PDA

View Full Version : XLV Bridge Clearance

Zemp-XLV
04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Quick question if someone can help me out. In December I bought a brand new 05 XLV all decked out. That is the good news. The bad news is we are in the process of buying to a new house that has a low bridge we would have to pass under to get from the boat ramp to our dock. Currently (high water season in Michigan) the clearance is 60".

Question: Can someone tell me the clearance the XLV has with the tower down? Also, anyone with the 3 bag ballast system, what is the clearance with full ballast loaded. I'm hoping to make this work because I know I'll have to give up the boat before my wife gives up the house! I'd hate to loose my dream boat!!

Thank you,

Zemp

Rugburn
04-29-2005, 03:40 PM
I just went out and measured the highest point of the folded down Radacage on my Mobius LSV an it was 76". I dont know if the XLV tower still folds forward like my 2002 or back over the boat. That 60" is low! In order to keep the boat AND the house you might want to buy a backhoe and dredge! I hope you find your answer.

Zemp-XLV
04-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to do that!

The 60" clearance is for a bridge over the water. So I need to know the clearance from the waterline to the highest point of the boat with the tower down. That's why I'm curious what this distance is with an XLV loaded with and without factory ballast. This should sink the boat down a little extra. I'm afraid I'll need every inch to make it work.

Thank you again!

Dane Zemper

Ian Brantford
05-05-2005, 12:59 PM
I assume that either you cannot get on the water yet to measure it yourself, or you (like me) haven't taken delivery yet. :-(

I have an XLV with 3-bag ballast on the way. Unfortunately, I do not have a delivery date yet. It is due this month. I'll make the measurement when I can get at it. Hopefully one of us will have a measurement before you have to commit to the cottage.

Ian

P.S. Congratulations on being able to buy a cottage. It's a nice accessory for a good boat.

Zemp-XLV
05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Ian,

Thank you. This will be the house we live in. Vacation everyday! I haven't taken delivery yet and don't want to put any hours on it if I need to resell it. More valuable that way. What a Catch 22 huh?

Thank you,

Dane Zemper

Ian Brantford
05-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Got it -- well, the empty weight at least. It was 62.5".

There was a minor problem with emptying the front fat sac, so I didn't want to fill it again at the dock to check the height with full ballast. After the problem was resolved, I ran short on time and didn't get to measure again with ballast. Sorry about that.

I can say that the front ballast really pulls the bow down though. For a while (while scooting around the lake in moderate chop), I had the front full and rear empty -- that really makes it plow the water! BTW, with that full-front/empty-rear ballast configuration, the hull is the perfect shape to bounce oncoming waves up into the air and onto the windshield (and your face, if you are using the seat bolster).

Since 60" is your high water mark, and you could likely sneak by with full ballast even at that level, I would still take that boat in your place. I hope that you do!

Best wishes,
Ian