PDA

View Full Version : 2005 XLV Won't Start - bad ECM?

JBMoombaMan
08-21-2011, 12:54 AM
My 05 XLV will not start! The boat only has 180 hrs. The starter spins the motor, I have spark, fuel, and 180 PSI compression in each cyl. I replaced plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and fuel....... Still no start.

I took the boat into the dealer and he "thinks" the ECM is bad and quoted me $1,600 for a new one. Does this sound reasonable?

Help?

08LSV
08-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Did you check the distributor position? Maybe the initial timing is off... Never worked on an '05 boat but several cars where the retaining plate was loose and allowed the distributor to move enough out of time for it not to start. Check this link out it may be of some help for you. hope you get it fixed and back on the water soon.

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/.../Ignition%20Specs%20and%20Adjustment.pdf (ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/.../Ignition%20Specs%20and%20Adjustment.pdf)

08LSV
08-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Sorry try this link its indmars timing and distributor adjustment:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp2.indmar.us%2FService%2520Infor mation%2FIgnition%2520Specs%2520and%2520Adjustment .pdf&rct=j&q=2005%20indmar%20initial%20distributor%20position %20&ei=hJlQTt7YG6yjsQKYz4ndBg&usg=AFQjCNEhxGTtUm6AhPVutafKTPDA5srHeA&sig2=US_98nA_G8eWyt_N91LmDA (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp2.indmar.us%2FService%2520Infor mation%2FIgnition%2520Specs%2520and%2520Adjustment .pdf&rct=j&q=2005%20indmar%20initial%20distributor%20position %20&ei=hJlQTt7YG6yjsQKYz4ndBg&usg=AFQjCNEhxGTtUm6AhPVutafKTPDA5srHeA&sig2=US_98nA_G8eWyt_N91LmDA)

KG's Supra24
08-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Does it crank but not start? That is the problem I'm currently having. $1,600 sounds steep for an ecm, right?

08LSV
08-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah. $1,600 sounds quite pricey. Especially for a '05. The replacement unit must be expensive since it cannot take many man hours to swap it out. Not sure how much time they have to spend flashing programs...

JBMoombaMan
08-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the timing idea. I would think the dealer would look at that first. Looking at the Indmar document you provided, all of the timing instructions start by starting the engine. I can not do that, the motor just cranks and never starts. It looks like I have to just pay the man to get the boat running. Summer is winding down in the Midwest.

Thanks for your help.

KSmith
08-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Could you post back the diagnosis and fix once you get it running again so we can be elightened? Thanks!!

KG's Supra24
08-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the timing idea. I would think the dealer would look at that first. Looking at the Indmar document you provided, all of the timing instructions start by starting the engine. I can not do that, the motor just cranks and never starts. It looks like I have to just pay the man to get the boat running. Summer is winding down in the Midwest.

Thanks for your help.

Man, im in the same place. Have you checked all your grounds, at the battery and at the motor? Check these two threads and see if it gives you any ideas ... I'm interested to know whether or not we are having the same problem.

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?9554-Can-t-figure-it-out-...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?16069-Can-t-figure-it-out-...

mmandley
08-22-2011, 09:49 AM
dammit bro stop running 3 threads of this crap LOL. I cant keep up on all of them lol.

Im with Berg on this one man. I read all your posts and the Supra forum stuff as well. You mentioned your throttle was waide open at somepoint and then you also get random days it will work fine all day then not crank again. Also when your running all day the boat runs fine with no issues.

ETC Electronic Throttle Control means that its losing positiuon of the throttle and it wont fire the boat. The boat is set up so if the throttle is not at idle it wont fire at all. Its a safety issue same as a Park/Nuetral switch.

My buddies old Reinell does this all the time you have to jerk the throttle around till the engine fires up and he refuses to fix it LOL.

Also is your boat Throttle cable or fly by wire? Maybe the cable is going bad and kinking up and not pulling the idle back to nuetral.

As for the Electronics on the boat you said you disconnected them and the boat wont fire? This is od to me because any engine you add fuel and spark to will fire even for a couple seconds.

KG's Supra24
08-22-2011, 11:10 AM
1. I didn't start this thread. I have one here and one on Supra. This thread was started by someone having a similar problem.

2. It always cranks. It will crank until I run out of battery.

3. If it was out of neutral, it wouldn't crank at all.

4. It is motor related as the motor will not start when you take the boat out of the equation. Speaking of, OP, have you tried to jump the motor? That is the first thing Indmar told me to try so you can determine if the problem is inside the boat or actually the motor.

KG's Supra24
08-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Fwiw, mine turned out to distributor ... at least that is what I was told