PDA

View Full Version : Wake Differences

Lawdog
08-22-2011, 12:33 PM
I've been POSSIBLY thinking about downgrading from my XLV. Although I LOVE my boat, the wake doesn't seem to be very kid friendly. In order to get a clean wake on both sides you have to run around 22.5 mph which is really fast for my 8 year old. That's with no ballast. She typically likes to ride no faster than 14 or 15 mph. Just seeking some input from those that own the Outback V and LSV. Do the wakes clean up with the smaller boats and lower mph?

mk_deuce
08-22-2011, 12:46 PM
my 2007 lsv wouldnt even think of cleaning up going that slow.

Razzman
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Without ballast my '07 LSV doesn't cleanup until around 21+. My grandson rode at around 17 until I got him a new board and puled him at 21, now it's all he'll ride at.

deafgoose
08-22-2011, 12:56 PM
With no ballast, I can get a clean wake at 18mph. That is the speed my gf likes to wakeskate at.

kaneboats
08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
16-- frothy 17-- pretty clean w/ no ballast.

KSmith
08-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I'll check mine NG OBV tonight when we go out. I can get a beautiful clean rampy wake at 18 and higher with or without ballast, not so sure about 14-15 that is right between where we surf and and wakeboard (surf usually around 9-11 and wakeboard around 18-22). I'll give it a shot and see what we end up with. If I remember I'll toss in a camera and get some snaps at different speeds.

you da man
08-22-2011, 01:06 PM
I know the LSV is money 18mph or higher for a clean wake. I'd suspect the Outback V maybe the same or 17mph. 14-15mph is pretty slow and asking a lot out of a V-drive boat for a clean, washfree wake. Might just get an LSV and get her a 45-50' line. At those short lengths you just have to worry about the rooster tail on the prop wash

kaneboats
08-22-2011, 01:32 PM
This pic shows the LSV at 18 with no ballast. I pull the smaller kids at about 16.5 but couldn't find a pic that showed the wake.

mmobius2001
08-22-2011, 01:37 PM
best i've found when the girls ride, i fill the front ballast only, wake plate at 1/4 way up and ride about 19-20mph, clean and looks pretty good.

kaneboats
08-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Sorry-- forgot to mention-- I think the wakeplate was about a third of the way up in the pic. I'll also say that below about 19 or so you have to distribute your passengers pretty evenly to keep both sides clean.

jester
08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
On the 08 OBV i can get a clean wake at 18 MPH. wakeplate all the way down but i might move it up a little depending on how the wake looks. I tow new people at around 18.5 and it seams like a good speed for them.

wolfeman131
08-22-2011, 02:44 PM
^^ same and move a folks to the bow if I need to mellow it out a bit

Boonejeepin
08-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Any speed and ballast advice for the XLV?

you da man
08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Any speed and ballast advice for the XLV?

Levi (aka: 501) says he can get a clean wake on both sides around 21-22 even loaded with ballast. Myself (I used to have an 08 XLV) and a couple other XLV guys say we can't get a clean wake with no ballast until 23-ish. It's a bigger boat with more freeboard. Also, at 22.5-23mph the XLV is very sensitive with side to side weighting. I've literally had an average size person move over 6"-12" and it effected the wake. The LSV seems less sensitive that I've seen.

08-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Ya, we routinely have people ride at 21 or even a touch less with little ballast or if there is any ballast, only in the front tank. Then put the plate all the way down, or %95 of the way down. Use a rope that is like 55-60ft. We run 2650 lbs fully weighted and 21.7 is the slowest we go with a fairly short rope. We usually ride at about 22.5 now. I will GPS it and try and take some pics the next time Im out. There are tons of videos showing my wake on here too.

08LSV
08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
18mph for us as well is the slowest reasonably clean speed. I usually have to bump the wake plate around to keep it clean though.

KSmith
08-22-2011, 08:55 PM
18mph for us as well is the slowest reasonably clean speed. I usually have to bump the wake plate around to keep it clean though.

