realize the full extent of this,and or are not gracious or conceincious of others property and this just ende up being a BAD Situation. Hopefully to never happen again.

moombadaze
09-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Berg, dont think you were out of line-boating can be stressfull

Friends-welcome to come on anytime
Family-I request a months notice of the possiblility of going out with us
Inlaws--well not sure about that-May need two months notice of planned visit.

Still-have some rules-its my boat, my pride, my gas(have the shirt)

Once took mom n law, sis n law and my wife out on the Seadoos about 13 yrs ago. we went out to a island for what i thought would be a nice long day-turns out mom cant pee in the ocean, so 2 hrs later the seadoos are back on the trailer and were headed home. They have never been back out with us.

Hoopskier
09-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Could summerize most of what people said to;

Have fun
Be overal respectful - to the boat, equipment, other people, environment, laws
Dont be dumb.

Its common sense to some people and some people cant buy enough of it.

I can't say I have a hard rule list, but if something is going to be an issue/problem, I'll say something. Most understand.

08LSV
09-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Number one rule I have is that when new people come out with us as soon as they get out of their car at the marina, I say "put half the stuff your carrying back in your car and then we will head to the boat". Once on the boat we store everything, our stuff and theirs except towels and only allow it out when in the cove chillin.

Next rule is, the rider chooses the music, no matter what it is. (Sometimes I hate that I made this rule, but it at least keeps Celine Dion from playing when I am trying to surf and a bunch of girls are left alone on the boat.)

My most important rule/guideline to a fun/safe day is that the person being towed is the most important person at the time and deserves all of our focus. Period.

I don't get freaked out by spills, but HELL NO!!! to shoes and Cheetos....

Moseley618
09-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Gas...Grass...or A$$ NO ONE RIDES FOR FREE!

Ian Brantford
09-09-2011, 10:42 PM
I have much the same rules as most here regarding shoes, loose gear, food, smoking, etc.

Food is informally limited to when we stop for a break. If someone brings something crumbly, they can sit on the sun deck, where anything dropped will go into the water.

I don't exclude kids, but I do need advance notice of their attending. Sometimes they cannot take the full-day experience and we need to allow for an early drop-off at the dock. I usually grab a couple of extra sweaters on all but the hottest days if small fry come, because they might not be acclimated to being wet when there is a wind.

I do have one rule that no one has mentioned: no dangerous horseplay. The main one is pushing someone into the water. We are in water where, if someone took a lungful or panicked, then sank more than a couple of feet, they will be out of sight and impossible to rescue. Plus, an unexpected fall can slam an eardrum, even from a standing height. I want fun, but it needs to be an environment where people have your back, not one where you have to be afraid of turning your back to others.

We also do not goad people into behind-the-boat activities that they aren't particularly interested in doing. I have had to stop the occasional visiting parent from giving their own child an anxiety attack. If they aren't boaters themselves, they just don't understand how much of an intimidating, sensory-overloading experience it can be.

Unlike the OP, it is very rare to have to accommodate a large group of newbies for me. Typically, I'll only be introducing one or two new people at a time amongt 3-5 experienced crew. Thus, I don't have to explain a lot ahead of time, because they wait for others to take the lead on what to do.

When meeting people socially and thinking about whether I might like them to join the fun on the water, I look at their interpersonal behaviour and try to guess whether they are level-headed and good-natured enough to cope with being in a confined space with others for several hours.

cab13367
09-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Berg, that sucks, especially since they are family. When I take out a bunch of people, especially a mix of kids and adults who all like to do different things, I let them know what the plan is as soon as we are on the water. So for example, last Saturday, I told everyone, "we are going to wakeboard and surf first, then we will anchor in the cove, eat lunch and swim. Then later, we will blow up the tube and go tubing. Sound good?". So that way, every ones what the game plan is an no one pulls out their lunch when we are wakeboarding and the kids aren't constantly asking when we are going tubing. Also, if it's hot out, I will let everyone jump in and swim for 5 minutes when we change riders. I've not had any issues doing it this way. But then again, the people I take out are good friends and appreciate being invited and are respectful of us and the boat. They know it's our boat and we call the shots and they are just fine with that. At the same time, I like to think that we are good hosts and try to make sure that everyone has a good time so they trust us to call the shots.

brain_rinse
09-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Same here, Al. Well said.

