PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Wiring Problem?

kcharles069
09-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Have encountered an interesting ballast problem last weekend, the starboard locker switch will not activate the fill or discharge pump. The other two switches still function normally both filling and emptying the bags. I replaced the switch with no success, and I know the sprinkler valve is firing, so I'm thinking I have a wiring problem but have to look into it further.

The starboard side does fire the solenoid valve when switched but the pump does not start and the discharge pump does not actuate either.

Any clues for me here.

2003 Mobius LSV

08LSV
09-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Check your fuses and breaker panel under the dash below the steering wheel. There should be some 3amp or 5amp fuses under there. May need to just reset a breaker. Does your ballast switch light up when you turn it to fill or empty?

zroutt
09-04-2011, 09:34 AM
KCharles, did you ever get this figured out? I just experience the same thing yesterday on the lake with my front ballast switch. Plugged solenoid into starboard wire and solenoid fires, but I get no pump action both fill or drain.

I can only see one fuse panel under my dash. It has eight fuses in it but didn't check them on the water. Will be digging in this am.

zroutt
09-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Found the blown fuse, replaced it and good to go.

kcharles069
09-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Okay, maybe I'm missing something here, but my 03 has a Bertha ballast system by the driver seat bottom right below the throttle lever. It has the 3 rockers on it and a breaker reset switch. The light does come on, it fires the solenoid the pumps just don't actuate. I took the panel out and the 3 switches are connected together via a circuit panel (see photos) This one panel has a breaker on it, and I've tried resetting the breaker to no avail. Is everyone saying there is another set of fuses/breakers that control the ballast somewhere else other than right behind the rockers on this panel? If so I'll have to go hunting. I assumed the panel and breaker in my photos was the only fuse / breaker I was looking for. Let me know if there are more breakers or fuses or something different here.

03 Mobius LSV -

jmvotto
09-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Yes there is a fuse panel up on the wall between the bow and the cockpit that should have 6 total fuses in a square probably 4" by 4 " panel. i would show you a pic but my ballast upgrade pics are stil not showing.

zroutt
09-06-2011, 09:29 AM
jmvotto is correct. You may have more or less fuses on the panel. For example, my panel has 8 fuses in it. My fuse that trips is a ATC-5 and is the first one on top row closest to steering wheel. It popped on me again yesterday on the water. Now I carry extras just in case. But I learned that one of my ACC switches right next to the ACC switch for the stereo, if turned on will pop the same fuse as the front ballast switch. Something is shorted under there and I will be trying to figure that out this week.

08LSV
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Here is a pick of my '08 lsv fuse block for GIII and breaker panel for the boat. I am pretty sure yours will look the same or similar. The fuses on the right side are marked "pumps out" and the ones on the left are marked "solenoids". So your solenoids could be firing fine but the pump out fuse could be blown. Just about the only way I can see and access my ballast fuses are to lay on my back under the helm and look up.

Jmv is this what yours looks like?

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11973&d=1315333512

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11974&d=1315333515

zroutt
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
It would be nice to have a circuit breaker panel as easily identified as that. But our circuit breakers at least on my '03 and I suspect kcharles' as well are right on the panels. As you can see in his first pic, the logo "Bertha Ballast" has the circuit breaker right in the middle of it. And same thing for mine as well as I have one above all my rocker switches on my dash. The fuse box though is not the same either at least on mine. I can't make out any lettering or designation of what each fuse is. I have a request to my local Moomba dealer (300miles away) to get a wiring diagram of my boat. We'll see what they come up with.

08LSV
09-06-2011, 03:02 PM
As you can see in his first pic, the logo "Bertha Ballast" has the circuit breaker right in the middle of it.

Yeah we have a breaker right on the GIII switch panel as well. I have never had to use it but I am glad its there if I need it.

jmvotto
09-06-2011, 03:35 PM
08lsv, i have the first pic is exact, but the circut breakers from the 07 to 08 went from the buttons below the switch to the panel like your second pic.

Thanks for posting.

zroutt, i would just pull and inspect each fuse in the panel by tracing the wires from the switches. FYI i got my wiring diagram by e-mailing sc [email protected]

08LSV
09-06-2011, 07:43 PM
zroutt, i would just pull and inspect each fuse in the panel by tracing the wires from the switches.

That was going to be my next suggestion... Just pull em all one at a time and see if you find a blown one...

zroutt
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I have identified the fuse that trips, I have no issue with that. My problem is when an accessory switch gets turned on while the front ballast is in fill or empty position, then the fuse trips. I will work on following the line from this accessory switch and see what we come up with. That is why I am looking for a wiring diagram. I have no idea what this switch does as it doesn't seem to turn anything on other than the light on the switch.

08LSV
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Try to email the address jmv listed about three posts up for the wiring diagram. Maybe they are wired on the same lead... The fuse for the pump is only like 3amps usually, I think so as soon as you add the ACC current draw it may overload the fuse... Just a thought, try using a 5amp fuse in its place and see if they can both run at the same time. Just throwing that out there. It sounds like an odd problem, but they may have just accidentally wired it to the same lead. Hope they can help you get the diagram.

zroutt
09-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks 08LSV. I did already email that address above requesting wiring diagram.

Also I the fuse that is blowing is a 5amp :(. Experience tells me not to go up in fuse as it will lead to something else blowing or burning out. Daughter had dance lessons tonight so that took up my evening. Tomorrow after work I am free and will get comfortable under the dash with some tools and play follow that wire.

jmvotto
09-07-2011, 08:40 AM
zroutt,

send me your e-mail and i will send the 2005 to 2008 wiring scheme for the giii, it may help you help you outif you don't get the schematics from sc , but they are using pretty quick.

kcharles069
09-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Well, I'll start digging around under the helm. I never thought there could be more fuses for the system, good to know. I'll let you know what I find.

zroutt
09-07-2011, 09:19 AM
zroutt,

send me your e-mail and i will send the 2005 to 2008 wiring scheme for the giii, it may help you help you outif you don't get the schematics from sc , but they are using pretty quick.

PM sent ;)

kcharles069
09-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Finally resolved, blown fuse under dash as you guys pointed out. Replaced the fuse blew again when I hit the empty on my right rear ballast. Fill worked fine. Swapped drain pumps to left side and left side fuse blew. I have an order in to replace my drain pump!
Finally, so happy I tracked it down and was able to resolve this before spending who knows how much at the dealership ($100/hr) to correct the issue. My time is so much cheaper, price of a 12 pack roughly.

kcharles069
09-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Finally resolved, blown fuse under dash as you guys pointed out. Replaced the fuse blew again when I hit the empty on my right rear ballast. Fill worked fine. Swapped drain pumps to left side and left side fuse blew. I have an order in to replace my drain pump!
Finally, so happy I tracked it down and was able to resolve this before spending who knows how much at the dealership ($100/hr) to correct the issue. My time is so much cheaper, price of a 12 pack roughly.

jmvotto
09-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Glad it worked out. I work for cheap as well.:)