Yup ^^^ 18 it is. 15 is a fight, feels like the boat is on the fence if it will plane or not, I could at times get one wake cleaned up but not a speed I'd run at for boarding. 18 really is about a slow as I can go and get a decent clean wake, although it is a bit touchy at times and one side or the other will wash out some. On the bright side when it is being fussy it seems to clean up on the side the boarder is on so they have a good take off wake but a bit washed out for landing, but for us non-pros it works just fine. I do prefer around 20 myself, sometimes 21-22 depending on how much self propelled ballast we have onboard... 18 I use for times I am feeling froggy and know I am going to bite it, so set the cruise a bit slower so it hurts a bit less ;-)

Lawdog
08-22-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm not looking for a clean wake at 15 mph....LOL. I was just saying that my daughter likes that speed right now. We had her up to 18 mph the other day and she took a faceplant on the whitewash when she tried to cross back over the wake. It looked painful too. She was a trooper and although crying she got back up again and took another set. My wife likes to ride around 19 though. It's funny because when we were test driving boats it never dawned on me to slow it down and see the best wake at the slowest speed. The salesmen just punched in a speed and away we went and were amazed at how good the wake looked. Another reason I am looking at downgrading is so that I can store it in my garage rather than our wharehouse. Any additional pics would be awesome and I do appreciate the responses.

08LSV
08-23-2011, 03:49 AM
Any additional pics would be awesome and I do appreciate the responses.

We are heading out in the morning for some surfing but I will try to get some pics at 15mph on the way to the cove before we fill the bags for surfing.

newty
08-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Try shortening up the rope a bit. This does 2 things. It gets her into the cleaner part of the wave at lower speeds, and puts her at a narrower part of the the wave so it tends not to be so intimidating.

Kids don't need to be 75-80ft back. Get them closer to the boat, it makes coaching and encouragement much easier. lol. As they progress let them out.

Lawdog
08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Try shortening up the rope a bit. This does 2 things. It gets her into the cleaner part of the wave at lower speeds, and puts her at a narrower part of the the wave so it tends not to be so intimidating.

Kids don't need to be 75-80ft back. Get them closer to the boat, it makes coaching and encouragement much easier. lol. As they progress let them out.

My daughter typically rides at 65 ft or less. The problem she is having is she wants to cross back and forth over the wake and start jumping but the white wash tends to "trip" her up. I think she would be fine at 18 mph with a clean wake. I also have a 4 yr old who is going to try wakeboarding (loves to kneeboard right now) toward the end of this season and an 8 month old who obviously wont be ready for the water for quite some time, so a smaller boat may suffice for quite a few years.

Ian Brantford
08-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Ditto, except I'd say to shorten it up a LOT. I have one old rope with a loop set around... maybe 40-50 feet? Maybe it's even less.

There was a thread on here some months ago about great success with a wakesurf rope for first-time wakeboarders, so that's about 12 feet!

cab13367
08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
My daughter typically rides at 65 ft or less. The problem she is having is she wants to cross back and forth over the wake and start jumping but the white wash tends to "trip" her up. I think she would be fine at 18 mph with a clean wake. I also have a 4 yr old who is going to try wakeboarding (loves to kneeboard right now) toward the end of this season and an 8 month old who obviously wont be ready for the water for quite some time, so a smaller boat may suffice for quite a few years.

This topic came up recently so I made it a point to take a pic of my wake at a GPS confirmed 18 mph with just me on board (see below). I think the issue of "what is the slowest speed that a boat will throw a clean wake" is one that most buyers overlook, and probably most boat salesman don't mention (of course, they want you to buy the bigger, more expensive boat). My brother fell into the same trap - he bought a new 24' Tige as his first boat in 2005 and at the time, had three kids under 11 years old (and a timid wife). He soon found out that his boat needs to go a minimum of 22 MPH to get clean wake so his kids and wife to this day are still wakeboarding in white wash because they are not willing to wakeboard at 22.

In your situation, I think you will be happier with the LSV and the fact that the LSV will fit in your garage is a huge added bonus.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20pics%20-%20public/0ef1469b.jpg

08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Yup, a very short rope is great for beginners. Try wakeboarding at 11mph on a surf rope, it actually works, and is kind of fun when you are tired or beat up from crashes. In fact I have videos of me throwing backrolls and raleys off the surf wave, so it is possible. But if you have a beginner wanting to cross the wake and learn to jump a little, the short rope will really help at slow speeds. Like Ian said, try 40-50ft. And make sure no ballast and the plate all the way down to keep the nose of the boat down.

kaneboats
08-23-2011, 02:36 PM
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout right there. Nice and clean. FYI, I couldn't really get a clean wake with my Outback LS below about 16 or so. I think the LSV is as good as anything at lower speeds. How about the OBV anyone?

bergermaister
08-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Try wakeboarding at 11mph on a surf rope, it actually works, and is kind of fun when you are tired or beat up from crashes. Been thinking of trying that. Maybe if the little kids or scaredie cats see that they'd be more willing to try it too...

deafgoose
08-23-2011, 03:29 PM
You cant really get a clean wake much lower than 18mph because you need to be on plane.

