PDA

View Full Version : Putting T Handle in LSV. How do I remove the floor?

weston579
08-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Just bought an 08 LSV and found out no T Handle. I test drove a 2010 with a center plug and didn't think about looking for one on the 08. So im going to add one to help it drain. The only hold up is the floor. How does the two metal plates come out? I have looked at most of the mods and cant find any screw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and photos are a huge plus.

cab13367
08-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Just bought an 08 LSV and found out no T Handle. I test drove a 2010 with a center plug and didn't think about looking for one on the 08. So im going to add one to help it drain. The only hold up is the floor. How does the two metal plates come out? I have looked at most of the mods and cant find any screw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and photos are a huge plus.

I'm assuming your 08 is the same as my 06. There are four screws holding each panel down. They are very close to the corners of each panel with the exception of the corner near the driver's seat. On miine, that screw is about 6" from the corner, along the starboard side of the panel. The phillips screw heads are hidden in the carpet so you have to look for them but they are there.

Let us know how you do this mod. I am sure there are many of us that would be curious to see it.

Al

moombadaze
08-23-2011, 07:25 PM
How do you plan to access the t handle ?

fyi, my 08-the forward floor panel only had 3 screws holding it down, there was none in the drivers corner.

brain_rinse
08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
fyi, my 08-the forward floor panel only had 3 screws holding it down, there was none in the drivers corner.
Same here. Glad you are doing this as it was top on my winter to-figure-out/to-do list! :)

weston579
08-23-2011, 08:12 PM
thanks for the help. i plan on cutting out the center of the rear panel to make a door with a hinge over the hole in the gas tank. The 2010 has the same gas tank so i know i have room just need to lay it out and cut the hole in the floor and a 3/4 hole in the hull after taking the gas tank out.

I found this 2 seconds after writing the post. not what im doing but helpful none the less
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787634

pic of the 2010 with the access door
http://www.carolinainboard.com/newboats/2010-moomba-lsv/

walb0244
08-23-2011, 08:39 PM
I'd be interested in seeing how this works for the two of you guys. I always seem to have water stuck in the hull of the boat. The plug on the back of the boat to me seems useless.

brain_rinse
08-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Here's a link to the style I was looking at: http://www.jmsonline.net/perko-garboard-drain-plug-34-pko-0266dp0plb.htm

08LSV
08-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Here's a link to the style I was looking at: http://www.jmsonline.net/perko-garboard-drain-plug-34-pko-0266dp0plb.htm

Dan that is the same plug I have been eying on JMS. It would be great if you guys could do a "how to" when you figure it out. I have wanted to do this ever since I bought mine. Thought it was weird that my friends boats all had them and not mine. I wonder if a 2010 floor panel with the hole already made would fit my '08. Anybody know what the cost is to replace a floor panel?

brain_rinse
08-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Will do on the how-to. I'm just planning to add a deck plate rather than mess with the hinged panel.

cab13367
08-24-2011, 07:00 PM
For reference, here are a couple pics I took of at the boat show this year. It's interesting that they just put a round, black deck plate for the fuel pump access hole but went through the trouble of putting a carpeted, removeable square panel (it's not hinged, BTW) for the drain plug. For uniformity, why not make them both the same??

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/4a741f58.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/a7720e9b.jpg

lsvboombox
08-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Here is a pic underneath

http://tapatalk.com/mu/462c1796-8708-aea9.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

walb0244
08-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Does the newer boats have a different fuel tank in them then previous years? Didn't know if this was something I could do to my 2006 or not. I was thinking the hole in the center of my tank wasn't as big as what is being shown in the pictures above. Another thing is does anyone know if there is away for someone to move the fuel pump to in tank like the pictures above show so that wouldn't have to deal with vapor lock. I konw the pump getting hot can't be good on the pump. Or atleast I know on cars it isn't.

08LSV
08-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Does the newer boats have a different fuel tank in them then previous years?

Yeah it looks like the newer boats with the t-handle installed have a different tank setup. Here is a picture of the gas tank from Newty's 2008 LSV that he posted on wakeworld showing his DIY carpet replacement. My 2008 LSV gas tank is the same. I am guessing the 2006 would be similar to the '08. Easy enough to pull up your floor panels and check. There is a hole towards the front that appears to be big enough put a drain with a "T" handle in. I am going to be working on my boat tomorrow so I will try to take the measurements and see if the hull has a flat spot in the bottom of that hole.

The thread from Newty - http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787634

weston579
08-26-2011, 11:01 PM
if you can get some numbers that would be a great help for someone with a newer boat to compare the layout. I was going to look at the above pic with the hole between the track fins,however im not sure that will work in my 08 due to the layout of the fuel tank. i was thinking as far forward as i could get it in the transmission opening if the gas tank wouldnt work.either way there going to be a t handle in the boat asap,i will not have water in my boat with a cover over it causing it to have a sour smell.

and by the way im open to any ideas

08LSV
08-29-2011, 07:35 PM
So I have good news and bad news about adding a "T" handle drain. There is a flat spot on the bottom of the hull in the '08 lsv but it is not accesable from the top through the tank. The only thing I could figure out would be to add a drain that you accessed from the underneath the boat. There would be limited drag on the plug as it is located between the tracking fins which would help to divert water around it. The tank is raised about 1" from the bottom of the hull so you would have to be careful when drilling through not to hit your gas tank. This is probably the way I will go, while not convenient it at least allows me to drain the water when i want to without removing the floor and vacuuming it out.

