PDA

View Full Version : Buffing showing color above the rub rails

bkearney
08-22-2011, 01:36 PM
I used an orbital buffer with with some light buffing compound from west marine. When I used it above the rub rails, I noticed that some of the blue was coming off and ending up on the white of the fiberglass in the compund. I was able to clean it off, no issues. I have never tried doing my own detailing.. so is this to be expected? Or, does this point to a bigger issue with the gel coat?

-- bk

bergermaister
08-22-2011, 06:31 PM
When I drilled for thru hulls I noticed the layers of while and yellow on mine but that was under the rub rail. However it was like white over the yellow base, layered basically. I'd think if a guy buffed on it too much you could wear through that top coat and expose whatever the base color is!

Like this one for example. Looking at the cut up close it went White, Yellow, then dark for the fiberglass. If I buffed too hard on that white I'm sure the yellow underneath would start showing through.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070042.jpg

brain_rinse
08-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Totally normal when using an abrasive like buffing compound. Gelcoat is thick so you'd have to try really really hard to buff your way through it!

bkearney
08-29-2011, 09:27 AM
good to know.. thanks!