PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Bilge Drain PLug

squeeg333
08-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Have any of you guys noticed your bilge drain plug leaking? Mine, like probably everyone's, has the oring on the plug. I crank it down pretty tight, and this year the last several times out I've noticed there is water leaking in from it. I can't tell if the leak is between the thread of the plug and the housing, or if it's leaking between the housing and the hull. My guess is the later is more the case. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to pull it out and re-install with new sealant. I tried to drive it out using a brass rod used as a drift, but got nothing. I know it's in there snug, and the sealant that is there is also holding tight, but I'd love to get this leak fixed.

I did look at the existing o-ring, and it looks brand new - no cracks or any wear noticable. I replaced it with a little bit thicker o-ring, and next time out I will see if that makes any difference, but I won't be making it out for several more weeks. Waiting for my newborn son to get a bit older.

But, I am curious if any of you guys have found this issue, or know of a good way to remove it??

11 Outback V
08-30-2011, 08:58 PM
I would bet that it is the o ring, especially if you are having that much troublegetting the base out. The o ring plugs dont need to be cranked down pretty tight. they only need to be just past "snug" hence the o ring.
I bet you will be fine the next time out w the new o ring