PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder Setup?

LakePerson1952
09-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I apologize in advance if this is not the correct section for this question.

I am curious about the video or Camcorder setups people are using. I want to record myself for improvement reasons and I want to capture video of my kids and grandkids skiing for long-term storage (so being able to use flash drives or SDRAM cards is important). For the camera, I've heard optical stabilization is best.

Anyway, I'd like to hear pro and con on reasonably priced cameras and tracking camera mounts - and it would be great if someone knows of a mount usable for both pylon and tower.

Thanks.

JPAGE
09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Check out this website they have the mounts and camera info...

http://wakevideo.com/

maxpower220
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I just purchased a Sony waterproof camera, DSC-TX10. It takes HD video and allows you to zoom in and out while taking video. You can also take still photos while recording. If you are into it, it takes 3D pics, but I don't have a 3d TV.

The video quality is so good, I don't use my camcorder anymore. It is tiny in size and its waterproof. It used SD or Memory Stick.

Good luck.

BensonWdby
09-07-2011, 11:05 PM
I designed and built a tracker - http://bensonwdby.home.comcast.net/~bensonwdby/pylon_swivel/Pylon_Swivel_Tracking_Camera_Mount.htm

I have modified it a bit and have not updated the page.

As far as stabilization - I have an old Sony Hi-8 camcorder - probably 15 years old? If you watch the video on the above web site you will see that the image is reasonably stable with no hi-tech features in the camera or the mount.

zabooda
09-08-2011, 12:46 AM
Check benbargains once in a while as the GoPro goes on sale.
DEAL
GoPro 1080p Hero Naked Camera + 32GB SDHC $239 at BuyDig.com $239
Discuss (2) - Posted at 11:00 AM on Friday 09/2/11 by Ben

BuyDig.com has the GoPro 1080p Hero Naked Camera (CHDNH-001) for $259 - $20 off with coupon code LABORDAYSAVINGS [Exp 9/4] = $239 with free shipping. Lexar Platinum II 32GB SDHC Memory Card, Class 6 (LSD32GBSBNA100) included with purchase. Features waterproof quick-release housing, rechargeable battery, curved 3M adhesive mount, 127 degree 1080p or 170 degree 960p video. [Compare]
Price History $20
Watch This DealGood Deal!

DEAL
GoPro HD 1080p On-Board Camera and Camcorder $199 at eBay $199
Discuss (0) - Posted at 8:18 AM on Thursday 09/1/11 by Barbarossa

eBay with Eastern Performance Cycles has the GoPro CHDMH-001 HD Motorsports HERO 1080p On-Board Camera and Camcorder for $199 with free shipping. Full HD video, 60fps in 720p, wide (170 degree) angle lens, and includes mounts for attaching to helmet, motorcycle, car, ATV, boat, or other vehicle. [Amazon Reviews : Compare]

deafgoose
09-08-2011, 02:27 AM
I designed and built a tracker - http://bensonwdby.home.comcast.net/~bensonwdby/pylon_swivel/Pylon_Swivel_Tracking_Camera_Mount.htm

I have modified it a bit and have not updated the page.

As far as stabilization - I have an old Sony Hi-8 camcorder - probably 15 years old? If you watch the video on the above web site you will see that the image is reasonably stable with no hi-tech features in the camera or the mount.

I love the idea of building my own camera mount from off the shelf parts but its gotta look good.

I applaud your efforts but I could not mount your tracker on my boat without feeling embarrassed. lol

BensonWdby
09-08-2011, 07:36 AM
I never said it was pretty.. - but if you want pretty I think it would be pretty hard to build one - unless you know a good machinist who works cheap (free).

BWeber
09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
I bought a Drift Innovations camera (HD170 Stealth). It records in full 1080P or 720P depending if you have a computer that can handle video editing at hi res. The camera is water resistant and comes with a remote so you can start and stop recording to only get action footage. It has a fish eye lens with 170deg viewing angle when recording 720P (127deg @ 1080P). So there is no need for a mount that tracks with the rope, the camera shows everything. The only dissadvantage is there is no zoom. It makes the rider seem far away for wakeboarding, but for surfing its spot on. You can get a variety of mounts for it that will allow you place it just about anywhere on the boat.

KSmith
09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
I bought a Drift Innovations camera (HD170 Stealth).

That is the camera I ended up buying. The remote I have strapped to the steering wheel spoke which makes it uber easy to toggle the camera from record to standby. You can zoom this camera, but not in 1080 mode, and you can't zoom it with the remote. I have mine mounted to the tower with a couple of bimini clamps and a flash extender bar between the clamps with a quick release As it mounts up above the bimini, it is difficult to try and fiddle with the zoom or menu so I have to set everything before I connect it to the mount. It is a nice camera but we haven't used it much yet as I need to rethink the mount as when the camera is mounted it rubs against the bimini... I have been looking at the tracker mounts but haven't made a decision yet (too many other items have had a higher priority).

Lawdog
09-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Check out this website they have the mounts and camera info...

http://wakevideo.com/

Does anybody here have any experience with any of these products? If so what do you think of it? I might put this on my list of "upgrades" for my boat this winter.

LakePerson1952
09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Does anybody here have any experience with any of these products? If so what do you think of it? I might put this on my list of "upgrades" for my boat this winter.

I don't have any direct experience but I did just find out some useful info for (at least) 2010 Outback owners (maybe other direct drives as well). According to the guy that builds them, the Tower Mini mount should work for BOTH the inboard pylon and the tower so that you don't need to buy 2 of them (unless you want to).