KSmith
08-23-2011, 05:02 PM
You cant really get a clean wake much lower than 18mph because you need to be on plane.

^^^ Same as DG with my NG OBV. 18 is good can be a bit sensitive, over 18 is golden, 15 is no good, boat is right on the fence to be on plane or not, 16-17 so so, I could usually get one side to clean up but not both no ballast wake plate full down just the wife and I and under a half tank gas. I did't try and slow speed runs with ballast as I did not have any ballast bags with me last night (still trying to recover from last weekends rollers over the bow LOL)... but if the boat is on th efence at 15 without ballast it'll be no better with ballast I suspect... I like 18 when I know I am going to crash, 20 is probably my favorite speed for just farting around... over 22 starts getting a bit too painful for my old bones so I try and avoid that at all cost ;-)

mk_deuce
08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
This topic came up recently so I made it a point to take a pic of my wake at a GPS confirmed 18 mph with just me on board (see below). I think the issue of "what is the slowest speed that a boat will throw a clean wake" is one that most buyers overlook, and probably most boat salesman don't mention (of course, they want you to buy the bigger, more expensive boat). My brother fell into the same trap - he bought a new 24' Tige as his first boat in 2005 and at the time, had three kids under 11 years old (and a timid wife). He soon found out that his boat needs to go a minimum of 22 MPH to get clean wake so his kids and wife to this day are still wakeboarding in white wash because they are not willing to wakeboard at 22.

In your situation, I think you will be happier with the LSV and the fact that the LSV will fit in your garage is a huge added bonus.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20pics%20-%20public/0ef1469b.jpg

Are you running any ballast in that pic? My 07 wouldnt dream of cleaning up like that at 18 unless I had my guests play musical chairs.

mnpracing
08-24-2011, 09:38 AM
My '08 looks just like Alcab's above at 18 with no ballast and 2 adults/3 kids on board. My 9 year old clears the w2w on a 70ft rope at this speed. He's even landed in the flats a few times.

cab13367
08-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Are you running any ballast in that pic? My 07 wouldnt dream of cleaning up like that at 18 unless I had my guests play musical chairs.

No ballast and just me on the boat.

Jet
08-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Malibu/wedge 15-24 mph no white wash. Im just saying! lol

08LSV
08-24-2011, 09:09 PM

I am glad that the $50,000 more that they paid for that Malibu with a wedge was worth it...

lsvboombox
08-24-2011, 09:13 PM
speaking of the wedge, has anybody ever messed with the switchblade on a moomba?

you da man
08-25-2011, 10:07 AM

Hope you're just kidding because I call BS on a modern Malibu hull with a v-drive making a clean wake WITH wedge down or engaged at 15-17mph. The wedge drags the back of the boat down and at those speeds would barely be on plane and the wake would be dirty.

Jet
08-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Here we go..no one said anything about a brand new boat $$50,000. A 02' mali $ells for less than 25k. "Calling BS" I ride behind a DD-03' and a 2011' wakesetter WEEEEEEEEKLY. The boat is planed out at 15-17 mph because my wife does her surface 360's at that speed ZERO wash. Also there is a supra/moomba guy on here that will remain nameless that had to end his run early at dusk on day (sun was still up,but starting to get dark) because he couldnt see the wake (ZERO WHITE WASH). And every full moon we go out on the 03' to ride at night time..no you cant see the wake, and you have to use the force for landings. And yes that scares a certain somebody on here. lol

Im a supra guy and 7-of my friends have supras from a 89' me all the way to a 2010 24' so dont be a hater..boats are like girls, you can love more than one. lol

Lawdog
08-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Im a supra guy and 7-of my friends have supras from a 89' me all the way to a 2010 24' so dont be a hater..boats are like girls, you can love more than one. lol

Well some of us are dedicated to our true loves and we all aren't boat whores....hahahaha....just kidding.
I really do like Cabs pic of his wake. I'm no pro and am very limited in my bag of tricks. I believe part of it is because if I want a clean crisp wake I have to bump up the speed to 22.5 or faster which really hurts when you dont land your trick properly. I would love a crisp wake at 18 mph so that I could get a nice wake and softer crashes. Anybody with and OBV and pics of their wake??

jmvotto
08-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Back on topic, here is an 07 OBV no ballast , wp down 100% 15 mph shortest length on the starightline wake board line.
definately wash, cleans up at 17 to 18 mph

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/IMAG0283.jpg

Lawdog
08-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Back on topic, here is an 07 OBV no ballast , wp don 100% 15 mph shortest length on the starightline wake board line.
definately wash, cleans up at 17 to 18 mph

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/IMAG0283.jpg

That is still alot cleaner than my XLV wake at that speed.

08-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Don't you guys find it hard to jump or even ride as such a slow speed like 18? It sure seems slow to me.

deafgoose
08-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Don't you guys find it hard to jump or even ride as such a slow speed like 18? It sure seems slow to me.''

I cant ride at 18... 21 is the minimum for me.

It's ideal for beginners thou. Softer crashes.

wolfeman131
08-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Don't you guys find it hard to jump or even ride as such a slow speed like 18? It sure seems slow to me.

Yep, gotta agree with goose that 18 mph for an 8-11 year old is plenty fast. My girls like to practice slides & surface 360's around 10mph then ride & jump the wake (not W2W yet) at 10-20 mph. They weigh under 80 lbs, so I guess it's all relative.

kaneboats
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
In the LSV you need more ballast above about 20 as the wake starts to flatten out due to speed. With just the center full at 18-20 you get a good newby wake and the falls aren't too bad. Faster than that and you have to fill everything and it HURTS.

Jet
08-26-2011, 11:15 AM
LMAO..lawdog. I always say..the best thing I like about girls (and boats), is variety!! lol

deafgoose
08-26-2011, 11:41 AM
In the LSV you need more ballast above about 20 as the wake starts to flatten out due to speed.

That is when I adjust the wakeplate.

rdlangston13
08-26-2011, 01:22 PM
i ride about 22 and the falls don't hurt THAT bad unless you face plant.

jmvotto
08-27-2011, 12:15 AM
I've been POSSIBLY thinking about downgrading from my XLV. Although I LOVE my boat, the wake doesn't seem to be very kid friendly. In order to get a clean wake on both sides you have to run around 22.5 mph which is really fast for my 8 year old. That's with no ballast. She typically likes to ride no faster than 14 or 15 mph. Just seeking some input from those that own the Outback V and LSV. Do the wakes clean up with the smaller boats and lower mph?

lawdog looks lie there is an 2008 obv in your neck of the woods for sale up in kzoo, mi at a great price. may be worth a tezt drive.

Lawdog
08-31-2011, 11:54 PM
OK so I called the local Moomba dealer as well as the dealer I bought my boat from and asked them about the LSV and the fact that I might be looking to downgrade. Boy was I surprised when they told me that an LSV with the same options as my XLV is going for 3K-4K MORE than what I bought my XLV brand new for. I could have sworn we have been in a recession for the past 2 years. I couldn't believe it. It about knocked my socks off when they told me the Outback V is selling for 2K less than what I paid for my XLV. To top it all off the amount they said my boat would be on trade was even more ridiculous. Seriously I cant believe boat prices for Moomba have gone up that much.

Ian Brantford
09-01-2011, 01:43 AM
[...] Seriously I cant believe boat prices for Moomba have gone up that much.

My dealer gave me a similar story when I was getting ready to buy. What he really meant was that he'd really like me to pay full list price and to please not check with any other dealers.

So, I recommend that you present yourself as a new customer to some other dealer and see if the prices match.

KSmith
09-01-2011, 06:32 AM
My dealer gave me a similar story when I was getting ready to buy. What he really meant was that he'd really like me to pay full list price and to please not check with any other dealers.

So, I recommend that you present yourself as a new customer to some other dealer and see if the prices match.

I tried the shop around method prior to buying my OBV, the dealers I talked to in Florida wouldn't even talk to me about a current model year boat, they said they were under restrictions from SC on selling current model years to customers that were not part of the dealers franchise area... they said they would dicker on any older Moombas they had in stock...

