PDA

View Full Version : Factory ballast gush

Boonejeepin
08-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I bought the boat new about a month ago. A few times now the threaded coupler has popped out of the bag causing a flood in the bilge.

Would it be wise to just use some sort of adhesive on the threads? If so, what kind of adhesive should I try? The threads seem OK to me but the connector has popped out twice.

Or, would you just take the bag back to the dealer? Does anyone know if the bag would be a warranty item?

loudsubz
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
if its popping out of the threads I have a feeling its not seated all the way or your threads are stripped even though they don't look it. Sealant is only for small leaks, if the whole thing is coming out you have bigger issue.

mnpracing
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
use a high quality PVC cement.

jpetty3023
08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
If your dealer is close I would have them fix the original issue, get the right gear/product working first then reenforce as others have posted about here. Just my .02!

you da man
08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Is the fill hose too short and busts loose when the bag is almost full? I would look at the bag in question when almost full and see if the hose is stretching and then pulling the fitting out. This is the problem most of the time and an easy/cheap fix

Martin Jr
08-22-2011, 04:21 PM
had same problem.

Use the wet/dry pvc cement the irrigation pro's use.

leave o-ring on, coat threads of fitting and bag, and screw down hand tight.

it won't pop out again.

rdlangston13
08-22-2011, 06:32 PM
what threads? my bags quick disconnect

mmandley
08-22-2011, 08:36 PM
what threads? my bags quick disconnect

Hes talking about the quick connects threading into the bags.

I would caution you against gluing them in. I am running 750s and no issues with leaks or popping connections. I hand screw mine all the way in then use a pair of channell locks and give them a good torque down. Problem with gluing is if you ever want to change them out you have to spend the money for new fittings. The factory bags normaly come glued in.

If your refering to the quick disconnects comming undone then make sure the red tab is slid all the way down to lock onto the bags.

Boonejeepin
08-22-2011, 09:16 PM
I am referring to where the connection threads into the ballast bag. The disconnects work just fine.

lsvboombox
08-22-2011, 09:26 PM
i bought a bunch of bags from Wakemakers and only the rear bags came glued.. They claim that the engine compartment gets hot and softens the rubber(or plastic) causing the threads to pull out.