PDA

View Full Version : First Surf

zroutt
08-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Poor wave I know but it should get better when I get the front/center bag installed and filled.

My basement bag fill plug pulled out mid-day and didn't try to fix it. The busted bag was the factory bag at 750lbs(1180lb gravity games bag delivered today). So just to try the surf board and get the wife used to pulling me. She likes driving for wakesurfing way better than wakeboarding. Until I get a perfect pass that is :)

Video (http://youtu.be/weF-zpSDwB8). The wave gets a little better at 45secs in.

kaneboats
08-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Your doing fine. You will probably have to move forward on that board a bit. Leaning forward is the gas. Leaning back is the brake. As a general rule, at least for me, it takes 8-10 times as much gas as brake and there is a delayed reaction (kind of like steering an inboard at idle speed). Also, coiling up the rope in your hands is extremely dangerous. Shorten the rope to the length that reaches the back end of the pocket. Then use it only as a crutch. Let it go slack and ride the wave, not the rope. If you fall behind just use the rope to pull back into the pocket. You'll get it.

Moseley618
08-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I have a 04 LSV and mine does not like any weight in the center locker or front for surfing. Try just filling your rear 750 and sit your crew on that side. My speed is 11.5 with wake plate half and I get a nice wave. My speed is GPS certified and it is a really small window that I get a good wake. Try it your next time out.

zroutt
08-23-2011, 04:54 PM
My understanding is there is a difference between the hulls of 03-04. Earlier in the day just trying to fill sacs and get things dialed in, I setup for surf and had a decent looking wave. I was driving at the time.

It was shortly after that, the fill plug pulled out of the old style ballast bag in the basement that came on these boats(Water bed liner inside a vinyl protective cover and used waterbed type fittings).

We then went to lunch, I finished draining the basement bag and left the 750 in the back port locker. When done on the beach we went out to try surfing for the first time and that was the result.

Our speed is monitored via a Garmin GPS unit at 11.5-12mph. Wake plate was at 50%. My hope is with the replacement of the basement bag it will lenghthen out the pocket, get rid of the wash.

We will be out again this Saturday to test it out.

bergermaister
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Lookin' like good times!

When I tried just weighting the surf corner my wave was really tall and really short. Like to the point I was level with the engine cover and felt like I could have shot up onto it, not the platform! At 45 seconds like you said and again around 2min the wave cleans up though. I'm wondering if that was a change of speed or someone moving around in the boat or? In addition to Kane's gas/brake suggestions I'd add a little more bend in your knees to help get you leaning forward to go with the boat. When you stand up straighter it looks like the boat is pulling you more (like a skier) and you tend to lean back against it.

I have felt your pain of trying to find a good surf speed/wave without PP. It's doable, just a bit more tricky!

zroutt
08-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks Berg,

The change in wave is a combo of speed and wakeplate. I asked my wife to change the wake plate and try 12mph. I am hopeful that with the weight up front it will clean up like I had seen it do in the morning. Saturday will be a good test. Plus the Acme 1847 will be here so it will be even easier to maintain speed.

kaneboats
08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I'd try the wakeplate up a little more, I think. I run mine all the way up most of the time when surfing. If you are light on ballast you might need it all the way up.

saskie99
08-24-2011, 11:53 AM
I have a 750 in the rear, 400 mid, 650 in the bow 3 adults on the driver side of the boat. Wake plate about half. You need to get that wave cleaned up and move up a bit on the board. I like to tell people to not ride parallel with the boat but parallel to the wave. This will help them from turning away from the wave and losing the push!

11871 This is the kinda wave you can get if you play with it, I think the speed was about 10.5mph

zroutt
08-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks Kane and Saskie,

I am optimistic that by getting the 1180 Gravity Games Bag filled properly as in that video it was empty due to the fill plug getting pulled out. Filling the bilge and the bilge pump failing half way through emptying :(, that the bow of the boat will get down and should clean the wave up quite nice. Earlier in the day I should have surfed it as I filled the surf locker and the basement bags and the wave was solid. Needed a little cleaning but when playing with the wake plate it cleaned up nice. For the wave in that video all we had as the 750 surf locker and two adults and one 13yr old on surf side.

Got more people going this weekend and the new 1180 Gravity Games center locker was delivered last night. Installing that tonight, an ACME 1847 will be delivered tomorrow, and 6 Polk DB651's on Friday. Gonna be an awesome session on Saturday.

kaneboats
08-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Well, I hope you put up some pics of your new stuff and a new video of your awesome surf wake. Enjoy!

zroutt
08-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I plan to take some pix of the 3 new bags that are getting final installation tonight. And of course I will get some video of this wave this weekend.

I really appreciate the tip on surf the wave and not the boat, I think berger also said to stay low, and both of you said step forward. We'll see what we come up with this weekend :D

zroutt
08-26-2011, 04:39 PM
I plan to take some pix of the 3 new bags that are getting final installation tonight. And of course I will get some video of this wave this weekend.

I really appreciate the tip on surf the wave and not the boat, I think berger also said to stay low, and both of you said step forward. We'll see what we come up with this weekend :D

Pics1188611887118881188911890