PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Bolt

rdlangston13
09-01-2011, 03:06 PM
One of the bolts/screws that hold the swim platform bracket on the transom broke off. I just found it yesterday, you can look in the hole and see half of the bolt that is still in there but the head is gone. Any ideas on how to get the rest out and install a new one?

cab13367
09-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear that. An easy out will take care of that:

http://www.amazon.com/piece-Easy-Screw-Bolt-Extractor/dp/B0002UJNWE

08LSV
09-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Easy out's are great! One other way I have done it if there is enough screw still sticking out (you might have to take of the bracket) is to use a dremel or file to make a slit in the shaft so you can take it out with a flat head screwdriver. The easy outs are usually faster if you have one on hand. I have used them several times to remove broken header bolts on cars.

mnpracing
09-01-2011, 05:27 PM
One of the bolts/screws that hold the swim platform bracket on the transom broke off. I just found it yesterday, you can look in the hole and see half of the bolt that is still in there but the head is gone. Any ideas on how to get the rest out and install a new one?

which bolt was it? Since it sounds like you need the EZ out, I'm assuming it's one of the bottom bolts/screws? If so you'll be able to confirm a nagging question: Is there a captured nut that the bolt screws into that is glass'd in the hull, or is it a nyloc like the top bolts (if it is like the top bolts, then how do you get it out, or a new one installed since you can't access it from inside the hull)? Please keep us updated.

rdlangston13
09-01-2011, 11:32 PM
which bolt was it? Since it sounds like you need the EZ out, I'm assuming it's one of the bottom bolts/screws? If so you'll be able to confirm a nagging question: Is there a captured nut that the bolt screws into that is glass'd in the hull, or is it a nyloc like the top bolts (if it is like the top bolts, then how do you get it out, or a new one installed since you can't access it from inside the hull)? Please keep us updated.

You bring up a very good question and one that I was actuall wondering about. It is the bottom inside bolt on the right side of the boat. I'm not too worried about it right now, just won't be setting up my goofy side surf wave until it's fixed. The rest of the bolt is about 3/4" in there so I guess an easy out will have to work

08LSV
09-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Please let us know. That question has been asked by just about everybody on this forum and no one ever gets a real answer, just a lot of speculation. Even the dealer I asked did not know. We are all afraid to take the bottom bolts out to see just in case its not and we have to cut our floors out to get to the back side..

mnpracing
09-02-2011, 09:12 AM
You bring up a very good question and one that I was actuall wondering about. It is the bottom inside bolt on the right side of the boat. I'm not too worried about it right now, just won't be setting up my goofy side surf wave until it's fixed. The rest of the bolt is about 3/4" in there so I guess an easy out will have to work

I hope for your sake, and ours, that it's a nut that is very sturdily (is that a word?) glass'd into the hull. Thanks for posting this issue and please keep us posted.

rdlangston13
09-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm guessing it is glassed into the hull since the rest of the bolt is still stuck in there. I figured if it was just a bolt with a nut then the remainder of the bolt with the nut attached would fall back inside the boat and the boat would starting taking on water. Since I do not think I am taking on water and the bolt is still in there then the nut must be glassed?

rdlangston13
09-08-2011, 06:25 PM
I just got off the phone with my dealer and he said that the bottom two bolts are actually screws that are screwed straight into the fiber glass. No nut at all on the other side. He said I'm in no danger of it leaking, just of the platform falling off if I continue to surf with the broken screw. He quoted me at 450 bucks to fix it, that's pulling carpet, cutting access hole into the floor, removing the foam, getting old screws out, and installing new bolts with washers and nuts that are stronger than the original screws.

mnpracing
09-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I just got off the phone with my dealer and he said that the bottom two bolts are actually screws that are screwed straight into the fiber glass. No nut at all on the other side. He said I'm in no danger of it leaking, just of the platform falling off if I continue to surf with the broken screw. He quoted me at 450 bucks to fix it, that's pulling carpet, cutting access hole into the floor, removing the foam, getting old screws out, and installing new bolts with washers and nuts that are stronger than the original screws.

Yikes, thanks for the update. I do NOT like that design...

rdlangston13
09-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Yikes, thanks for the update. I do NOT like that design...

my guess is they do it like this because the platform is installed after the most of the boat is together and thus that area is no accessable to put a nut and bolt. i kind of like it because if it were a nut and bolt then im sure i would be taking on water right now

BWeber
10-09-2013, 09:23 AM
I have just noticed that 2 of my lower screws broke on the right hand swim platform bracket. Seems to me this is either a design flaw or a manufacturing issue. I only have 40hrs on my 2012 Mojo after two season(yes, weak), I wouldnt expect this to fail so early.

Any chance this would be covered under warrenty?

I think I might just remove the remaining broken screw and epoxy a new one it. Anyone know the length of the original screw?

MJR63
10-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I ended up taking my lower screws out to check for water in the hull. Per the suggestion of Moomba tech support I put boat life life seal calking in the holes and on the screws. Stuff works great and no leaks. Epoxy is great but you put it on the threads the new screws you will not be able to take them off in the future. Unless you want to remove the entire bracket and epoxy all the holes.

smorris7
10-09-2013, 05:11 PM
This happened to me also on my 12 Mojo after only a few weeks of ownership. Had to be repaired at the dealership under warranty. This is obviously a defect. I believe they had to remove the baslast pumps in the port locker and cut an access hole in the floor to make the repair. They did not plug the pumps in all the way when they replaced everything and it took me forever to figure out why one of my pumps was cutting out....