Here is a pic of the gas tank on my '08 LSV. Notice the hole towards the bow in the tank.

The good thing is that the hole is large enough to fit a "T" handle and your hand in to drain the water as this seems to be the lowest accessible point of the hull.

The bad news is that there is also a flat spot on the bottom of the hull, but it does not line up with the hole in the gas tank. It is smack dab in the center of the gas tank were no hole is available.

The spot on the bottom of the hull that lines up with the hole in the gas tank is just to the front of the first tracking fin. The problem here is that this is also the place were the hulls deep "V" shape begins. Not sure if you could put it off to one side of the center line or how it would affect the structural integrity of that part of the hull.

weston579
08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
priceless info. how close is the second hole to being over the flat spot? could i mod the tank? i know nothing about polymer work. I hate to try to find a newer tank when mine works

walb0244
08-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah what about the hole in the center of the tank? I know that the hoses go there but could possibly put something there to keep the hoses to the side of the hole to reach the T-handle.

08LSV
08-30-2011, 12:42 AM
how close is the second hole to being over the flat spot? could i mod the tank?

Not even close from what I could tell, the flat spot is in the middle of the tank between the two holes from the measurements I took... Your on your own with the tank mod, that is one bear I wouldn't poke with a stick if you paid me...

Yeah what about the hole in the center of the tank? I know that the hoses go there but could possibly put something there to keep the hoses to the side of the hole to reach the T-handle.

The problem with the other hole is that from what I remember it is directly over one of the tracking fins.... I am heading back over to do some ballast work on it tomorrow so I can spend some more time than I had the other day to double check my measurements.

I picked up a 2" brass drain from west marine earlier just to see if it will fit the flat spot under the hull. May not be convenient but at least it will be there if I need it. Anybody have any other ideas before I start drilling?

cpatten
09-01-2011, 02:16 PM
What about putting that T-Handle next to the bilge pump. I am shooting from the hip on this one! Not ideal placement but definitely help to have another drain.

weston579
09-01-2011, 09:30 PM
After speaking to skiers choice about a newer tank install that wouldn't work due to the fuel pump being inside the tank, decided to put a hole in the flat spot between the front 2 track fins. Im going to just remove the plug from the bottom and cut the head off the T handle to make a recessed access. The plugs are brass, so its easy to do whatever you want with it.

The bilge is over the rear v in the hull.

08LSV
09-02-2011, 02:22 AM
After speaking to skiers choice about a newer tank install that wouldn't work due to the fuel pump being inside the tank, decided to put a hole in the flat spot between the front 2 track fins. Im going to just remove the plug from the bottom and cut the head off the T handle to make a recessed access. The plugs are brass, so its easy to do whatever you want with it.

The bilge is over the rear v in the hull.

Yeah. I just measured again today.... No dice... I am gonna do mine from the bottom as well. Just be careful not to hit the gas tank when your drilling through. I picked up a drain with 2" flange at west marine the other day. It was about $9. You know they make plug that is slotted for an allen wrench. That way it could be tightened down flush with the flange. I don't think there would be much issue with using a regular plug since it is between the fins there would not be much drag. I need to find a hole saw that is shorter than the one I have. I was going to drill it today when I was drilling the holes for my ballast, but the drill wouldn't fit between the boat and brace on the trailer.

weston579
09-02-2011, 08:43 AM
If you mind take a few pics. I'm a little nervous about drilling a a hole without taking the floor you and move the tank. Buy if you font have any trouble that would be way quicker. Good luck with it tho

08LSV
09-02-2011, 02:20 PM
If you mind take a few pics. I'm a little nervous about drilling a a hole without taking the floor you and move the tank. Buy if you font have any trouble that would be way quicker. Good luck with it tho

OK. I will take pics and try to do a DIY for it.

weston579
09-03-2011, 12:47 AM
o8LSV i found this at bas pro for 10 dollars and would work perfect for out situation.place the head inline with the track fins and if you forget the plug it will help by having a teflon ball that stops water from flowing into the boat. The ball is held into place by a taper on the top and a stainless rod on the other so there's no way to loos it

http://www.boatersoutlet.com/garboardplugwone-waytheadedbase.aspx

08LSV
09-03-2011, 12:59 AM
o8LSV i found this at bas pro for 10 dollars and would work perfect for out situation.place the head inline with the track fins and if you forget the plug it will help by having a teflon ball that stops water from flowing into the boat. The ball is held into place by a taper on the top and a stainless rod on the other so there's no way to loos it

http://www.boatersoutlet.com/garboardplugwone-waytheadedbase.aspx

Thanks. I don't think it will work though I could not find the measurements for the height. There is on about 1inch max between the hull and gas tank... I am planning to drill the hole this weekend, so then I can measure from the bottom and see how much room is there. I'll let you know when I get the measurements. Thanks again.

Craig

Bigbopper
10-12-2011, 09:22 PM
I really would like to install a drain in my 05 LSV. It has the recess between the fins on the keel, but I'm concerned about drilling from the bottom with the gas tank in place. I bought the proper drain plug and mount, and plan on removing/installing it from below to help dry/clean it out the bilge prior to storage.
Has anyone done it from the bottom without tank removal?

Thanks
BB