PDA

View Full Version : Remove Cooler on LSV? Maybe not.

kaneboats
08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
I have been meaning to remove the cooler on the 2008 LSV and move the starboard locker ballast bag to the port side under the seats. Moombadaze did this with great success. I did not have the right stuff to remove the cooler but easily moved the drain pump and the lines over there. I decided to just run the stock 400 bag under the cooler and partially fill it (it was Sat. morning and time to get rolling). The result was not too bad. The last couple of times out at my current weight if I was going into the wind I could barely hold the pocket. With the extra 250 or so pounds on the surf side and the 400 up front, 750 in the rear, wakeplate all the way up and 10.3 MPH I could surf into a 10 MPH wind no problem. Too bad I forgot how to surf. Here's some pics of the improved wake and if I can get the video to upload to Photobucket I'll post it in a minute.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/kaneboats/IMG_5401.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/kaneboats/newwave.jpg

jpetty3023
08-23-2011, 02:08 PM
nice wave!!

mnpracing
08-23-2011, 02:15 PM
I have been meaning to remove the cooler on the 2008 LSV and move the starboard locker ballast bag to the port side under the seats. Moombadaze did this with great success. I did not have the right stuff to remove the cooler but easily moved the drain pump and the lines over there. I decided to just run the stock 400 bag under the cooler and partially fill it (it was Sat. morning and time to get rolling). The result was not too bad. The last couple of times out at my current weight if I was going into the wind I could barely hold the pocket. With the extra 250 or so pounds on the surf side and the 400 up front, 750 in the rear, wakeplate all the way up and 10.3 MPH I could surf into a 10 MPH wind no problem. Too bad I forgot how to surf. Here's a pic of the improved wake and if I can get the video to upload to Photobucket I'll post it in a minute.

How did you get the back under the cooler? Or did you have it under the rear port seat?

bergermaister
08-23-2011, 02:19 PM
I see slack in that rope! It is amazing what even a little more weight on that surf side will do - learning that more and more this summer. I had a little trouble with my 1100 self draining on the surf side until the bag was about half full. Couldn't figure out why I was losing the pocket and the wave was washing out so easy. Open the compartment and see the problem with a saggy bag staring back at me. (just had a plugged up vented loop)

Do you ever stack bags on the floor or seat just to try it?

kaneboats
08-23-2011, 02:27 PM
The bag is pretty long. It bumps into the 750 at the back and sticks all the way forward to where you can see it if you remove the observer's seat. It's a 400 about 2/3 full right where you need it. I just pushed it under as far as I could and then reached from the front and pulled it forward. Here's the video:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/kaneboats/th_MVI_5408.jpg (http://s535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/kaneboats/?action=view&current=MVI_5408.mp4)

KG's Supra24
08-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Looks good ... have you tried speeding up to see what it does to the wave? Maybe 11 or 11.5?

kaneboats
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Not yet. Gonna have to play with the speed a bit to see if it lengthens out even more.

KG's Supra24
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I posted before i saw the video. I thought you were having trouble getting push, looks like you have plenty!

c.rix
08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
so you took out your cooler and joined our club cooler with out coolers!!!!!

kaneboats
08-24-2011, 11:37 AM
No, I started to remove the (fake) cooler but did not have the right equipment that day. I moved the ballast lines and drain pump over there from the starboard locker because we never use that one. I slid the bag under the cooler and it partially fills. I'm pretty happy with the result for now. I may ultimately remove the cooler some day when more kids are gone but with my current crew the extra ballast is enough.

lsvboombox
08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
so this thread got me excited for another 370 pounds of ballast under the surfside seats....

so I cut the cooler out and got an additional 370 pounds coming in the mail....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/chopsuey-pics/2011-08-26_20-06-01_158.jpg

wolfeman131
08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
that cut looks smoooth. what tool(s) did you use?

lsvboombox
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
that cut looks smoooth. what tool(s) did you use?

I used one of those vibrating cutters.. I actually didnt make the cut you see, the cooler walls were behind the lip you see.. Was still a clean cut though....

jmvotto
08-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Kane great video what board is that?. Wave looks great as well

wolfeman131
08-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Kane is riding his XXX board in that video and I hope you noticed that he was able to surf well even under the duress of having Lady GaGa blasting from his Exile tower speakers.

cab13367
08-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Looking good Kane! Which XXX board is that? I got to try one recently and really liked it. As for the suggestion to go a little faster, I wouldn't. It's harder to stay on a faster moving wave and it will also reduce the size of your wave. I think that wave is perfect the way it is and it's got a nice long pocket already.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Kane is riding his XXX board in that video and I hope you noticed that he was able to surf well even under the duress of having Lady GaGa blasting from his Exile tower speakers.

LMBO. My wife has her mix she likes to play that includes some Gaga. I know which battles to pick and thats not one of them. But I do require she listens to it when we are out of earshot of other boaters for fear of being "that guy". Gaga isn't the worst of it. But if I told you fellas the rest, I'm afraid I would never live it down.

08LSV
08-27-2011, 04:02 PM
I forgot to choose my playlist before getting in the water to surf when we were in Shasta this summer and to my surprise/horror Beyonce's "Diva" was playing when they cranked the towers.... We were still on my gf's playlist... They pretended they couldn't understand me and made me listen to it until it was over. The whole time I am yelling and trying to signal them to turn it down or off, they kept saying "what, go faster?", "what, wake plate down halfway?". Glad we weren't at our usual lake near our house.

moombadaze
08-27-2011, 06:39 PM
. Gaga isn't the worst of it. But if I told you fellas the rest, I'm afraid I would never live it down.

only if you have preteen daughter do you get the truly "good" stuff.-is it really music?????

moombadaze
08-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Boombox, looking good--nothing better than hidden surf ballast.

Pat, if you want I'll bring the dremil up next month and in 10 minutes that ice melter can be gone

wolfeman131
08-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Shhhhhhh on the dremil. I have one of those but told the wife I need one of the oscillating tools to get the cooler out.

mmandley
08-28-2011, 01:00 AM
haha i got one of them Oscillating tools and i love it. She bought me a Dremil a couple years ago and i didnt use it to much but she got me the Oscillating tool and i use it all the time. My favorite thng to use it on is the boat LOL.

kaneboats
08-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Stacy, that's a great idea. Thanks!

As for Gaga-- I force my two teen brats to listen to Shinedown, Daughtry, 80's stuff, hair bands, etc. They really hate it when they are boarding and I play Credence Clearwater Revival. LOL! But, they definitely know how to get even.

rc5695
08-29-2011, 12:16 PM
so this thread got me excited for another 370 pounds of ballast under the surfside seats....

so I cut the cooler out and got an additional 370 pounds coming in the mail....

That 370's going to fit perfect in there!!!

As for music, 'bout the only thing my kids could blast that object to is country... Uugghh... They still like most everything I listen too.

moombadaze
08-29-2011, 07:52 PM
luckily my girl thinks the 80's had the best music, even if the Crue is jammin