PDA

View Full Version : Boatmate Single Axle Trailer "cartridge in torsion axle has failed"...

ian ashton
08-25-2011, 02:34 PM
That is the diagnosis I received from Boatmate - they are sending out a replacement part (under warranty :) ) I'm just curious what exactly the part is that they are sending me, and if its something I can replace easily on my own, or if I need to have a professional take care of it for me?

A+ to Boatmate by the way for standing behind their product!

ian ashton
08-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Here is a picture of the trailer, by the way;
http://tapatalk.com/mu/450eb55c-9635-d47b.jpg

mnpracing
08-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Are they sending a fender too? Is it just the shadow in the picture or is the fender mucked up too?

brain_rinse
08-25-2011, 03:04 PM
They will send you an entirely new axle. It's not a terribly complicated project but it's best to make it a 2 person job. Pull the wheels, remove trailing arms, drop the axle, install new axle, reinstall trailing arms, bleed brakes, put wheels back on.

ian ashton
08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Are they sending a fender too? Is it just the shadow in the picture or is the fender mucked up too?

That one was my fault, lol. Going to replace those at some point too.

mnpracing
08-25-2011, 03:30 PM
That one was my fault, lol. Going to replace those at some point too.

Doh! sorry about that....anyway, from your previous posts I gathered that you don't use your trailer a whole lot. Did Boatmate have any feedback on that? I know YDM had to replace both of his axles and he only had to travel a mile or so to the launch (although from the pics of his storage unit, he had to navigate a tight turn to back it in, which would cause premature wear on the axle internals).

ian ashton
08-25-2011, 03:57 PM
I use my trailer for long distance maybe3 or 4 times a year. Other than that I'll use it every few weeks to pull the boat out and clean it, driving less than 2 miles round trip. They didn't really indicate what would cause the issue, and I didn't ask.

Jerry from Boatmate sent me instructions on how to replace the axle, I didn't realize that they'd be sending me that whole huge thing. I will definitely have someone else do the work, lol.

So the next question, why do they use torsion axles? It seems like trusty old leaf springs would have much less to worry about, as I've read about the torsion axles failing quite a bit. I wonder how hard it would be to convert.

ian ashton
08-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Scratch that - if I did any sort of conversion it would definitely be air ride. Piiiiiimp/

ian ashton
09-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Got the replacement axle and had my dealer replace it for me. I'm not super pumped about the cost of the job - it took them 5 hours (when I dropped off they said "It will take a few hours"), at $95 / hour. Oh well, its fixed, which is the main thing.

phospher
09-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Got the replacement axle and had my dealer replace it for me. I'm not super pumped about the cost of the job - it took them 5 hours (when I dropped off they said "It will take a few hours"), at $95 / hour. Oh well, its fixed, which is the main thing.

5 hours? Pretty sure the consensus here was 2hrs...

FargoDawg
09-14-2011, 02:01 PM
waiting for mine to show up, not warranteed (not the original owner sounded like a BS bail) $451, I'll do the work as I dont know how to move the trailer out of my garage to do it elsewhere. I'll time it. hope the ML doesnt run too deep for my help and slow down the pace.

phospher
09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Considering that Boatmate knows damn well that this is an issue I don't see how they cannot warranty ALL of these trailers. What a typical corporate cop out. How would they know you were not the original owner if you didn't tell them? The more and more I read about these the more and more it seems inevitable.

RobertJ
09-14-2011, 04:34 PM
I am pretty sure the paperwork I have for my trailer has a statement/document that recommends contacting the NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, if you have a safety issue with your trailer. If you had had an issue you should contact them, maybe Boatmate has been doing this already everytime they are notified of a problem.

jmb
09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
I had to pay for mine and I am an original owner. Took me more than a couple of hours but I guess I am slow

viking
09-14-2011, 08:56 PM
you know - when this came up last year I contact Jerry at boatmate to see about my trailer. He indicated that if it was going to fail it probably would have already. But time and time again I read of another member's single axle failing. And there seems to be no certain years. This thread alone there is an 05 and 08. I'm thinking it's not a matter of "if", but "when"??

jmb
09-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Jerry said it wouldn't fail again, trust him. I hope he is right. I didn't really care for the job. Had to do it by myself. I did it 2 weeks before the tornado took my place out. Thank goodness I did it when I did. I had to get the boat out of there.

