PDA

View Full Version : Time to change my impellar?

Moomba Dad
09-06-2011, 09:34 AM

This is from my '04 LSV. I believe it's the original.

Moomba Dad

pmoomba
09-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I think there is some life left in that one yet.

04OUTBACK
09-06-2011, 09:42 AM
WOW. Most folks change every year or so! amazing it made it that long... you may have bits and pieces in the engine for a bit.. watch for overheating.

Moomba Dad
09-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm sure it was the original. The water pump cover screws, to remove the impellar, were still completely painted over from the factory. They had never been touched by a tool.

She seems to be running at normal temps now.

When I first started it I noticed a high pitched whine sound. Then a few minutes later I noticed the temp gauge needle making its way into new territory.

Fortunately when I bought the boat three years ago I also picked up a spare impellar and gasket. I pretty much forgot I even did that until I started searching the Mooba boards for the cause of my new high temperature.

What a pain to change though. I took the port-side storage wall out to help remove the pump. It would have been much easier to get at if I just had one or two more elbows in my right arm. :) Oh well...I got it all back together and it's running fine now. :D I just need to buy another spare impellar and gasket for the future.

bkearney
09-06-2011, 10:23 AM
My impeller, I think, is on the back of the engine. It looks to be impossible go get to. Is there a trick to getting it out?

Moomba Dad
09-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Yes, your pump is in the back, bottom area of the engine compartment. See my previous post. I pulled the wood port-side compartment wall out, then removed the entire water pump. The pump is held on my three allen screws that go through the belt pulley. Then there's a 4th smaller allen screw that goes through a metal angle and into the bottom of the water pump. (That one is a bugger to remove.)

My pump was full of impellar blade pieces. I would not have been able to see, or remove, them without removing the entire pump 1st. It is a pain in the a$$ though.

Oh, I also unhooked the engine compartment lid support arm and had my son hold the lid in the upright position while workiing on it. It provides more access that way.

It's not a hard job if you're a little mechanically inclined. My neighbor just looked at me and shook his head. He would have wrote a check for $200-300 instead. Not me though.

Good luck.

Moomba Dad
09-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know where I can order a new impellar and gasket over the internet to have it shipped to me?

deafgoose
09-06-2011, 11:26 AM
The amount of time you can get out of an impeller really depends on your lake/river. If you have allot of sand that is suspended in the water, its best to replace them yearly.

I replaced my impeller after 3 full seasons and it looked new.

deafgoose
09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know where I can order a new impellar and gasket over the internet to have it shipped to me?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

Moomba Dad
09-06-2011, 11:34 AM
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

Deafgoose,

Thanx man!!!

jester
09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes, your pump is in the back, bottom area of the engine compartment. See my previous post. I pulled the wood port-side compartment wall out, then removed the entire water pump. The pump is held on my three allen screws that go through the belt pulley. Then there's a 4th smaller allen screw that goes through a metal angle and into the bottom of the water pump. (That one is a bugger to remove.)

My pump was full of impellar blade pieces. I would not have been able to see, or remove, them without removing the entire pump 1st. It is a pain in the a$$ though.

Oh, I also unhooked the engine compartment lid support arm and had my son hold the lid in the upright position while workiing on it. It provides more access that way.

It's not a hard job if you're a little mechanically inclined. My neighbor just looked at me and shook his head. He would have wrote a check for $200-300 instead. Not me though.

Good luck.

You do not need to pull the whole pump system. I do it from the right side of the boat. Starboard side. Once you get access to the water pump the water pump is the only thing that has only two 1 ¼ hoes going too it. One on top of the other. There are 4 screws on the impeller case that you will unscrew them to the back of the boat. Once you get it off there is a gasket that you might pull off or it might fall off. The next part is the tricky part. I say buy an impeller puller. It is about $55 on Amazon. You slide it into the impeller and twist the side screws then once it is gripped down twist the top screw and out it comes. Takes more time getting to the impeller then pulling it.