Berg, that sucks, especially since they are family. When I take out a bunch of people, especially a mix of kids and adults who all like to do different things, I let them know what the plan is as soon as we are on the water. So for example, last Saturday, I told everyone, "we are going to wakeboard and surf first, then we will anchor in the cove, eat lunch and swim. Then later, we will blow up the tube and go tubing. Sound good?". So that way, every ones what the game plan is an no one pulls out their lunch when we are wakeboarding and the kids aren't constantly asking when we are going tubing. Also, if it's hot out, I will let everyone jump in and swim for 5 minutes when we change riders. I've not had any issues doing it this way. But then again, the people I take out are good friends and appreciate being invited and are respectful of us and the boat. They know it's our boat and we call the shots and they are just fine with that. At the same time, I like to think that we are good hosts and try to make sure that everyone has a good time so they trust us to call the shots.

Ed G
09-10-2011, 06:21 AM
I've ridden in a boat where the owner was really anal about it.

Had to sit on towels, no eating anything, no drinking anything, just sit there and don't move around, heaven forbid if you drip water on the upholstery when getting out of the water, blah, blah blah.

made for a very uncomfortable experience. Was kinda like being in 3rd grade and having a grumpy nun for a teacher.

I'll never be like that with mine. If I invite you on the boat, then I do so knowing you are human and can't read my mind.

You got cheeto's...cool, I'd like some too

Once had one of my dogs stand up on the sundeck and pee. I wish he was around to do it again.

If I were to be in a boat and someone started telling me what we were gonna do, I'd tell them to head back to the dock and let me out.

The most fun days are the ones where you just relax and let it be.

Oh, and you can pressure wash red beet juice out of the carpet

ian ashton
09-10-2011, 09:11 AM
The Cheetos thing is weird; we have them all the time, and they definitely don't stain anything, am I missing something?

Ed G
09-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't know...I love cheeto's and beer, but people on here claim they stain the carpets and upholstery.

maybe they hold onto them untill they get wet instead of sticking them into their mouths.

Lawdog
09-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Pardon me I didn't read through all the pages so if this rule has already been listed sorry........

NO IN-LAWS!!!!!

Ian Brantford
09-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Cheetos or chips have a habit of turning entirely into powder or crumbs in the blink of an eye when the person holding them gets surprised or bumped. It is especially a problem when the boat is in motion and hits a wave. After a couple of events of having to vacuum/hose that stuff up and STILL have ants find the remnants while my boat is parked on the trailer, I instituted the "sun deck only" rule for those types of food. I expect that the leftover scent of food could also be an issue for attracting animals while the boat is in winter storage.

I am not at all concerned about people coming in from the water and dripping all over the place. I don't even bring a towel half the time. It's a boat. It's okay to get it wet. I just don't want it turned into bait for varmints.

millerda68
09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I think everything has been pretty well stated.

No Shoes.
First time out is on me, next time you can chip in with gas money.
If you want "fast food" eat it on your way to the lake. I don't want that crap in my boat.
I avoid red juice, red wine because it always seems to get spilled and takes forever to get cleaned up.
I'm at the age now that I don't do small kids on the boat (mostly due to the mess factor and lack of supervision by their parents)
If you have kids 6-12, bring your own life jackets. Ours tend to be larger in size for older people.

As for activities, we try to do all the surfing, wake boarding or tubing at the same time. The exception is the driver (me) gets to trump all if he water lays flat so he can ski. At that point, ballasts dump, and boat gets set up for skiing.

Boards up in racks, bags and gear stowed and out of the way.

Friends I cut a little slack because most don't own boats and are on a learning curve. Family knows how anal I am and most have been around boats for years. They know better!

deerfield
09-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Boards up in racks, bags and gear stowed and out of the way.

miller - I'm with you. In addition, no alcohol as that, even in moderation, has a way of changing the social dynamic. People are okay with it and can look forward to adult refreshments when the boat is put away. I love taking people on the boat, so don't accept or ask for money. Kids are welcome. The more the better. Barefoot boom is a favorite for them. I've gotten more comfortable with food on the boat. Just nothing red or orange that will stain. - Deerfield

bzubke1
09-10-2011, 01:40 PM
No rules in particular but I don't bring people on the boat that would disrespect my things.

bzubke1
09-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Two pet peeves tho. If someone is wakeboarding don't get out of you're seat and wash out the wake. I also hate when people sit on their phone while someone is wakeboarding. If you're not having enough fun that you need to check your facebook or whatever stay home, you're just in the way. I hate when people don't pay attention and give encouragement to the person riding, if someone does something good for their skill level let them know.

rdlangston13
09-11-2011, 12:07 AM
No shoes
Gas money is appreciated
Do what I say
Don't touch the stereo unless I tell you to
If there is not room for your gear to be stored put of sight then don't bring it
Don't drink all my beer
When I sit you down, stay seated in that seat. I put you there for a reason

rdlangston13
09-11-2011, 12:08 AM
If you don't offer gas money, don't be upset if you are not asked back out

Ed G
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
interesting thing about this thread...now we all know who we do and don't want to go out with :)

saskyrider
09-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I have to admit I'm surprised about the no kid rule! If you mean babies then I get that for certain situations but as I've stated before we boat right off the end of the launch or within a mile or two so taking them back is no big deal.... But if your talking about kids under their teen years then I don't get it?? Why not?

bzubke1
09-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Probably because people who don't have kids find them annoying.