Mikey
09-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Too bad the fender is on the wrong side of the boat otherwise i'd take it off your hands LOL. Actually mine is Navy blue . Too bad about the axle,though. My tire blew and Fender mangeled but i see that the axle etc all seemed fine.Now i've gotta start the slow process of gathering parts so i can fix it all in Spring, Woulda been too late to get parts here before seasons end in a couple weeks without paying exorbitant shipping fees, Luckily i have friends that took pity on me and i'm going out likely this weekend.

zegm
09-15-2011, 10:42 AM
So the next question, why do they use torsion axles? It seems like trusty old leaf springs would have much less to worry about, as I've read about the torsion axles failing quite a bit. I wonder how hard it would be to convert.

Good question but let me enlighten you some here concerning trailers used in salt water. I have a 25ft long Proline fishing boat that is sitting on dual axles. After 3 years of use you cannot even recognize the leaf springs the corrosion is so BAD. So anyone who uses leafs in saltwater is used to replacing them every 3 to 4 years. However, there is a trick, if the leafs fail, it is called a block of wood, with this you can get home. You jack up the boat and trailer and place the block of wood between the axle and trailer, can't do this with the torsion axle.
The hot ticket here in Panama City is the torsion axles. Now if anyone wants to start a collection for me! :)

PS. I have a 2008 LS with a single axle boatmate trailer and so far...................we are good. But the boat sits in a lift in the back yard and I only use the trailer to pull it out in the winter(end of October) and put her back in the water in the spring (March).
PSS. Oh I forget I did have a leaf spring break in half on a MasterCraft years ago. Luckily I was 50ft from the house.

jmb
09-15-2011, 07:53 PM
My salt water days are over with. I did it with my last boat and after a new trailer, 2 manifolds, 2 risers and a head I done had enough. I will ride in someone elses if I am near salt water

04OUTBACK
09-16-2011, 06:43 PM
DANG YOU BOATMATE~!
I have my boat sold for delivery TUESDAY... I come home from travelling all week and my Cartridge Failed this week~!!! UGH! The boat is supposed to go to Louisiana and now it can't leave my garage! I am going to go postal on Boatmate!

RobertJ
09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Brad, I am sorry to hear about your issue. I strongly recommend contacting NHSTA.
I am pretty sure the paperwork I have for my trailer has a statement/document that recommends contacting the NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, if you have a safety issue with your trailer. If you had had an issue you should contact them, maybe Boatmate has been doing this already everytime they are notified of a problem.

04OUTBACK
09-17-2011, 09:23 AM
I am so mad I could Spit nails..
I have it sold for Tuesday and had plans of a new boat. I cant get it in to dealer until Wednesday.. IF i can even get it there... its in the garage and the tire is on the fender..
This is SO inconvenient..

04OUTBACK
09-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Ian, Anyone,
Do you have an email for Jerry @ boatmate?

thanks

rdlangston13
09-17-2011, 04:05 PM
that sucks big time, im waiting for the day i get to my storage and mines broke. any idea how much an axle costs?

04OUTBACK
09-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Well, I did get the old axle off today... thats a big start... since I couldnt move the boat with the tire resting on the fender/frame..

I did speak to the purchaser of the boat.. he is ok with delaying until this weekend.. hopefully, I can get the axle from boatmate ASAP>

jmvotto
09-18-2011, 08:19 AM
brad. That sucks. Glad you got it sold and glad the new buyer is cooperating, you making a road trip to la or meeting half way.

Ian with this being a part warranty, why woul they not warranty the labor through the dealer?

rdlangston13
09-18-2011, 12:42 PM
so is the new owner paying for the axle? i mean it is his boat at this point if he already paid

Stazi
09-18-2011, 07:40 PM
so is the new owner paying for the axle? i mean it is his boat at this point if he already paidIMHO that would be a BS move to pull a stunt like that and wash you hands of the deal, even before the guy took delivery. If someone pulled that shit with me, I'd go ape sh!t

04OUTBACK
09-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Of course I'm covering it.
The purchaser is out of state. Has mailed me a deposit. I am PRETTY Sure he would back out if I said it was his responsibility!
I am just hoping I can get the axle quick enough to hold the deal!