Perhaps I was mislead... wouldn't be the first time ;-)

Lawdog
09-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Here I'll throw out the numbers that were given to me. For a new 2011 XLV with the same features as my 2009 XLV the list price was around 62K-65K. New LSV same features 53K-55K. New Outback V same features 48K-51K. APPROXIMATE trade-in for my boat 38K. I bought mine in 2009 for 51K with the list price at 57K. I did speak to a couple different dealers. I was just surprised they went up that much in less than two years. With all that being said I did this over the phone and not in person. I might need to wait until the boat show incentives come around.

you da man
09-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Here I'll throw out the numbers that were given to me. For a new 2011 XLV with the same features as my 2009 XLV the list price was around 62K-65K. New LSV same features 53K-55K. New Outback V same features 48K-51K. APPROXIMATE trade-in for my boat 38K. I bought mine in 2009 for 51K with the list price at 57K. I did speak to a couple different dealers. I was just surprised they went up that much in less than two years. With all that being said I did this over the phone and not in person. I might need to wait until the boat show incentives come around.

Might want to look for a previous year leftover IF they have options/features and a decent color left. I got my '08 XLV new in Sept '09 (boat stored indoors at dealer so no worries about sun exposure) for $42,300 (tower speakers and GGIII ballast).

wolfeman131
09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I tried the shop around method prior to buying my OBV, the dealers I talked to in Florida wouldn't even talk to me about a current model year boat, they said they were under restrictions from SC on selling current model years to customers that were not part of the dealers franchise area... they said they would dicker on any older Moombas they had in stock...

Perhaps I was mislead... wouldn't be the first time ;-)

Nope, you were not mislead. The dealers (at least in the US) are provided with protected territories.

wolfeman131
09-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Tough numbers for sure, but EVERYTHING has gone up in price. Just read a Wall Street Journal article last week that stated that, versus a year ago, mile now cost almost 5% more, beef almost 8% more and egggs almost 12% more. Input costs continue to rise and manufacturers are forced to pass them along. I'm sure SC has taken huge commodity increases due to the rise in petroleum whch drives the price of resins, etc.

yager97
09-01-2011, 05:15 PM
who cares if the wake is clean 18 and below?? if you are riding that slow you aren't clearing the wake, you are learning and could ride just as well behind a fishing boat so what does it matter??? its far more important to have a clean wake 22 and above at actual wakeboarding speeds. Thats what a wakeboard boat is designed for. If you want a training boat for children, I suggest a zodiac. That's what I learned on, worked absolutely fine.

Ian Brantford
09-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I was just surprised they went up that much in less than two years.

There has been market consolidation. At the beginning of the recession, there was oversupply and bargains galore. During the recession, weaker players failed. Now sellers are trying to come back and are vying for more profits. So, list prices have gone up. That doesn't mean that carefully negotiated selling prices have to be much higher than before.

With all that being said I did this over the phone and not in person. I might need to wait until the boat show incentives come around.
If you know someone in the area of a competing dealer, that person might be able to find out what prices are actually available. However, the best thing to do is to remind yourself that you merely "want" a different model and are not desperate for one. In the autumn or during the winter boat shows is when the pressure to sell at a bargain will be highest. This is especially true if we get a double-dip recession.

[...] I'm sure SC has taken huge commodity increases due to the rise in petroleum whch drives the price of resins, etc.
I was given the same song and dance when I was getting ready to buy. Increases in the cost of certain supplies don't mean that gouging at the retail sales level has to be tolerated by a buyer who can afford to wait.

Buying a new boat was the only experience that I have had as a consumer where the sellers put on airs of being offended that I would even consider an alternate vendor for the same product. Some retailers and distributors have run into legal trouble for it in other industries. It's very odd. With individual dealers of the same brand being protected from competition, the only thing that a comparison shopper can do is to visit a dealer of a competing brand. Before, there was no direct competitor to Moomba, but now there is. I wish that SC would understand this.

KSmith
09-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Nope, you were not mislead. The dealers (at least in the US) are provided with protected territories.

Ah good. As a consumer I can be a bit put off by that I suppose as it makes it more difficult to wheel and deal. From a business perspective I applaud such protections for a dealer or franchise owner. Besides, after some covert shopping it seems they are all within a reasonable range. Sure I got some cheaper prices mentioned during my special ops research, but if I were to take into account gas for the truck both ways and in most cases a motel for a night or two, it really was too close to call...

Lawdog
09-02-2011, 12:06 AM
who cares if the wake is clean 18 and below?? if you are riding that slow you aren't clearing the wake, you are learning and could ride just as well behind a fishing boat so what does it matter??? its far more important to have a clean wake 22 and above at actual wakeboarding speeds. Thats what a wakeboard boat is designed for. If you want a training boat for children, I suggest a zodiac. That's what I learned on, worked absolutely fine.