Ian Brantford
09-12-2011, 12:18 PM

I find the sound of children to be quite soothing when it's from across the lake and I can think to myself "ahhhh, that's someone else' burden". :-)

I have had other people's kids on my boat from time to time. They have never been truly annoying. I filter out the adults based on their personalities and that mostly keeps me safe from unruly kids.

jamie_abb
09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Create all the rules you like and then someone steps from the dock onto the backcushion of the bow area and creates a 20 inch seam split. That someone didn't acknowledge what happened, didn't apologize. (My kids told me he did it later)

The funny part is this guy has a Magnum that his wife is not allowed to drive to the mall for fear of parking lot damage.

My pride and joy is a boat, trampoline, change room, swim deck, snack bar, waiting room, couch, lounge, sun shade and playground. I think everyone is going to have a different view of the boat. I'm just going to have to get an all fibreglass boat soon. Bring your own cushion and hose it down at the end of the weekend.

LakePerson1952
09-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Right Kane, it's not just what I'm saying but how I'm saying it! Given that they are in-laws I can only stand them in smaller doses anyway, but I was stuck with them being "invited" on this weekend and quite blown away at how bad this particular situation was. Looking back now it was a similar situation back at camp - they were more than happy to belly up to the table and eat the food which we had brought and prepared, and more than happy to disappear when it was time to clean up and burn up all the firewood we brought/bought. Once again - really caught me by surprise.

Shockingly I wasn't real hot on the idea when it came up to "do this more often"...

Since this has happened before, my "rule" would be that they don't come back - have a serious conversation with the first mate or whoever did the inviting. Generally I like to have "behind the scene" rules - just don't leave the dock if there is something or somebody that experience says would "break the rules" or behave badly

rc5695
09-12-2011, 05:27 PM
If something goes wrong, i just wouldn't take them again. Sorry about the bad experience berg.

My rules:
safety first - all kids 12 & under must wear life-jacket at all times. I don't care how well they swim. If an adult can't swim, they're going to have one on too.
NO SHOES!!!
everyone must be seated when under motion
everything gets stowed unless you're using it
no food/drink that stains and no food while in motion (I HATE chips flying all over!)
no alcohol or tobacco (glad to see same rules in many other's boats!)
spill it, clean it
respect others and their abilities
expect to get wet, and don't whine if you do. You're on a boat for Pete's sake!?! If it can't get wet, leave it on shore.
HAVE FUN!!!

All in all, having been in boats my whole life and owning my own for 15+ years now, I've had nothing but good experiences with guests. The only big frustration came from myself not enforcing my own rules...I let my grandmother wear her shoes in my old boat, which was deep sided outboard, and when stepping in she steps towards the edge of the seat, letting the mat'l roll over the edge and stretching it like a tear and permanently marking it :(

The only consistant pet peave I have is with my own kids sometimes... they seem to think it is OK to get up and walk around/change seats when we're going slow to pick up someone who's fallen. Just sit down and stay there please. ;)

rc5695
09-12-2011, 05:32 PM
sorry if it has already been stated as I haven't had time to thoroughly read each and every thread yet, but another thing to keep in mind:

We, experienced boaters, can't expect somebody who has only been on a boat once to know and respect all our rules. If we don't make the rules clear by going over them before getting underway, we don't have a right to blow up at them. If we explain the rules and they can't/won't/don't follow them, let 'em swim back to the dock...

millerda68
09-12-2011, 05:48 PM

We have them (now 16 and 20). We even have a young nephew (3) and niece (1) that we are waiting to get older to get them out. The problem is under 6, parents aren't watching and holding to the rules. It is simply easier to avoid the situation all together. 6+ and well behaved, I have no issues with (just bring a life jacket that fits). I would happily burn through a tank of gas trying to teach them to ski/board/surf/tube if they had their heart set on it.

