PDA

View Full Version : Searching old threads

jmvotto
08-22-2011, 10:14 AM
when i search, only the post that occured on the new site are showing up.

let me know if there is a setting to changed

joe

kaneboats
08-22-2011, 10:25 AM
The only way I've found is to go into "archive" and do a find on this page search. Pain in the butt.

wolfeman131
08-22-2011, 10:27 AM
and I have found that the entire thread may not be available

brain_rinse
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I sent a note to the admin to get his input.

kaneboats
08-22-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't know if they changed something or not but I did something different today. If you (from the Forum page) click on a section like "General" and enter it, then scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see "Thread Display Options". Change this to "show threads from the " and pick "beginning". Now I can see and search older threads I think.

Edit: Can see them but can't search them.

dmgx
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
In order to get the search to function for older posts we will have to re-index all the old posts. We did re-index about 13,000 of the latest posts after the forum was upgraded and that process took about 3 hours.. There are 127,000 posts on the forum and to re-index them all we would have to take the forum down for about 2 days to get them all or we can batch them at night and take the board down from 8 or 9pm and then restart it the next morning for about a week.

wolfeman131
08-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't think the masses could survive the forum being down for 2 days!

Can you re-index certain sections such as Modifications and skip others such as Off Topic?

kaneboats
08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Modifications would be the big one nice to have searchable. Then Service and Repair. These are also some of the least posted in threads (compared to General Chat).

dmgx
08-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Unfortunately, you can't pick n choose when doing the re-indexing.. I think we're just going to have to come to a consensus on the plan of action:

A. Take it down and re-index everything as quickly as possible, probably a couple of days
B. Take it down at night and let it do its thing and hopefully get it in 4 days or so
C. Leave it as is, which doesn't seem like the best idea since there is lots of good info in there, people just have to dig through archives

DOCDRS
08-22-2011, 07:20 PM
I vote take it down for 2 days and we are done. To do it at night, I think alot of members check it then so more of an inconvenience. I think down for tuesday wednesday and thursday morning if necessary would be best. but just my opinion.

Martin Jr
08-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Leave it as is. You got enough on your plate and I'm not real sure SC would like the mula spent for nothing in return.

People can always learn to search the archives.

jmvotto
08-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Leave it as is. You got enough on your plate and I'm not real sure SC would like the mula spent for nothing in return.

People can always learn to search the archives.

ed show us how to search the archives. they are a disorganized mess.

my vote 1 hr a day for a week or so alternate times so everyone is happy.

DOCDRS
08-22-2011, 10:39 PM
ed show us how to search the archives. they are a disorganized mess.

my vote 1 hr a day for a week or so alternate times so everyone is happy.

As far as know you have to call them up (bottom right corner) ,then manually scroll thru each forum. Not very effective and I do not believe Ed knows any other better way........

08LSV
08-23-2011, 06:02 AM
If they do get them in a searchable format again would we get the pics linked back from the old threads. I can find most of the mod threads I need, but they are not very helpful for me without the pictures... I am a "paint by numbers" kinda guy... My vote is to do whatever it takes to get everything possible back. This is the best, most informative and friendliest boat forum I have ever found. Hell any forum on any topic I have ever found. It would be a shame for all that easily accessible knowledge (and images) to be lost because we can't be inconvenienced with the forum down for two days or short periods over a week.

DOCDRS
08-23-2011, 07:39 AM
A lot of the posts are in the HOW TO Forum . The pictures are coming up when I look at some of the older posts suck as the winterization process

KG's Supra24
08-23-2011, 11:43 AM
id vote a few hours each day, or whatever it takes, to have it done in a week.

Throw up a poll to go through Monday, let the majority decide, and go with it. I agree there is a lot of valuable information.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I vote to take it down for 2 days and get this sucker running like brand new, but if it is easier for others than I have not problem with taking it down for a few hours each day. Let's get this thing fixed though and definitely not leave it as is......

dmgx
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Talked w/ the powers that be at Skiers Choice. We will be taking the forum down 9 or 10pm each night for re-indexing of the old threads so they are more easily searchable. The forums will then be brought back online first thing each following morning. Hopefully this will be wrapped up by the end of the week..

brain_rinse
08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Awesome, thanks Kurt!

WaterBullDawg1980
08-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Thank you sir!

kaneboats
08-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Excellent. Thanks, Kurt!

08LSV
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Talked w/ the powers that be at Skiers Choice. We will be taking the forum down 9 or 10pm each night for re-indexing of the old threads so they are more easily searchable. The forums will then be brought back online first thing each following morning. Hopefully this will be wrapped up by the end of the week..

Thanks from me as well!

wolfeman131
08-23-2011, 07:44 PM
nice solution

get the forum back without having to sacrifice a daily forum fix