PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Gooroos

mobiusLSV05
05-02-2005, 07:25 PM
To all you owners out there, I need to know what in your opinion, what is the best way to go as far as speakes, subs, and amps are concerned. Is it really necessary to spend the extra money on all marine grade products? What brands are recommended? Currently the boat came with the Roswell cans on the tower,with Kenwood speakers in them. Otherwise everything is the standard factory stuff.

Yelllow LSV
06-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Well,
I do stereos and alrms for a living on cars and have done it for boats occassionally and even on marine equipment it gives problems with the salt from the ocean for the price on most marine equipment you can get two regular. Anyhow the kenwood that comes with my mobius for example is not marine. I installed two Audiopipe amps 10 pioneer rev series speaker 6 in the boat and four on the tower. They have been working fine for a year now. Even after hosing the boat down.

Wendland99
07-05-2005, 02:44 AM
I work for LoudLiquid Tower Accessories and we have our own installation center and we install audio systems in boats 90% of the time and never use marine grade audio equipment. All that is necessary is to take your time with your installation and insuring you install it in a good dry location. But if any boat is left outside through winter the moisture gathers in your boat it could possible cause damage if it sits. But from the normal summer usage and wetness you should have no problems. And all speakers can handle the weather as long as there are no paper, like stock factory car stereos.

i would be happy to answer any other questions that you may have

Dave
LoudLiquid.com
[email protected]

AJones
07-05-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm not a "Stereo Gooroo" but I can tell you from personal experience that regular auto head units work fine. My '96 Boomerang came with a Kenwood unit that worked fine up until last year. A buddy's wakeboard boat (Supra Launch) came by pulling a boarder at slow speed. This was a bad combination for my low riding Boomerang. Water washed over the bow, rode over the windshield, and drowned the stereo, which was turned on with the cover open along with putting a couple of inches of water in the floor to be pumped out. In my boat the stereo sits vertically down thru the top of the dash instead of horizontally so water poured straight thru it. It crackled and popped and made all sorts of bad noises until I pulled the inline fuse. I pulled it out of the boat and let it sit and dry out for a couple of weeks while using an older CD unit that I couldn't even sell in a yard sale. I temporarily wired the drowned unit back up just to check it before buying a replacement. To my surprise it worked just as well as before getting dunked. I'm still using it today with no problems. I installed a new waterproof cover and make it a point to keep the cover closed..