Just too many "friends" who don't set the rules and hold the kids to them.

sandm
09-12-2011, 06:20 PM

exactly. I can only handle pulling kids on tubes for so long, and then the long pouty face when you fill up the ballast and surf.
I don't have an issue pulling a kid every now and again, but some parents just don't know when to tell their kid it's time for others, or don't know themselves and want their kid entertained 24/7 when out there. easier to not deal with it imo..
and I suppose this is due to me not having kids of my own. my tolerance for them is somewhat slim.
I am thankful that I realized my intolerance for kids early and never had them. it makes me sick to see those that either can't afford or don't want to take care of them filling up the world with babies :(

cab13367
09-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Since I have a family that includes a 7 year old daughter and a 14 year old son, I take two different kinds of boating trips. One is more family oriented where we invite other families with kids, or just the kids of other families if the parents can’t make it, and the focus is more on tubing and swimming and just being on the water. We go to the lake for this one. I will wakeboard and surf early in the day if the conditions are good but otherwise, I go into it knowing I probably won’t be doing either, other than surfing with the kids. The kids love for me to take them on the board with me with me so I indulge them and have fun doing it. Last time we went out, I surfed with 5 different kids in a row, one after the other. Just one 2 or 3 minute pull per kid but I was getting pretty worn out by the 5th kid but it was a lot of fun. My kids really love going boating especially when we bring some of their friends, and it’s my 7 year old daughter’s favorite thing to do. By kids, I mean ages 6 and up generally but my 14 year old son will usually also bring a friend along. These are all kids from the neighborhood whose parents we are good friends with. All the parents and kids “get it”, meaning they know to listen to us and the parents jump right in when their kids don’t; they respect us and the boat and appreciate that we invite them out.

We don’t have a lot of rules for the kids, other than:
• If under 13, must wear life jackets at all times as it’s the law, unless we are anchored and they want to take it off to warm up, and the parents approve.
• Must be seated on your bottom when the boat is moving.
• Once you get out of the water, do not come into the cabin when you are dripping wet.
• All shoes/sandals go under the port bow seat.

That’s about it. When we break for lunch, it’s an all out picnic. I try to discourage people from bringing messy snacks when kids are involved but I’ve relaxed that position over time and just ask them to eat the messy snacks over the swim platform and to wash their hands in the water afterwards. Not a big deal. I’ve had people bring smoke salmon and crackers, chips and dip, etc, and we all dig in. We sometimes pick up a whole pizza to go and eat it on the boat.

The kids I take out are great kids, they have a blast, and I love being in a position to share my love of the water with them. The kids behave and know to wait their turn whether it’s tubing, or swimming, or surfing. We have a great time with them. And the parents also appreciate being invited to come with us and that we will take their kid off their hands for an entire day and take them on our boat with us if they can’t make it.

The other type of boating I do is with friends who like to ride. These are mostly coworkers who are half my age. For these trips, we go to the river. My son will usually go but my wife and daughter will not. On these trips, it’s purely wakeboarding and surfing, then hanging out and swimming if we have time afterwards. The tube stays at home for this one. This is when I get my riding in and is a totally different boating experience. I usually get in one of each day every weekend since every other weekend is a 3 day weekend for me (I get every other Friday off).

I think trying to combine both types of boating on every trip is when issues and frustration arise.

Oh, and both types of trips include a cooler full of adult beverages :)

08LSV
09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I think I would like hang out on Cab's boat the most. Maybe I could learn how to be more easy going. You hittin that funny grass up to stay so chillaxed Cab?

kaneboats
09-13-2011, 09:43 AM
No shoes. No animals. No food. No beverages. And absolutely no people!

rdlangston13
09-13-2011, 10:10 AM
I think it's crazy that some of you dont allow beer. Thats like one of the key ingredients to a good day on the water...

kaneboats
09-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Or off for that matter.

rc5695
09-13-2011, 11:41 AM
I think it's crazy that some of you dont allow beer. Thats like one of the key ingredients to a good day on the water...

I don't really drink at all anymore, but when I did, I almost threw my wife and child out of the boat. It was in our outboard moving right along on some waves having fun in and out of the water ;) That was the end of that!!! No, I wasn't plastered, and I dind't have a bunch of buddies in my boat to impress them or egging me on. Just having fun, with a little too impared judgement. Besides, it is illegal to drink and drive...They ought to do more breathalizers on the lake IMO... I'm sure it would cut down on lake accidents.

saskyrider
09-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Since I have a family that includes a 7 year old daughter and a 14 year old son, I take two different kinds of boating trips. One is more family oriented where we invite other families with kids, or just the kids of other families if the parents can’t make it, and the focus is more on tubing and swimming and just being on the water. We go to the lake for this one. I will wakeboard and surf early in the day if the conditions are good but otherwise, I go into it knowing I probably won’t be doing either, other than surfing with the kids. The kids love for me to take them on the board with me with me so I indulge them and have fun doing it. Last time we went out, I surfed with 5 different kids in a row, one after the other. Just one 2 or 3 minute pull per kid but I was getting pretty worn out by the 5th kid but it was a lot of fun. My kids really love going boating especially when we bring some of their friends, and it’s my 7 year old daughter’s favorite thing to do. By kids, I mean ages 6 and up generally but my 14 year old son will usually also bring a friend along. These are all kids from the neighborhood whose parents we are good friends with. All the parents and kids “get it”, meaning they know to listen to us and the parents jump right in when their kids don’t; they respect us and the boat and appreciate that we invite them out.

