PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Surfing Starts

Ed G
08-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Swim Platform Surfing Starts

I was always a proponent against this, but now I'm considering trying it.

Can this be done safely? How do you go about doing it??

Physical therapist told me today it will be at least 8 weeks before I can even open a screen door with my left hand...I highly doubt I can get up on a board with just one hand.

I wanna surf, for now I need an alternative method of starting

dusty2221
08-30-2011, 06:18 PM
I dont see why you cant get up with one arm, its very simple.

And honestly, ive done a few platform starts, I would say you are more at risk that way especially trying to learn while hurt. I've had a few silly falls doing them...

squeeg333
08-30-2011, 06:18 PM
It's actually really easy. Just put the tip of the board (maybe 6 inches of it or so) on the edge of the platform on the side you will be surfing on. Put your front foot on this portion of the board, and your back foot in a comfortable spot, leaving the majority of your weight on your front foot. Get up to speed with the boat, and then lean back slowly. If done right, you will ease your way back into the pocket and then just surf. The opposite can be done to end a surf session.

We do this when the water is cold in early and late season. You can surf without even getting wet! It's awesome!!

Canuckle Head
08-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi Ed,

I can do these and they take a bit of practice but once you get it down it's a lot of fun and impresses your guests! Just get the boat up to speed and while standing on the swimgrid, place the board so that the tail is in the water on thesurf side and the nose of the board is on the deck. Put forward facing foot on board first and with your hands holding on to the grab rail on the back transom place your back foot on to the board.

The tricky part is now that you have to start weighting the back foot and let go of the grab rail. Eventually you'll feel a lifting sensation and start to go out the back and up into the wave. You then will have to adjust your weight back on to the front foot so you don't go out the back of the wave.

Takes a bit of practice but hey weren't you saying that surfing was getting boring a while back?

Ed G
08-30-2011, 07:02 PM
"but hey weren't you saying that surfing was getting boring a while back"

yeppers...I absolutely did say that!

But that's when I could surf.

I haven't been able to do it for about 6 weeks now.

KSmith
08-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Use just a knotted rope, the ones without handles. It isn't really hard to launch off the swim platform but I did it once with the kind of rope that has a small handle, lost my grip and as I went backwards rope pulling through my hand I eventually ran out of rope and the handle smashed my finger up pretty good... I haven't actually launched off the swim platform since...

mmandley
08-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Just remember that in most stats this is still very illegal as you are not allowed to be on the swim deck while the boat is moving. I have seen this done several times and its as stated above. I have even done this a couple times but it was more because i surfed up onto the platform then had to back off it.

Just be carefull because you are at a lot higher risk of invury due to falling forward on the boat, driver panics and hits the trottle to slow down throwing your forward, falling and hitting the swim deck and lastly falling backwards and the board hitting you.

Ed G
08-31-2011, 05:28 AM
"Use just a knotted rope, the ones without handles."

Well darn. I had one of those ropes once.

I hated it so much for regular starts, it went out to the curb on trash day

sandm
08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
have heard that it can prematurely wear your swimdeck pad and scratch the bottom of the board.

I wouldn't use it imo..

Canuckle Head
08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
have heard that it can prematurely wear your swimdeck pad and scratch the bottom of the board.

I wouldn't use it imo..

Say wha? I have a Seadek pad and haven't had any issues..... Guess it depends what type of pad you have and whay type of board you use. I haven't noticed any blemishes on my Liquid Force Venture which is what I had been using. Not so sure about trying this on my new TWP though.

Ed G
08-31-2011, 03:34 PM
I do have a seadek, and doubt it would hurt an Inland Surfer board

Canuckle Head
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM
I do have a seadek, and doubt it would hurt an Inland Surfer board

Then you're golden pony boy! (Anyone remember the Outsiders?)

kaneboats
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
"Stay gold, Pony Boy!"

zipgorp
09-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I only learned to get up on a surf board this way, I love it, Balance holding rope tight with board at an angle kind of teeter tottering, tell driver to get up to 5-7 mph and board floats then lean back and slide rope out, once your off platform move to side, you dont want to be in the middle of the wake as boat accelerates, then as wave appears slide into pocket.

I have one kid that gets out of the water and one likes to go off the platform, if you do it right you shouldn't really be harming board or platform, you do have to watch if boat is going too fast your board will shoot forward into the back of the boat so by angling it out and leaning back and holding rope at right angle you create enough drag to get out of the way of the boat.

if you only have one arm it may be hard to feed the rope out with only one hand, but you maybe be able to hold with your bad arm and let it slide to your other. You will know if you can do that or not.