04OUTBACK
09-19-2011, 09:58 AM
I gotta speak up for Jerry @ Boatmate.. He got back to me real quick this am. Getting me an axle out quickly.. I may be painting it myself.. but otherwise, it would be next week... Very helpful guy.. apologetic for the issue.. Outside vendor makes the torsion cartridge.. problem fixed since 2008..
As I told him, problems happen... fixing the problem is where a company can really shine.. I was 5 months out of warranty AND not the original owner.. I get that.. no issue.. The price for the axle and shipping is pretty fair for what you get.. If it wasnt for shipping, it wouldnt be bad at all.. but I couldnt drive to TN for $120.. so!
I may be checking in with a couple of you who have done your own later this week..

jmb
09-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Glad you got a hold of Jerry. I had mine in a week. I thought that was pretty quick. Let us know how it goes!

ian ashton
09-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Fixed since 2008 doesn't seem right; mine is a 2008.

wolfeman131
09-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Brad,

Sorry to see the boat was sold and then the trailer issue. Hope you're back on the water soon!

04OUTBACK
09-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Drew,
I have 3 different 21V's picked out within 300-400 miles away.. That is my tent. plan.. but with all going on at home, I kinda wanna go all winter without one..
Plan on going with 21V regardless...

04OUTBACK
09-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Axle arrived by UPS this am... I came home at lunch.. prepped it and have primed it.. will be painting it later after the primer is dry.. a couple of coats of paint.. we'll be installing tomorrow!

Thanks again to Jerry @ Boatmate for getting it out so quickly!

ian ashton
09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Hope it goes smooth for ya!

kaneboats
09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Git 'er done!

jmb
09-23-2011, 06:42 PM
If I can do it, anybody can do it

04OUTBACK
09-24-2011, 12:54 PM
IT IS FINISHED... i am worn out.. started about 8:30 this am.. just finished.. getting the left side torsion arm back on was A BUGGAR..
One Tip for anyone who has to do this.. WEDGE the opening on the torsion arm.. Put a chisel in as far as you can.. When i put on the right side, i pushed the chisel in as far as I could BEFORE i started trying to put it on..
And as far as the ANGLE adjustment, If you Have an Iphone, there is an app IHANDY LEVEL that will show you degrees... thought that was a good use of an iphone!

jmvotto
09-24-2011, 01:39 PM
glad you got r done.

now on to the next stage....

jmb
09-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Excellent. I was wore out also. I thought getting back on was pretty hard. I hope I don't have to do it again.

FargoDawg
10-01-2011, 02:54 AM
2hours 17 minutes, 3 guys in my garage. replaced and taken for a neighborhood ride before putting into the garage for 6 months (thank you ND). wasn't as terrible as I thought..... all three of us were trying to figure when the hard part was coming. we did have some cool tools though

04OUTBACK
10-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Wow Fargo. Woulda loved to have your crew and tools!
Glad you got it done.

jmb
10-01-2011, 08:50 PM
I had your basic tools and no help but still managed. Just took a little longer

Team Smith Outback V
06-01-2020, 03:56 PM
Anybody have any tricks to getting trailing arms off of the axle? Have pulled off the caliper, fender and gotten the trailing arm bolt out but can't get that thing to move at all. Have hammered a pry-bar in, sprayed it with silicone and nothing...Any ideas would be much appreciated. Long time since this thread was active but my 07 apparently failed over the winter. I was able to get the axle free of charge from Dexter and Boatmate was a huge help with it all. Contemplated someone else doing it but couldn't drive it anywhere the way it was so thought I would give it a crack.

RatbagRacing
01-25-2022, 06:53 PM
Hey Team Smith Outback V -- i just discovered my fender resting on the tire, so it looks like i'm in for this job too. What did you figure out to get the trailing arm bolt off?
Thanks