• If under 13, must wear life jackets at all times as it’s the law, unless we are anchored and they want to take it off to warm up, and the parents approve.
• Once you get out of the water, do not come into the cabin when you are dripping wet.

That’s about it. When we break for lunch, it’s an all out picnic. I try to discourage people from bringing messy snacks when kids are involved but I’ve relaxed that position over time and just ask them to eat the messy snacks over the swim platform and to wash their hands in the water afterwards. Not a big deal. I’ve had people bring smoke salmon and crackers, chips and dip, etc, and we all dig in. We sometimes pick up a whole pizza to go and eat it on the boat.

The kids I take out are great kids, they have a blast, and I love being in a position to share my love of the water with them. The kids behave and know to wait their turn whether it’s tubing, or swimming, or surfing. We have a great time with them. And the parents also appreciate being invited to come with us and that we will take their kid off their hands for an entire day and take them on our boat with us if they can’t make it.

The other type of boating I do is with friends who like to ride. These are mostly coworkers who are half my age. For these trips, we go to the river. My son will usually go but my wife and daughter will not. On these trips, it’s purely wakeboarding and surfing, then hanging out and swimming if we have time afterwards. The tube stays at home for this one. This is when I get my riding in and is a totally different boating experience. I usually get in one of each day every weekend since every other weekend is a 3 day weekend for me (I get every other Friday off).

I think trying to combine both types of boating on every trip is when issues and frustration arise.

Dont think i could have put it any better!! because we live 20 minutes away from our cabin we do lots of evening sets.... when we do those it's just people who want to ride... no messing around. You have a limited amount of daylight so we go nonstop. On the weekends when my daughter (7 years old) comes along then there is tubing/swmming and goofing around. I to prefer to have a cooler of drinks on board of both varieties... No smoking and no sandals in the boat are my 2 main rules. Common sense like sitting down when the boat is in motion and stuff like that is explained before we leave.

Ian Brantford
09-13-2011, 12:27 PM

That's a matter of expectations. Of the hundreds of people whom I have entertained over the years on my boat(s), only one even suggested bringing an alcoholic beverage. It happens that I don't drink, but most newcomers don't know that. Everyone seems to be able to relax or frolic just fine without booze.

Personal preference doesn't matter anyway for me. Here in Ontario, a boat is considered to be a motor vehicle, so open/accessible container rules apply. It doesn't even matter if the boat is in motion; you can be charged with using the cupholder for beer at the dock with no boat keys available. I expect that there are specific allowances for boats that are also in use as residences (cuddies, houseboats), but I didn't quickly find those rules. They don't apply for our boats.

I have the full "ATF" rules in place personally: leave your alcohol, tobacco and firearms on shore for use under your own recognisance! :-)

Ed G
09-13-2011, 12:36 PM
I gotta state...I don't have kids and the times that I did have kids on my boat - I have had zero problems or regrets.

Everyone of them have been extremely well behaved (and some have been very good drivers).

Kids of any age will always be welcome on my boat.

especially if they bring beer

Razzman
09-13-2011, 01:21 PM

I pretty much mimic Al's stance on this as well. I used to be a boat nazi but I realized it was hindering MY fun on the water, not the others! I still hold to the no red/orange drinks or snacks, not because i'm worried about the stains but because i'm inherintly lazy and don't want to deal with the cleanup issues. I have a 12v vac onboard and use it when needed.

I also don't drink and drive as it's 100% the same as a motor vehicle in California, get caught, go to jail. I do occasionally have a Mike's at lunch but that's the limit, my drinking comes later when we're off the water at the campground. Day use you say? I don't drink, it's not the end of the world. Everyone else can do as they please, they all know the rules and they're responsible.

BUT I will say this, If you can't have fun on the water without alcohol then there's a problem. Here's a real good example of my reasoning; DUI Charge In Fatal Sonoma Boating Accident (http://www.ktvu.com/news/13272437/detail.html) . This happened not too far from me and a few years ago. The end result was this guy lost everything he owned, and I do mean everything! House, boat, cars, all personal property and his wife. Yeah she divorced him as well, just before he went to jail (http://www.sonoma-county.org/da/press_releases/2010/press_20100326.htm), don't blame her. Just my opinion is all.