Canuckle Head
09-02-2011, 03:43 PM
I only learned to get up on a surf board this way, I love it, Balance holding rope tight with board at an angle kind of teeter tottering, tell driver to get up to 5-7 mph and board floats then lean back and slide rope out, once your off platform move to side, you dont want to be in the middle of the wake as boat accelerates, then as wave appears slide into pocket.

I have one kid that gets out of the water and one likes to go off the platform, if you do it right you shouldn't really be harming board or platform, you do have to watch if boat is going too fast your board will shoot forward into the back of the boat so by angling it out and leaning back and holding rope at right angle you create enough drag to get out of the way of the boat.

if you only have one arm it may be hard to feed the rope out with only one hand, but you maybe be able to hold with your bad arm and let it slide to your other. You will know if you can do that or not.

I was talking about not using a rope and basically coming off the platform and up into the wave. The boat is already up to speed and the wave is fully formed.

DOCDRS
09-02-2011, 03:47 PM
i do them all the time ......start and stops......that way I don't get my hair wet :)

wolfeman131
09-02-2011, 04:46 PM
just do it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zL4GWWa3I

Yeah, yeah I know, the guy doesn't have a jacket on. He's the same dude from the watersports documentary. I call his Mom so she can ground him.

Canuckle Head
09-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Gonna try that tonight! That looks like fun!

Ed G
09-04-2011, 04:08 PM
the whole time I was thinking about learning to slip off the platform, I completely forgot that I have an Inland Surfer tow rope with the mini hoop handle.

I probably could get out of the water one-handed with this thing.

I was thinking that there would be no way to one hand it with the T-handle rope

Ed G
09-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Just in case someone else finds themselves in this position...

Getting pulled out of the water with one hand, using a mini loop handle is totally do-able!!

Not difficult at all.

Very surprised and pleased to be able to surf again.

Verrrrrrrrrry interesting day. I had four proffesional ocean surfers out with me yesterday.

You should have seen these guys carve up the waves. Just amazing the stuff they can do on a board. I think these guys could have flown above a wave.

They got a kick out of my wife's Inland Surfer Green Loogie...they couldn't believe any one could surf a board "slightly bigger than a shoe" - as they called it :)

e

viking
09-18-2011, 01:22 PM
just do it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zL4GWWa3I

Yeah, yeah I know, the guy doesn't have a jacket on. He's the same dude from the watersports documentary. I call his Mom so she can ground him.

Nice Find Drew.
That's pretty cool!!

T100
09-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Just in case someone else finds themselves in this position...

Getting pulled out of the water with one hand, using a mini loop handle is totally do-able!!

Not difficult at all.

Very surprised and pleased to be able to surf again.

Verrrrrrrrrry interesting day. I had four proffesional ocean surfers out with me yesterday.

You should have seen these guys carve up the waves. Just amazing the stuff they can do on a board. I think these guys could have flown above a wave.

They got a kick out of my wife's Inland Surfer Green Loogie...they couldn't believe any one could surf a board "slightly bigger than a shoe" - as they called it :)

e

Pictures Ed, Pictures .......

Ed G
09-19-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm an ex-industrial photographer. Degreed with 25 years experience.

ya know - I haven't taken a photo just for fun in 25 years.

a camera is never on my mind when I go boating

T100
09-19-2011, 02:19 PM
OK, maybe video next time you go out, I'd love to see the pro's in action.
Cheers.

zabooda
09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Remember that certain activity from the platform while the boat is underway is illegal in some states. SC remembers it as they were required to send all Moomba owners in the state notice of the hazards along with more warning stickers. One sticker in particular is a $100 fine if it isn't attached.

From Wa. state:

The new law says the boat owner can be fined a maximum $100 for allowing someone to teak-surf, dive, bodysurf or hold onto the swim deck on the back of the boat.

Exceptions are allowed for someone briefly occupying the swim platform, deck, or swim ladder to help the boat depart or dock, or while entering or exiting the boat. The law doesn't apply when the boat is being used for law enforcement or emergency rescue.

Ed G
09-20-2011, 05:31 AM
I still have my badge and ID from when I worked for The Allegheny County Coroner's Office.

I can claim my boat is a cruiser on official business... looking for floaters.

I'm definetly off the 'platform start idea' now that I know I can get pulled up - and wouldn't recommend it to others.

Not saying I would chastise anyone who actually does it, just wouldn't recommend it.