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-50070-0040-Marine-Impeller-Diameter/dp/B000O8B1SS

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m429/j3stert/2011-09-06_093645.jpg

Moomba Dad
09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
You do not need to pull the whole pump system. I do it from the right side of the boat. Starboard side. Once you get access to the water pump the water pump is the only thing that has only two 1 ¼ hoes going too it. One on top of the other. There are 4 screws on the impeller case that you will unscrew them to the back of the boat. Once you get it off there is a gasket that you might pull off or it might fall off. The next part is the tricky part. I say buy an impeller puller. It is about $55 on Amazon. You slide it into the impeller and twist the side screws then once it is gripped down twist the top screw and out it comes. Takes more time getting to the impeller then pulling it.

I agree that you do not have to pull the pump. However, I think it's just as easier to do so. You either pull four screws out of the pump, or four screws out of the impeller cover, and none of them are easy to get to. Plus you still have to remove the old gasket and clean up the surface before installing the new one. If you pull the pump you can at least look inside of it to remove the impeller blades and see where you're installing the gasket. I'd rather spend my $55 on another replacement impeller and gasket.

To each his own though.

Moomba Dad

FargoDawg
09-06-2011, 01:42 PM
the link previous...... is it the one I need, are they that common of a part or is that link specific to the boat in moomba dads sig? do I need to do more research or just order 2? I want to change mine out as I believe it is the original, and have a spare in the boat.

Moomba Dad
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
the link previous...... is it the one I need, are they that common of a part or is that link specific to the boat in moomba dads sig? do I need to do more research or just order 2? I want to change mine out as I believe it is the original, and have a spare in the boat.

What motor do you have?

Moomba Dad
09-06-2011, 01:59 PM
FargoDawg,

I believe that because you don't have a V-drive (LS'V') that your pump is in the front which makes it about 100 times easier to change. Can someone else confirm this?

Moomba Dad

kaneboats
09-06-2011, 02:34 PM
The pump is on the front of all these engines. It's just that the V-drive requires them to put the engine in backwards and so it's at the back of the boat. :)

FargoDawg
09-06-2011, 02:48 PM
its the 325 indmar, Ive located the housing (very friendly) just havent got around to order an impeller, since when I tried to research it I couldnt find any specifics and gave up.

kaneboats
09-06-2011, 03:10 PM
On stuff like this you can always call skidim. They are very helpful on the phone and know what fits what.

cab13367
09-06-2011, 04:02 PM
The amount of time you can get out of an impeller really depends on your lake/river. If you have allot of sand that is suspended in the water, its best to replace them yearly.

I replaced my impeller after 3 full seasons and it looked new.

Looking new has nothing to do with it. The impeller is rubber and rubber gets brittle over time and will eventually fail, and it will probably still look like new right up until the moment it fails. Changing it every two years just makes it less likely that it will fail on the water which is never convenient.

I agree that you do not have to pull the pump. However, I think it's just as easier to do so. You either pull four screws out of the pump, or four screws out of the impeller cover, and none of them are easy to get to. Plus you still have to remove the old gasket and clean up the surface before installing the new one. If you pull the pump you can at least look inside of it to remove the impeller blades and see where you're installing the gasket. I'd rather spend my $55 on another replacement impeller and gasket.

To each his own though.

