PDA

View Full Version : Proud of my little man

bergermaister
09-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Lake Billy Chinook over the weekend ended up being super crowded (shock, surprise), rough, smoky from the nearby wildfires, windy, etc. - a little disappointing. Basically water for tubing and not much else.

I had my 8yr old son, 10yr old daughter and 9yr old friend out on the three person tube. My son is a little timid of the water still - at least being out behind the boat. Doesn't want to go very fast. Kind of scares him to be alone, away from the boat, etc. so he's not real into all of the watersports yet. My 10yr old daughter is a little more brave on the water but still gets nervous/scared sometimes. These two are only 19 months apart and best buddies from the beginning.

Well after crossing a few other wakes the kids take a bump and my daughter bounces off. I cut the throttle and start to spin only to see my little man look back at sister in the water by herself looking kind of scared and a split second later he dives off the tube and starts swimming towards her!

I couldn't believe it - he is WAY more afraid of being out in the water than she is but wasn't about to leave her out there alone. Dove right in to the big rollers and chop like a super stud. Considering the rough water and other boats not really the best thing that could have happened but I was super proud of him for facing his fear and "rescuing" his sister. So cool to see in action.

Still kind of blows me away thinking about it. So proud of that boy I had to share the story...

jester
09-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Berg, That is great. Well not great and great at the same time. Not great that he decided to swim in chop and now you have two in the water you have to keep and eye on but great he will protect his sister and knows when she is scared and will help.

bergermaister
09-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I hear ya. Kind of went from an oh sh!t to a holy sh!t, couldn't believe he did it moment. We had the father-son pow-wow a little later and talked about his heroic move and the danger of it. Still more impressed with him than anything though.

kaneboats
09-06-2011, 01:12 PM
He's got the right instincts. Now just have to get him thinking on his feet. Gonna be a good one!

wolfeman131
09-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Good job, little berg!

Glad it all worked OK, big berg. I'd be proud too.

saskyrider
09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
that is cool as heck!! my daughter is timid behind the boat as well and falling into less than calm water can be even more frightening!! she's done it a couple times... getting bounced off in rollers that is. thankfully she has always been riding with someone else and they do the same thing and jump off so she doesn't freak out.. however those other kids are a lot older than her not younger!! Your little guy has the right attitude as far as i'm concerned!!!

jpetty3023
09-06-2011, 10:59 PM
That's a great read berg and as a father I'm sure you couldn't be prouder at this stage in his life! My oldest child is a boy (13) and he has two sisters (7&9) and each day I explain to him the importance of taking care of family and "protecting" his sisters just as your son did. No words were needed thou for your case!!!

moombadaze
09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Great story and yes you should be very proud of him, just thankfully it worked out the way it did.