PDA

View Full Version : snap in carpet

gus 08 mobius lsv
08-30-2011, 11:26 PM
i know there are a lot of diy ers so my question is has anyone thought of or went thru with replacing your carpet with the snap in carpet. not sure if it'd be too costly or even possible for someone to get snaps molded or screwed into the flooring then get carpet cut to size to fit in. what is the reason for not making all boats with snap in carpet?

squeeg333
08-31-2011, 11:37 AM
I think that would probably be a pretty straight forward project. Newty replaced his carpet with longer pile stuff and it didn't seem all that bad, just time consuming to make sure it looked right. I think the biggest problem with putting snap in carpet in our boats would be the end result once the existing carpet was pulled up. From Newty's pictures once his was out, it's not by any means a clean surface. Glue, carpet remnants, and other crap would be stuck pretty good, if not permanantly to the floor. So, I suppose it could be done, but cleaning the floor once the snap in carpet was taken out could be a challenge. You could probably just use the screw in snaps though, I don't imagine that would be a problem...

gus 08 mobius lsv
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
yeah i get what your saying about the glue and other junk. i'd tolerate the ugly floor under the carpet cause nobody should see that anyhow. either way i'm gonna need to replace the carpet in the my boat within the next year 3 summers and my carpet looks like shit! i'm not looking forward to doing it myself because the carpet goes under all the seats ...so what gives there?

just thought either way i got a big project going on so might as well do it the way i want now and be easier for the next carpet repair jobs in the future!

newty
08-31-2011, 12:44 PM
The floor in the LSV would not look finished with snap-in carpet. Once you take the carpet out there is huge gaps between the panels. There are exposed screw heads and the actual decking of the boat is really un attractive and uneven in many spots. The carpet hides a host of problems I found as I went. Really the only way I would have done it is if I had the floor locker and fuel tank access panels made larger to fill the gapsthat were left to fit the carpet. Then coat the floor with some sort of liner to cover up the seams/gaps and otherwise unfinished areas. Then have the carpet made, which is not cheap in an of itself.

Trust me I've gone over it a hundred times, but its just not worth the time and money involved in tackling a project like this.

Either re-carpet or buy a snap-in to cover the existing carpet.

cab13367
08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
what is the reason for not making all boats with snap in carpet?

In a word, cost.

Razzman
08-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Not to mention the cost of the carpet alone which would have to be precision cut and bordered, probably would be 4x the cost of just replacing your carpet like Newty did. I bought a lay in carpet from a previous member when he sold his boat, it's made from berber by Matworks (http://www.matworks.com/marine.htm) and he claimed it was $400 for it. Add the cost of finishing the floor somehow and hardware and it's a pretty expensive proposition.

Now IF I was to tackle a snapin carpet I would look at having the entire bare floor done in something like Rhino Linings Rhino ColorMatch (http://www.rhinovehicleprotection.com/en/products/7/Color-Match) and apply the snapin carpet over that. It would give the floor a more finished look, hide a lot of imperfections and allow for it to be cleaned easily.

Personally though I think it's way more work than it's worth.

viking
08-31-2011, 05:40 PM
SC should have an option for a finished glass interior floor. Then a person could get a Seadek pattern kit and have them cut whatever shapes/sizes you want and finish it with that!!

08LSV
08-31-2011, 09:04 PM
From what can tell the new "MOJO" has a finished floor and snap in carpet... Not that I would buy it unless they changed the name but....

JPAGE
09-02-2011, 11:12 AM
SC should have an option for a finished glass interior floor.

YES YES YES!!!! I thought my wife and I were the only ones! The Sea Ray i had before the Moomba had a finished floor with non skid. One we got home got out the bucket and washed the inside and scrubbed floor and voilą! done let it dry out. When we were ordering our LSV i asked if they offered that or could do it.. answer was no..

jbgp1200
09-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Ive thought about having a snap in piece made and was thinking of maybe just installing it over the old carpet. Almost like a floor mat in a car that snaps in over the factory carpet.

Razzman
09-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Ive thought about having a snap in piece made and was thinking of maybe just installing it over the old carpet. Almost like a floor mat in a car that snaps in over the factory carpet.

See post #6, they do that.

spyder
07-18-2012, 11:56 AM
sorry to bump an insanely old topic.. but has anyone removed the carpet from an LSV and attempted anyway to finish the floor before adding carpet.. they must be a way to make it look presented able under some snap-in.

ga-lsv05
07-18-2012, 12:25 PM
My 05 came with snap in carpet. Would assume you could order the finished floor from sc?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

New Guy
07-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I believe that 06 and newer don't have a full fiberglass floor like the 02-05's