KSmith
09-13-2011, 01:46 PM
If you can't have fun on the water without alcohol then there's a problem.

I agree with that statement 100%

bergermaister
09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Seems as if I've struck a nerve here - ha....

BOAT RULES
Nothing is allowed to get wet
Don't touch anything - no sitting or standing
Don't make eye contact with anyone
No food, drink, smoke, weapons, towels, ropes, coolers, or extra clothing
Inquire about Age Rules if you are between 1 to 100
But do not speak unless spoken to
No fun allowed - you will be asked to leave if you accidentally crack a smile more than once.
If you read posts on-line about boat rules then you are automatically banned from coming aboard.

The End!
:lol:

kaneboats
09-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Don't you eyeball me, boy!

rdlangston13
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
i agree that if you cant go out without beer and have fun then something is wrong. but i also think that if you cant go out with beer without something bad happening then something is wrong.

we dont ever get trashed, in fact i think i have only really been buzzed on my boat once, which did lead to a lack of judgment and consequently a trashed black berry lol but most days we just want to relax and have a beer. we are not pro wakeboarders so we are out to have a good time and we like to have a couple beers while we do that. In TX you just can't be driving at over .08 BAC which is fine, i don't think i ever really exceed this but when we do go out we always stop at the gas station, get a 12 pack and a few gatorades, a bag or ice, then hit the water.

those of you that dont drink or dont drink on the boat, im not saying that that is wrong, it just kind of takes away from boating if you are not allowed to kick back with a cold one and relax

yearround
09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
so many rules but they are usually necessary. some of ours change depending on the people who are there, some of them don't. about the only rules that don't change are no alcohol or tobacco on on the boat. I don't drink or smoke and i don't want you doing either in my home. you are welcome to do as you wish in your home.

any law must be followed, life jackets, CGA, orange flag (unless we just were not able to find a third and we are the only boat on the water, this usually happens early in the morning in early spring or fall)

Kids are always welcome.

have a good time, and don't complain, any and all complaints may be addressed at the dock immediately, you will likely be addressing yourself as i will drop you off and enjoy the time without you.

pick up your crumbs when you drop them and keep the trash in the boat

have fun

Ed G
09-15-2011, 05:36 AM
one of my favorite boating rituals...

put on a good CD, get the tower speakers and cabin speakers loud and balanced, put on a vest, jump in the lake and crack open an icy cold can of beer and float around.

Repeat throughout the day as nedeed.

jmvotto
09-15-2011, 07:29 AM

put on a good CD, get the tower speakers and cabin speakers loud and balanced, put on a vest, jump in the lake and crack open an icy cold can of beer and float around.

definately one rule on our boat.... I like to follow Dr.'s orders. Lol

rdlangston13
09-15-2011, 08:01 AM

this is when the little blue throwable "seat cushion" they make us have REALLY comes in handy

Ed G
09-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Throwable seat cushion?

another thing Florida doesn't require...along with a skier-down flag.

In Florida, you throw someone another beer

KSmith
09-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Wouldn't it be better to throw them both a floating seat cushion AND a beer? Otherwise the beer may sink into the depths with the person, wasting a perfectly good beer ;-)

Oh, also maybe a new flag, yes, a Beer Down flag, could be useful..

rdlangston13
09-15-2011, 11:26 AM
it seems from my experience that beer floats

kaneboats
09-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Does nowadays. Didn't used to.

KSmith
09-15-2011, 11:55 AM
well Rd I don't suppose you remember having to use a can opener to punch a couple hole into the beer either or pull tabs that came off the cans so someone could step on them and cut their feet to ribbons... ah such good times in the old days...

Ed G
09-15-2011, 12:07 PM
I recall those days.

As a matter of fact, I used to drink beer that came in an olive drab can marked "Beer" and required a church key to open it.

I always pulled those tabs off the can and immediately put the tabs in the beer can.

Coors was kinda inovative when they came out with the cans that had the two buttons you pressed in.

kaneboats
09-15-2011, 12:08 PM
I remember we would pull the tab off and then stick it in the can where it could choke you if it came out while you were taking a gulp. How stupid was that? Empty beer cans always rattled cuz the tab was inside. I remember cans that had to be punched open from can collections-- beer can collecting used to be a very cool hobby-- but I don't remember anyone ever seeing someone having to punch them open in order to drink. I also remember whenever someone would come back from out west they would bring Coors back. The Coors cans had two round punch tabs in the top -- one to drink from and one to vent the can. Very unique at the time.

dusty2221
09-15-2011, 12:11 PM
After reading this thread, I now need a beer at lunch. Thanks guys.

