PDA

View Full Version : Bilge replacement?

pmoomba
08-22-2011, 10:41 AM
While on vacation my bilge was left on overnight and now it doesn't work. I haven't looked into it too much but I'm assuming it's burned out. One time I noticed that the dash light was on even when the switch was off, but that behavior didn't seem to be consistent. Could it be something else (ie, fuse, etc) and if so, where is it?

If it's burned out, has anyone replaced one in an 06-08 OBV (or earlier LSV, etc). It seems like it's super tight in there and there isn't a lot of room to work, do I need to bring up the floor to replace it?

Is this an appropriate replacement?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6031726

Is the installation/wiring difficult? Should I be able to just use all the existing wiring and splice this one into place?

kaneboats
08-22-2011, 11:10 AM
If yours is like mine it has a manual switch on the dash but it also has an automatic float switch that will turn it on (that's when you see the light on the dash). You can use any pump that will fit in the space. On my Outback and on my LSV you could reach and replace the bilge pump without removing any of the floor. Not sure about your OBV. And, yes, you could just splice in the new one (use some heat shrink connectors for a tight seal).

KG's Supra24
08-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Walmart carries the Saraha 500, about the same price or a little cheaper. I left the bottom of my factory pump (the blue part in your link) in the floor since it was glued in and just replaced the white part (the actual pump). I spliced the 3 or 4 wires, used heat shrink like Kaneboats mentioned, and done.

pmoomba
08-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks. That makes sense about the light, since when it came on it was after a rain when it would have needed to run. I guess I can take that to mean that it's working as expected, just the motor is probably burned out. I'll work on replacing it.

murraymoomba
08-22-2011, 05:44 PM
There is a knob on the side you can turn to see if it works.

jmvotto
08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Walmart carries the Saraha 500, about the same price or a little cheaper. I left the bottom of my factory pump (the blue part in your link) in the floor since it was glued in and just replaced the white part (the actual pump). I spliced the 3 or 4 wires, used heat shrink like Kaneboats mentioned, and done.

I did the same left the mount to the floor, the obv is tight but you should be able to get a flat head screw driver to pry the tab open on the gas tank side. First check the manual knob on the side as previously stated. Wally world has them too.