You must have been typing fast and must have meant that YOU cant clear the wake at 18 mph and YOU need to be doing 22 mph to clear the wake. I can personally clear the wake at slower speeds with NO BALLAST not because I'm that awesome but my technique is good. My apologies if my 8 year is not a wakeboarding phenom such as yourself.

KSmith
09-02-2011, 08:46 AM
My technique sucks and I can clear the wake at 18. I will usually regret it shortly after touchdown and just after my face is brutally introduced to the surface of the water, but it is nice smooth water outside the wake at least...

mnpracing
09-02-2011, 09:40 AM

My 9 year old has no problem going W2W at 18mph (PP SG) with no ballast, sometimes a little slower if he's doing surface tricks than all of a sudden sweeps out and goes w2w before I speed up....I'm really not sure where your comment is coming from or what the intention is....do you always blame your equipment if you can't do something?

cab13367
09-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Yager, you're way out of line. As a father of a 7 year old who is working up the nerve to try wakeboarding for the first time, I can relate to lawdog. He is looking to downsize his boat so that his daughter can have a positive wakeboarding experience. I commend him for it. Judging from the insensitivity of your reply, I am sure you don't have any kids. If you do, I feel badly for them.

yager97
09-02-2011, 10:57 AM
apologies I was typing fast without putting much thought into it. You're right, I have no kids. When I do have kids, I will be teaching them behind something small and less intimidating than a wakeboard boat. I came off like an ass, I apologize.

yager97
09-02-2011, 11:15 AM
allow me to soften my response. I should have edited it. As a child, I would have been terrified of a 21 foot boat with a roaring engine pulling me out of the water. no matter how much ballast you take out, and slow you go, the wake is going to be large enough that it will be terrifying for most children. When I was 7 years old and 60lbs , I was able to learn behind a zodiac dinghy with 15HP engine. This made the transition to a larger boat much easier as I got better, and got bigger. Don't feel sorry for my future kids Cab, they will be fine. And in no way do I consider myself a wakeboard phenom. I'm actually a humble and nice guy, check my history, but my post came off a little offside.

mnpracing
09-02-2011, 11:22 AM
When I was 7 years old and 60lbs , I was able to learn behind a zodiac dinghy with 15HP engine. This made the transition to a larger boat much easier as I got better, and got bigger.

Our kids learned behind SeaDoo PWC's. We didn't have a boat yet, and in hindsight was a great way to start the kids.

kaneboats
09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
That fantastic apology is accepted by everyone on here with kids. There's still hope for you yet!

09-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I have kids who will be learning behind my XLV very soon (they are 3 and 5). My 5 year old is already rocking the "Ski Trainer" and she surfs with me. I don't really see what difference going 14-18 will make behind say an OutbackV or an XLV, little kids aren't going to be "jumping the wake" to start, they are just going to get up and ride, so if you don't have a perfectly formed wake at 16mph, who cares. And all Vdrive boats (20ft or 23ft) are scary to a little kid with their loud, big motors. Lets be honest, at the start it's just intimidating for little kids to wakeboard until they get the confidence.

And when my kids are ready to start jumping, I am going to have them on a very very short line so we can go really slow and I can actually talk to them from the back of the boat to help them. I can't wait for this day.

Now for actual adult wakeboarding with Full Ballast, I have to agree with Yager97, 22 or so is where you should be riding. There is no reason to load up ballast for a big wake and then ride at 17 or 18. It's just not necessary, and if you have to ride that slow, you probably are still learning to jump and you are much better off learning on a smaller wake anways and a shorter rope. Watch old Wakeboard videos and see how big the guys go on those tiny wake and you can see that 2500lbs of ballast aren't necessary for beginners to be able to "get air". In fact a smaller wake teaches better form.

jmvotto
09-02-2011, 04:15 PM
those are my 14 yr olds at 15mph above pics i usually ride around 21 if flat

Here is my 10 yr old who just learned to wakeboard two days earlier, riding at 10 mph
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/IMAG0271.jpg no wake all foam she loves it.
Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
09-02-2011, 04:41 PM
That fantastic apology is accepted by everyone on here with kids. There's still hope for you yet!

AGREED! Nice job, Yager.

lsvboombox
09-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Our kids learned behind SeaDoo PWC's. We didn't have a boat yet, and in hindsight was a great way to start the kids.

+1 . always teach the little ones with the pwc...