KSmith
09-15-2011, 12:23 PM
The old cans that had to have a can opener, like the ones used on old tomato juice cans with the triangle shaped blades, used be be called oil cans by my Dad. I never drank from one as even I was too young for that back then LOL.

I do recall that he had one of those can openers tied to the cooler in the boat, he'd lost one at some point and decided if they were tied to the cooler then all was well ;-)

Look like this

Ed G
09-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Those cans were made of steel and quite versatile...

if you opened the cans on the side instead of the top, when you finished the beer, you could use the can as a bong.

KSmith
09-15-2011, 02:12 PM
LMAO, good point Ed... ah the good'ol days

DOCDRS
09-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I really don't see the problem anyone has on their boat. They are the BO and big deal if they have some stupid rule like No havin fun. Or No drinking beer. Or dry off on the platform before coming in the boat. I don't even have a problem if someone wants me to keep my shoes on when I go into their house even tho I usually decline and remove my shoes. I just think its plain old polite.

cab13367
09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
i agree that if you cant go out without beer and have fun then something is wrong. but i also think that if you cant go out with beer without something bad happening then something is wrong.

we dont ever get trashed, in fact i think i have only really been buzzed on my boat once, which did lead to a lack of judgment and consequently a trashed black berry lol but most days we just want to relax and have a beer. we are not pro wakeboarders so we are out to have a good time and we like to have a couple beers while we do that. In TX you just can't be driving at over .08 BAC which is fine, i don't think i ever really exceed this but when we do go out we always stop at the gas station, get a 12 pack and a few gatorades, a bag or ice, then hit the water.

those of you that dont drink or dont drink on the boat, im not saying that that is wrong, it just kind of takes away from boating if you are not allowed to kick back with a cold one and relax

I'm with langston. Nobody gets smashed on my boat and starts doing stupid stuff. Has never happened and I wouldn't allow it to happen. But most of my crew and I will enjoy a few cold ones most times that we go out (but not everyone and not every time). I have no problem if people want to drink on my boat (as long as they do so in moderation) or if they don't.

Live and let live, I say.

Al

ian ashton
09-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Personal preference doesn't matter anyway for me. Here in Ontario, a boat is considered to be a motor vehicle, so open/accessible container rules apply. It doesn't even matter if the boat is in motion; you can be charged with using the cupholder for beer at the dock with no boat keys available. I expect that there are specific allowances for boats that are also in use as residences (cuddies, houseboats), but I didn't quickly find those rules. They don't apply for our boats.

I have the full "ATF" rules in place personally: leave your alcohol, tobacco and firearms on shore for use under your own recognisance! :-)

Every year we go to Grand Bend Ontario for a week, and every year I see the O.P.P. busting boats of all kinds and sizes (including cuddies) for having alcohol on board. What I found pretty crazy is that we've seen boats get nailed for having a bottle of liquor on board, but stowed in the cuddie. Doesn't matter, if the seal is broken, your done.

WaterBullDawg1980
09-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Whats with this old beer? "Real Beer flavor???? What in the world???

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XdP6Lp2ceqY/TR_4KFZl92I/AAAAAAAAjpU/pmDbnlyrcko/s400/thumb160x_cooks106b.jpg

Replicant
09-15-2011, 07:53 PM
No shoes!

NO WHINING!!!!

Seriously, I am pretty relaxed about most things. A beer and food is ok but heavy drinking is a no no. I am totally anal about things being stowed and most of my crew members are boat people so they get it. I have a 12v dust buster on board so the chips and crackers get sucked up sooner than later. But honestly, I have zero tolerance for whining.

Ed G
09-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Pittsburgh Brewing Company - makers of Iron City Beer, picked up this line after the original brewery closed in 1955.

One of the PBC's most famous joke beers, which usually came out around Christmas time was "Old Frothingslosh".

PBC also is under contract to produce Sam Adams beer.

Hate to say it, but we folks from the 'Burgh tend to stay away from these beers, once we get out of college.

Iron City was cheap to buy for fraternity parties...only $16 for a 1/2 barrel.

Ever Friday, we would buy twelve 1/2 barrels, and be out of beer by midnight.

Replicant
09-15-2011, 07:59 PM
I am embarrassed to say that I have at least two Old Frothingslosh cans in a box somewhere. Right next to the Billy beer, MASH beer, JR Ewing beer and many more. I believe the Old Frothingslosh cans had rather large women on them for a time.

