PDA

View Full Version : I am probably in the minority here

c.rix
09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I know that every almost every wake boat manufacturer is going to that big gaudy pickle fork bow design, but I am going to say it here and be the first that would like the opposite. I would actually like to see boats go to a minimal bow area still have some type of bow seating but minimal and move the windshields as far forward as possible to maximize the cockpit seating instead of bow seating.

I know that when were out on the lake almost no one wants to sit up there in my boat and if they do ride up there its only for a short time. From the front its hard to see the action and also hinders the drivers ability to see tubers and jetskiers that are not paying attention, so why continue to waste space there and make it harder to see... ? don't get me wrong I don't hate the look of the "pickle fork" I actually like, but it its the wasted space that makes me dislike the design. To me and my crew it would be a waste if I had a pickle boat.

Think about it you could move the windshield forward 2' potentially have a 20' boat with the cockpit size of today's current 22' foot boats or maybe even bigger in a v drive configuration making a relatively small boat feel much much bigger... dang how big would a 242 feel inside then probably like a 26' :D also how many of these wakeboarding boats like to be front loaded for wakeboarding moving the helm, windshield, driver, etc would only help with this also

Sorry for the mini rant just thoughts going through my head lately since moomba malibu mastercraft axis tige mb all will offer a pickle next year

Mobius22
09-01-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that windshield was moved foward on the 242 to do just that. It doesn't have a very large bow

yager97
09-01-2011, 06:00 PM
agreed, the party is in the cabin of the boat. who wants to segregate themselves from the party by sittin in the front by themselves? the front needs to fit a flyhigh bow triangle sac, that is it.

c.rix
09-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I have yet to see one in person, but looking at the pics IMO there is still room for forward thinking :D

c.rix
09-01-2011, 06:10 PM
agreed, the party is in the cabin of the boat. who wants to segregate themselves from the party by sittin in the front by themselves? the front needs to fit a flyhigh bow triangle sac, that is it.

If that !!! If you did a pickle a guy could get or wakemakers could manufacture a square bag for up there maybe say 60" wide x 36" long x 12" tall to fill the space would be about 900 lbs filled that would be a easy sack for them to make too!!!

I still like the idea of being able to access the bow for docking loading unloading etc but would absolutely love to see a mini bow or stubby bow of some sort

mmandley
09-01-2011, 06:35 PM
C.Rix im with you brother. I like sitting up in the nose when we are party coveing or if i just want to relax in the sun with a brew but other then that we keep gear up there most of the time. Only when we get a lot of people on the boat do the girls and 1 guy go up there. Then i have to drain some of my nose ballast to make up for it lol. I still love my bow and wouldnt have a boat with out it but id love to see the cabin expanded into the bow, to a point though. Too much and the nose will look very unproportionent.

c.rix
09-01-2011, 06:43 PM
C.Rix im with you brother. I like sitting up in the nose when we are party coveing or if i just want to relax in the sun with a brew but other then that we keep gear up there most of the time. Only when we get a lot of people on the boat do the girls and 1 guy go up there. Then i have to drain some of my nose ballast to make up for it lol. I still love my bow and wouldnt have a boat with out it but id love to see the cabin expanded into the bow, to a point though. Too much and the nose will look very unproportionent.

That could be the new look!!!

wolfeman131
09-01-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that windshield was moved foward on the 242 to do just that. It doesn't have a very large bow

You, Sir, are correct. Also, check out the NGOBV as the same was done with that design. While I like the thinking, the wife & kiddos love to ride up there and I love corralling them up there when I want/need to have space in the cockpit. I also think the market demands it. There is a reason you can't find closed bow boats any longer.

mnpracing
09-01-2011, 07:31 PM
The new Enzo's have a small bow area, moved hte windshield up 18" or so.

c.rix
09-01-2011, 07:48 PM
You, Sir, are correct. Also, check out the NGOBV as the same was done with that design. While I like the thinking, the wife & kiddos love to ride up there and I love corralling them up there when I want/need to have space in the cockpit. I also think the market demands it. There is a reason you can't find closed bow boats any longer.

In comparison the local dealer I go to had a nautique sport 200 I was surprised to see how small that bow was I liked that a lot!!!
I the bow on the OBV sitting side by side was actually a bit bigger and lacked in the cockpit too I think that the nautique would be as close to what I am thinking that there is out there but still could go forward

really I might have to check out their website not that i would ever buy or afford one

c.rix
09-01-2011, 07:58 PM

I just checked it out and It says right on their site they moved the helm over 12"s forward !!!!

Nice its a start !!!