Moomba Dad

The first time I changed my impeller, I also tried to remove the water pump. Removed all the bolts but it would NOT come free to matter what I did. I think the paint or rust permanently bonded it. So I just remove the housing cover to get to it. I remove the impeller every year as part of winterization and I can do it in less than 5 minutes now. I use needle nose vise grips like the pic below to get it out. Insert one jaw in the middle of the impeller and the other between the rubber vanes, apply just the right pressure, then work it out. And the gasket comes off in one piece so no scraping necessary.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419ZGJB610L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

squeeg333
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I second what Al says above. Needle nose vice grips, a little silicone lube, and some wiggling, and the impeller's come right now. I also pull mine each year, so that might have something to do wtih it. If you leave it for over two years, it might be more difficuly to pull out. I know the first time I pulled it out after buying the boat used, it was the first time it had been pulled. It was probably about 1.5 years old (only about 100 hours on it), and it came out hard. They come easy now though.

moombadaze
09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
once you have done it you will find no need to remove the pump, Like Al said, in about 5 minutes it can be out

jmb
09-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Mine, the hub in the middle (brass) let got from the rubber piece, the glue I guess. Less than a year and a half old. Did this about a month ago. Had to get towed in(pontoon boat, yikes). I will change every year now.

zroutt
09-08-2011, 11:34 AM
I spoke with my local service manager. I asked her about changing it out with my end of year oil change and winterization. She said to do it at the beginning of the year so the brand new one isn't just sitting there over the winter.

jester
09-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I spoke with my local service manager. I asked her about changing it out with my end of year oil change and winterization. She said to do it at the beginning of the year so the brand new one isn't just sitting there over the winter.

Zroutt,

You pull the old one out at the start of winter so no water is trapped on it and leave it open. Then at the start of the summer you put a new one in.

zroutt
09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Cool, good tip. Did not know to do that. Makes total sense. Will be doing so in a couple of weeks.

moombadaze
09-08-2011, 08:51 PM
umm, do you leave to impellar cover off for the winter months?

jmb
09-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I guess I don't. I have never taken my impellar out for the winter. I start mine once a month with the fake a lake during the winter. I think it does it good.

Moomba Dad
09-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I ordered the my new spare replacement kit (impeller & gasket) from Skidim on Tuesday, and it arrived yesterday (Thursday). Gotta like that service!

Moomba Dad

mcdye
09-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I pull impellar when I winterize. Place it in zip lock bag coated with petroluem jelly, it becomes my spare. Place the impellar cover back on with the old gasket, finger tight, just to keep bugs and such out. In the spring put in new impellar and gasket.

FargoDawg
09-09-2011, 11:33 AM
called skidim, very helpful...not to mention, the guy I talked with had not only heard of but had been to Fargo many times in his younger years. ski dim is now on my list of places to recommend.

NCSUmoomba
09-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I hope you guys are better with the rest of the maintenance. The owners manual says to replace yearly.

Moomba Dad
09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
I hope you guys are better with the rest of the maintenance. The owners manual says to replace yearly.

Do you?????

cab13367
09-09-2011, 10:22 PM
I guess I don't. I have never taken my impellar out for the winter. I start mine once a month with the fake a lake during the winter. I think it does it good.

I think it's better for the engine if you properly winterize it including using fogging oil.

deepcove
09-10-2011, 12:13 AM
04 on original impeller??? You are living on borrowed time. Replace it every 2 years.

zabooda
09-10-2011, 01:19 AM
3-4 years for mine. Maybe longer as I don't keep track but I do inspect it and replace when needed.

brownski
09-10-2011, 11:10 AM
I am sure I am on borrowed time too. Mine is a 99 Outback LS and changed the original at 7 years, and the one I put in is on year 5. Probably should put my spare in this year. I know some of you are thinking what a frickin' gambler.

deerfield
09-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Pull the impeller at the end of each season. Reinstall the cover to keep the pump housing sealed during winter. In the spring, install new impeller, keeping the impeller from prior season on board as a backup.

NCSUmoomba
09-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I do replace my impeller every year, and the spark plugs. I follow the maintenance schedule to the letter. I take no chances.

Moomba Dad
09-13-2011, 09:20 PM
I do replace my impeller every year, and the spark plugs. I follow the maintenance schedule to the letter. I take no chances.

Wow...I'm impressed. I know if I had a DD I might change it a bit more often, too. But I prolly still wouldn't be as regular as you are. Good job

Moomba Dad