Ed G
09-15-2011, 08:01 PM
yep. Some big 'ole fatties always adorned the cans.

harmsway
09-15-2011, 08:57 PM
My speech for newbies always starts "I am anal about my boat, so respect it" then my wife always chimes in and he's not joking. I just expect friends to respect what I have and that being said I have never had anyone refuse to come back on the water for more fun. We did invite some friends out a couple of weekends ago and they ask if they could bring there dogs..... Well they decided not to come with us. We don't bring our dogs and they know that. Why would someone even pose such a question? And no we never accept gas money!

skiyaker
09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Every year we go to Grand Bend Ontario for a week, and every year I see the O.P.P. busting boats of all kinds and sizes (including cuddies) for having alcohol on board. What I found pretty crazy is that we've seen boats get nailed for having a bottle of liquor on board, but stowed in the cuddie. Doesn't matter, if the seal is broken, your done.

holy crap I had no idea- 2 yrs ago a buddy took me on a fishing trip he had won in an NRA silent auction to Reddit ON. I kid you not we fished for 16-18 hours a day- and went though multiple cases of labatt's while doing so. I thought the point of fishing was to get drunk- glad we didn't get busted granted I'm not sure we saw another boat the entire time.

DOCDRS
09-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I remember taking my dad out fishing one time and he asked me if I had a fishing license.......i said no, but they rarely come around...... he said they'll take my boat , my motor and fine me :( ...... I asked if he had a license , and he said he didn't need one?????? he was over 65 and seniors get to fish for free........so I said i would just run the boat for him so i could take him fishing..... he then has the gall to ask me what do we have to drink? ..... I says " I have water, coke , 7 up, OJ, and gingerale.......he says "What no beer?" I reply "hell , they 'll take my boat my motor and fine me!!!!!" .... he replies "Oh Everyone does it we'll be ok!!!!"

KSmith
09-15-2011, 09:49 PM
That was how I looked at fishing, merely an excuse to tie one on with family or friends. 1 boat, up to 4 people total on our boat, two coolers of beer, some muchies maybe, a sandwich if we were lucky, a few fishing poles, some lures and bait...

Opening day fishing weekends were a tradition, about 20 of us total, those that had campers, trailers, boats brought them and shared. Fishing and drinking all day, poker, telling fish stories and drinking all night... good times.

DOCDRS
09-15-2011, 10:37 PM
That was how I looked at fishing, merely an excuse to tie one on with family or friends. 1 boat, up to 4 people total on our boat, two coolers of beer, some muchies maybe, a sandwich if we were lucky, a few fishing poles, some lures and bait...

Opening day fishing weekends were a tradition, about 20 of us total, those that had campers, trailers, boats brought them and shared. Fishing and drinking all day, poker, telling fish stories and drinking all night... good times.

BEAUTIFUL....those were the days

mmandley
09-16-2011, 05:25 AM
We have 3 basic rules.

1 Have a good time, you and your crappy mood will be left at the dock. i have done it already
2 you have to be ok with losing your swim suit if you get in the water, if you lose it boarding or surfing we will throw you a towel but im not wasting my time looking for your cloths.
3 Always do what me or Claudia tell you when we tell you and dont ask questions. exp if i tell you to put your drink down then do it because the Po Po might be scopping us out lol.

Ed G
09-18-2011, 02:48 PM
One of the guests in my boat yesterday spilled a coke onto the carpet of my floor yesterday.

Man, was he upset and apologetic.

To make him feel better, I popped open another coke and poured it all over the floor.

He relaxed after that.

Rules?

We don't need no stinkin rules.

txduckman07
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I've only had my boat for a year now, but I've found that I don't necessarily need to be a tyrant to get my point across. I make it clear that I AM the captain and what I say is best.

I set the tone by making everyone ditch their shoes before coming aboard. People who don't already know me well think to themself "Damn, this guy is anal. I'm going to be careful on his boat"

My wife tends to regulate the drinking to a manageable level.

Most people have offered gas money (except family), the rest have brought food/beer and always tried to help clean the boat on the ramp (whether I want help or not).

rdlangston13
09-19-2011, 07:08 PM
im sure somerville has been reduced to a puddle by now, where are your riding?

Practice Amp
09-19-2011, 10:58 PM

Second that, I'm going to be using that quite a bit in future.

txduckman07
09-20-2011, 10:24 AM
im sure somerville has been reduced to a puddle by now, where are your riding?

Calling Somerville a puddle is being generous. I found a sand bar in the middle of the lake about 5 weeks ago and it's down several more feet since then. Going to haul the boat up to Belton this weekend and give it a try.

rdlangston13
09-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Calling Somerville a puddle is being generous. I found a sand bar in the middle of the lake about 5 weeks ago and it's down several more feet since then. Going to haul the boat up to Belton this weekend and give it a try.

you are going the wrong way man. go to riverside, its closer and the water is better.