Maybe its a movement in the making like when the first pickles came out give it a few years and the boat co's may be boasting about all new design with most in wake cockpit seating

drew I know that closed bows are a dying breed I am thinking along the line of big enough for kids or maybe 1-2 adults where as of right now it seems that all the pickle companies are making seating for 6-7 adults

c.rix
09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
If I had the cash this is the boat that would be in my garage right now !!!!

http://www.nautique.com/models/sport-nautique-200/

wolfeman131
09-01-2011, 08:15 PM
drew I know that closed bows are a dying breed I am thinking along the line of big enough for kids or maybe 1-2 adults where as of right now it seems that all the pickle companies are making seating for 6-7 adults

Yeah, gotcha on that with the pickle forks and I agree with your thinking. Kinda like when all the car companies went to the new designs with stretching the wheelbases, etc. I think they called it "cab forward" or something along thos lines.

jmvotto
09-01-2011, 08:16 PM
didnt malibu go with that cab forward design a few years ago?

c.rix
09-01-2011, 08:17 PM
yes sir!!!

Kinda wish that I was good at photoshop to play with ideas

wolfeman131
09-01-2011, 08:20 PM
didnt malibu go with that cab forward design a few years ago?

Maybe, but the neighbor's 247 still has enough room up there for a freaking hot tub and tequila bar!

Mikey
09-01-2011, 09:56 PM
I have to agree with C.rix i really like the new Nuatique and if i was ever to go to a Vdrive this would be high on my list. Price not so much but there are lots of other boats in that kinda money as well. I've heard nothing but good things about this boat and it SKI awesome.

Ian Brantford
09-01-2011, 11:47 PM
If my XLV's bow seating were much smaller, it would not be enough to accommodate people's legs, which is important because it's flat playpen seating. It's a very popular seating area when the weather is warm enough.

I like to have a couple of adults up there to even out the weight, making a better wake. I am presently planning a bow ballast installation to correct the balance when no one is up there.

rdlangston13
09-02-2011, 12:14 AM
I think my LSV has the perfect size bow length wise, width wise it could benefit from a pickle for type set up tho but we usually don't have any one sit up there unless we need them too.

zabooda
09-02-2011, 01:32 AM
There was a time when all runabouts had their cockpits forward.

08LSV
09-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Maybe, but the neighbor's 247 still has enough room up there for a freaking hot tub and tequila bar!

Yeah and the cabin is big enough to fit the dance floor, karaoke bar, mechanical bull and probably the valet parking.... That thing is huge on the inside of the cabin with everything moved forward! After we test drove one I got back into my LSV with six people in it and was like "why is everyone sitting so close to me"... lol!

BensonWdby
09-02-2011, 08:31 AM
If I had the cash this is the boat that would be in my garage right now !!!!

http://www.nautique.com/models/sport-nautique-200/

If I were interested in a V drive - I think I agree. I would love to try a 200 DD.

you da man
09-02-2011, 10:36 AM
My next boat will be a Malibu 247 because of its cabin space. I rarely have more than 4 in my boat and 90% of the time it's just the 2 of us. I recently went from an XLV to a picklefork boat. I love the bow seating and the few Moomba owners I've had in my boat also have commented on how they loved the bow area. As I'm getting older and knees aren't as good as they used to be I see myself going towards a better surf wake then wakeboard wake. With that said, I'll be looking into the Malibu 247, Tige Z3, or Sanger V237...all of which are traditional bow boats.

yearround
09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
the bow space gets used differently at various times. when cruising, it is the place to be. when riding, it does not get used as much.

kaneboats
09-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Mechanical bull? Now there's an idea with potential. Need a big screen TV and those huge troughs full of beer and ice with the gals in chaps selling bottles out of 'em too. That's one big center area.

gus 08 mobius lsv
09-10-2011, 10:18 PM
greatest use of the bow is for the b.b.w. driver is already looking that way so you can't get in trouble and seems like the bumps are harder in the bow

walb0244
09-10-2011, 11:29 PM
the bow space gets used differently at various times. when cruising, it is the place to be. when riding, it does not get used as much.

In that picture I think you have more people in the bow then I normally have in my boat. Hahahaha.

rdlangston13
09-11-2011, 12:02 AM
No one ever sits in the bow of my boat. In fact I think I'll start keeping the windshield closed

cab13367
09-11-2011, 11:13 AM
My next boat will be a Malibu 247 because of its cabin space. I rarely have more than 4 in my boat and 90% of the time it's just the 2 of us.

Umm, yeah, that makes a lot of sense!

Thinking about yet another boat already? Has your fabulous new Axis lost it's novelty already? Or are you getting tired of removing the swim platform to surf??

you da man
09-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Umm, yeah, that makes a lot of sense!

Thinking about yet another boat already? Has your fabulous new Axis lost it's novelty already? Or are you getting tired of removing the swim platform to surf??

If I can or want boats every year or two what's wrong with that...it's my money right? I'm not tired of the Axis by any means yet. We surf with the platform on almost all the time anyways. We only have taken the platform off 4-5 times just for giggles to add an extra 800lbs to the rear and surf side. The wake is awesome like that. Even with the platform on the surf wake is good enough for my lady friend to actually jump off the top of the wake with fins out (barely but its legit). However, I've already ordered the 2012 Axis platform that is shaped better and the bottom is filled to not cut the wake. (Axis recognized the issue and I guess realized how many people were actually surfing the Axis).