PDA

View Full Version : new engine in 98 mobius

flydoc
03-10-2003, 01:10 AM
I just purchased a 98 mobius with an engine that had not been winterized last year and has a cracked block. I'm debating putting a brand new indmar 310hp carburated engine (aprox $5500 installed in Idaho) vs buying a new base engine in crate from gm (though car dealer) for $1900) and take the "marinized parts off the old and bolt onto the new one. From my understanding the new one from Gm doesn't need much except carb, manifolds, water pump etc. Sounds like easy job form the local mechanic and should have the reliability of newone cause core engine is factory built. Am I missing something like different cams and internal parts that need to be brass (then we would have to open up engine and deal with lots more work). Does Indmar Build off stock GM block (with external parts only? Any help would be helpful as $3000 would buy lots of accesories if I really saved that much.

dmgx
04-10-2003, 02:42 PM
There are too many differences between an automotive and a marine block to mention. All the internal stuff like cams, freeze plugs etc. are all different. Automotive blocks also don't have block drain plugs, so you can't winterize it. Contact www.indmar.com for additional help. Thanks, Jay Warren

Pman
04-20-2003, 08:23 PM
I have a subscription to HOT BOAT Magazine and there are a few manufacturers advertising new and re-built motors. Good Luck.