PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lock?

Chief Hawkeye
04-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Just took possession of a 2003 Mobisu LSV today! I was wondering what type of trailer lock anyone is using, since the regular locks don't seem to fit the trailer hitch. Also, any hints on learning to back the boat into a smaller driveway? Our driveway is about 2" too narrow for the trailer, so I have to back it into the neighbor's yard a little......Hope she doesn't mind once she finds out :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Catdog1
04-30-2005, 02:17 AM
I bought a long masterlock, I think 3/8 diam.

I took a 2" ball and cut most of the shank off. Then, I put the ball in the trailer tongue, closed the device, and ran the lock through the hole for the pin.

I wrap the safety cables around the tongue to shorten them and slip the clip ends over the masterlock.

That way, the amateur opportunist can't easily drop the tongue onto his own hitch and drive off.

Adding a heavy, hardened chain through the wheel slots and wrapping around the chain and securing with a heavy lock is another level of security.

Not much can stop the pro thief. Have insurance.

mobiusLSV05
04-30-2005, 11:21 PM
I use a 4' long Master Lock cable through the rim, and around the trailer, then I insert a steel disk with a 2" head on it into the tongue, with a lock through the pin. Like someone else said --- GET INSURANCE!! Its cheap for what you have.

seanpatsdad
05-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Remington Shot Gun plus I use the long neck Master Lock.I built a Storage shed for mine also.
John

smokedog2
05-02-2005, 08:31 PM
SWAirlines,

The gun you have is better than the gun you have at home.

SD2

seanpatsdad
05-03-2005, 07:28 AM
SWairlines
I live out in the country so this is a normal means of security.I have never had any problems out here,mostly because I think the boat is out of sight in the storage shed that I built.My theory is no matter what lock you have ,if they want it bad enough they will get it.Any way,what do you do at LUV.
John.
[email protected]

sextons
05-03-2005, 08:13 AM
I generally pull the pin on the trailer tongue and keep it in the car, lock a masterlock ball locking device to the coupler and run a masterlock cable chain through the tires to a fence. I'm actually more worried about someone just crawling into the boat and just messing around than I am about someone stealing the trailer. Does anyone have an alarm on their boat? I walked too close to a boat in a parking lot once and one of those voice viper alarms told me to get back, that was pretty cool