PDA

View Full Version : PerfectPass Stargazer GPS in river current

bergermaister
08-21-2011, 02:19 AM
I think my original post on this died with the old forum so just a quick follow-up about how the GPS reading for speed on PerfectPass Stargazer is affected by river current.

After 3 consecutive days on the water I can assure that the river current does make a difference but only at lower speeds. At wakeboarding speed of 20+ if there is any difference from the river current it is unnoticeable from what I could see. Didn't look any different, feel any different.

At surf speed is where you have to adjust. Downstream I was running between 11-11.5mph for the best wave. 1100 corner, 750 center, 4 adults and 3 kids on surf side or up front. Running upstream we had to knock it down to about 8.5mph on the GPS speed to create the same wave. It was interesting. At faster speeds going upstream it was still surfable, even freeriding, but just felt like you were hauling ass rather than cruising.

I'm not so sure that adding a paddle wheel for another $100 would be worth it. Going BEEP BEEP BEEP on the arrows and spending a minute or two to adjust the speed for going upstream or down really isn't that big of a deal. Even an old buddy who had never driven with PP before had it down in a flash, adjusting speed accordingly for which direction we were heading.

mmandley
08-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Just use a lake/ resivoir LOL

deafgoose
08-21-2011, 10:56 AM
It really depends on the speed the river is flowing. I noticed a 3mph difference at wakeboarding speed on a fast flowing river.

bergermaister
08-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Yeah - I'm sure that's true. The Columbia has finally slowed down to a normal current now that summer is winding up. Start of summer I know we would have had to do a lot more adjusting to make up for the ripping currents. It was kinda scary to even let the kids go swimming off the beach for a while. Lifejackets required at all times back then...