PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wheels bowing out?

pmoomba
08-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I never noticed this before but seems like my wheels might be bowing out a little bit. I only noticed it because someone else was looking and pointed it out and seemed to imply his did the same thing and it was by design. Now that I'm looking at it though it's bugging me. Are these normal for an 06 single axle or do I need to get this fixed up? The pictures weren't taken perfectly level but you can still see what's going on I think.

mmandley
08-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Its actually by design. The axle is the suspension and it also uses the tires as a sock absorber. If you ever pull a trailer with fancy wheels and low profile tires you will notice how harsh the ride can be for the trailer and boat. As long as the tires are properly inflated and you dont see wear on the inside or outside of the tread then there is nothing wrong with it at all. Also when you look at the front tires they play tricks on your eye because of you back up with a dual axle trailer and turn at all the front axle tires will flex as they are actually drug on the ground. Yours looks like a single axle and with that you also have more weight on the one axle and as you keep adding weight the axles will bow out more. Your axle is carring 2x the weight as my duel axle so my tires dont bow out at all.

mnpracing
08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
pmoomba, I had an 06 OBV with the single-axle as well. It had the oil bath Reliable-brand hubs. Mine did not bow out (negative camber) like yours. I can't say whether anything is wrong with yours, but I thought I'd post my experience for your reference. From the looks of the pictures above, I would not think that's normal. The suspension of the trailer is a torsion axle, which should be an up-and-down motion of the wheel, not in an out. Do you trailer the boat over-loaded (ballast tanks not empty, tons of gear, coolers, etc). the SA axle should be rated for 6,000 lbs (can't remember the placard on the axle should say), but each axle on the DA trailer is 3,750. It's not double the capacity, but in total is more than the single.

murraymoomba
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Our 07 is doing the same thing. Boatmate blamed me for hitting curbs bending the spindles. Funny thing is it has never hit curbs much less on both sides.
I thought about switching the left one for the right and vice versa, it might bend them back straight. My tires are wearing on the inside as well.

pmoomba
08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info, sounds like the jury is a little out. I don't tow with anything but a full tank of gas and a little gear (no ballast full, etc), and haven't been running over curbs. I will have to double check the tire wear when I get home.

murraymoomba, are you concerned about your 07 and/or getting it taken in to be worked on? I don't have a dealer nearby (2.5h or so) but have a few general marine places that also service trailers. I'd hate to leave it unchecked and wind up on the side of the road or worse.

murraymoomba
08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Same here. I think something is wrong but my dealer assured me they would not break off. I checked on new spindles and they were about $300. I think it would be an easy swap. Thats why I thought about switching sides. My local mechanic said he could put the new ones on for me. I'm still on the fence about it.....

Thanks for the info, sounds like the jury is a little out. I don't tow with anything but a full tank of gas and a little gear (no ballast full, etc), and haven't been running over curbs. I will have to double check the tire wear when I get home.

murraymoomba, are you concerned about your 07 and/or getting it taken in to be worked on? I don't have a dealer nearby (2.5h or so) but have a few general marine places that also service trailers. I'd hate to leave it unchecked and wind up on the side of the road or worse.

FargoDawg
08-24-2011, 11:36 AM
was worse than yours, more camber, I took my trailer with boat to a trailer sales place and they fixed it up including fixing some of the electric brake wiring that had been pinched for about $250, I dont know what they did but it is now less camber and the reassurance an "expert" gave me was enough for me to pull it 8 hours with no problems.
note: I had no funny wierd wear on the tires.

rc5695
08-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Only the rear axle tires bow out like that on my 16' flat bed trailer and my boat (both tandem axle trailers). no weird wear that i've noticed on either one, and bearings are good on both.

rdlangston13
08-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Both axles on my tandem bow all over the place in different directions when make tight slow speed maneuvers.

Also, I have a buddy with a single axle boat mate on it looks like his trailer rides waaayyyy higher up than my tandem. is this normal or are my torsion axles about to bust???

pmoomba
09-20-2011, 09:44 AM
For what it's worth, I took it to a dealer that's a little closer (not an SC dealer, but work on trailers and some of their boats use boatmate) to be inspected, and they found no issues.

rc5695
09-21-2011, 12:07 PM
For what it's worth, I took it to a dealer that's a little closer (not an SC dealer, but work on trailers and some of their boats use boatmate) to be inspected, and they found no issues.
thanks for the update!

2006 Moomba Outback V
11-07-2020, 11:26 PM
I never noticed this before but seems like my wheels might be bowing out a little bit. I only noticed it because someone else was looking and pointed it out and seemed to imply his did the same thing and it was by design. Now that I'm looking at it though it's bugging me. Are these normal for an 06 single axle or do I need to get this fixed up? The pictures weren't taken perfectly level but you can still see what's going on I think.

I have the same issue, my right side is bowing and have a lot of wear on the inner side of tire. I have checked everything I know could be the suspect, but pulled it 6 hours with no issues and pulled great. Wanting to know if you found a remedy?

htfit
11-08-2020, 12:24 PM
On my last moomba trailer (2003 tandem axle) the front passenger side tire started to bow out and lean. The torsion axle most likely needs to be replaced.

In my experience I would address it now or you will have to fix it on the side of the road. The end result will be the bearings giving out and wheel coming off ruining the entire axle, calibers, tire, wheel, brake line etc... which happened to me on the way back from the lake. Not fun.

And when the bearing gives out it is not as simple as putting on the spare tire. I also experienced that getting a boat and trailer towed by a tow truck is not a easy task either. For the cost of having it towed you can replace the axle with a new one.

A new axle from boatmate is about $400-500 if I remember correctly. I would just contact boatmate and order a new one and swap it out if your comfortable doing it or have the shop do it.

On my 2019 moomba trailer the vault bearing oil leaked and went out and the wheel fell off and had same catastrophic effect. The trailer has been in the shop for about 6 weeks now and still waiting for boatmate warranty and the the shop to fix it.

Not to scare you but my advice is just fix it now when it is not an issue. It may save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk