PDA

View Full Version : Water in the locker and the bilge

bkearney
08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
New to me 2003 LSV. I dont know if water is getting around the sunbrella cover, or if the packing on the shaft is bad. However.. I have noticed that I will sometimes have water sitting in the bottom of the bilge area and in the ski locker. The boat sits pretty flat on the trailer, so I dont think the locker drains much into the bilge. It also appears like the bilge pump is not sitting all the way down.

I assume I should move the bilge to the bottom of the bilge area. Is there any way, besides parking on a hill, to get the locker to empty out?

-- bk

jester
08-19-2011, 12:44 PM
I use a shopvac. I just cleanned out all the water in both the ski locker and bilge and when I towed back the the storage unit there was more in the ski locker. Water likes to hide under the gas tank. With mine the plug sits up too high so even if i jack the boat all the way up all the water still does not drain. Only time i use the drain plug is when i flush the boat to move to a differnt body or water.

A cover will let in some water and when you are on the water then water is going to get in as people get in and out of the boat. You could have someone watch the packing as you drive to see if they see it dripping and how often.

wolfeman131
08-19-2011, 01:25 PM
I use a shopvac.

same 4 me.

rdlangston13
08-19-2011, 01:59 PM
my ski locker and bilge was dry once. i had the boat parked in the driveway for about a week with ALL the hatches open in 90+ degree heat. then i put it in the water again, did some boarding, took a roller or two over the bow and boom. water again. i just ignore it.

mmandley
08-19-2011, 08:35 PM
My bilge and ski locker are dry twice a year. When i put the boat in the garage for winter storage and 5 minutes before i put her in the water for the first time in the spring. Other then that i could care less about water in the bilge and ski locker. I spent 2 summers removing that dam ski locker bag and cleaning it each week and now i say i dont care as long as it doesnt stink. I clean it and scrub it out, fluch it with lots of fresh water and then towel dry it when its time to store the boat.

08LSV
08-20-2011, 12:36 AM
My bilge and ski locker are dry twice a year. When i put the boat in the garage for winter storage and 5 minutes before i put her in the water for the first time in the spring. Other then that i could care less about water in the bilge and ski locker. I spent 2 summers removing that dam ski locker bag and cleaning it each week and now i say i dont care as long as it doesnt stink. I clean it and scrub it out, fluch it with lots of fresh water and then towel dry it when its time to store the boat.

Mike that is too funny man. I thought I was the only one that obsessed with cleaning the center locker and bag all the time. The little woman would get bent outta shape every time I used the last of the Clorox to clean the greasy water off and out of that bag especially when I would do it in the bathtub in our apartment...lmao... I am much less concerned with it now and just use my vacuum pump to get it out if I need to work in there.

squeeg333
08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Seems like I always get water in the ski locker each time out, no matter what I do. It seems I get more now that I installed the Bow Sack as it's plumbed to the ski locker sack, and there's more pressure in the system. I assume I have a leak somewhere, but have yet to find it. I'm still anal about cleaning things, and take the ski sack out each time and vacuum the water out and let it all dry. One of these days I'll stop, hopefully. I just don't want it to get to the point of stinking (I have a plug installed in the drain hole in the back of the ski locker as well).

cab13367
08-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Seems like I always get water in the ski locker each time out, no matter what I do. It seems I get more now that I installed the Bow Sack as it's plumbed to the ski locker sack, and there's more pressure in the system. I assume I have a leak somewhere, but have yet to find it. I'm still anal about cleaning things, and take the ski sack out each time and vacuum the water out and let it all dry. One of these days I'll stop, hopefully. I just don't want it to get to the point of stinking (I have a plug installed in the drain hole in the back of the ski locker as well).

I'm the same way, although maybe not as bad. I do remove the bags after each use and put a box fan in each rear locker to dry out the carpet. And I park on a hill near my house on the way home and let as much water as possible drain out the back. Still, there will be a little water in the ski locker once it's sitting level in the garage but I don't worry about it. I usually just keep the locker open and let it sit there.

cab13367
08-29-2011, 08:20 PM
One more thing - if I forget to remove the ski locker bag which I have done a couple times this summer, when I take it out a week later, there is a grimy film on the bag. I can't imagine what it would be like if I left it here all summer long.

squeeg333
08-30-2011, 04:38 PM
One more thing - if I forget to remove the ski locker bag which I have done a couple times this summer, when I take it out a week later, there is a grimy film on the bag. I can't imagine what it would be like if I left it here all summer long.

Al, exactly why I remove that ski locker bag and suck the water out each time. I think I left it in there once, and had that film on the bag, and was not happy. I can't imagine what would be growing on it if I were to leave it damp all summer. It might have hooves.

I take my rear bags and hang them outside the back of the boat (still connected), and suck the water out of the carpet if it's bad, or just let it air dry.

mmandley
08-30-2011, 04:49 PM
All i have noticed with leaving my center ski locker bag in is no cuts on my hands, no nicks in my bag, and no more cursing as i try to shove it back in the locker each time. Every time i take it out, its slimy. This is due to the water in the bilge i cant drain i assume.

So when its at the end of the season i remove the bag, at the lake and wash it off in the lake. Then i towel dry it and its perfectly clean. No different then what some do every trip i just dont see it being worth my time.

Then on the day i decide its the last outting for the boat i will remove the rear drain plug and head to the car wash and pressure wash the ski locker and just let water run threw there with soap for 5 minutes till the wash shuts off. Then i head home and shop vac whats left out of the boat and air dry it. If theres any water i towel it up and done for the winter. I havnt had any issues with growth, mildew or anything in the ski locker. Just the daily slime it gets from boating.

89PROSTAR
08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
I do the, hang the rear bags over the back with fans in the locker trick also. For the center bag, I just kind of bunch up over to one side of the locker and leave the access door open.....it drys out enough with the fans going.

slowlearner
08-30-2011, 10:43 PM
I have always had water in the bottom of the boat since new. I finally got tired of seeing it and put the boat in the water with all the panels pulled out of the floor. The leak since new looks like it is coming from where the exhaust meets the back of the boat. But the only way it looks like to get to it would be to pull the fuel tank. Maybe at the end of the year I will get it taken care of.

DOCDRS
08-31-2011, 12:10 PM
I have always had water in the bottom of the boat since new. I finally got tired of seeing it and put the boat in the water with all the panels pulled out of the floor. The leak since new looks like it is coming from where the exhaust meets the back of the boat. But the only way it looks like to get to it would be to pull the fuel tank. Maybe at the end of the year I will get it taken care of.

What boat do you have?

jbgp1200
09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
The only way I have been able to solve this problem is to pull the plug on the boat launch. Its the only place steep enough for me to get all the water out. Every time I forget I have water in the locker. But on the launch it seems to get all the water out every time.

mtvfiremedic
09-02-2011, 10:19 PM
I to have the dreaded slime on the center locker - i vacuum for what seems like forever after draining the boat at full angle up and i keep sucking water.. bad placement of the drain IMO. I'm thinking about adding another drain near the transmission area in the bottom of the boat for better draining.. just one more hole.. (also one more to remember to put in).. So i just push the sac to the side, vaccuum and towel dry or let air dry....

My solution to get ALL the water out.... a 2 ton floor jack, a couple of wheel chocks. Chock the wheels, and in the driveway before putting it away and while its still hooked to the SUV, I put the floor jack under the trailer tongue jack and then raise up both as high as they will go. I also and the boat gets to a 45 deg angle.. and whata u know.. WATER out the back - drain for 10 min and then put it back on the suv, remove floor jack, put boat in garage and open everything, add a fan to front and back - dry boat.

Unfortunately, around here in NorCal, when I want to go from the Delta to a local lake that has an inspection(for mussles), I need a completely dry boat. Not even a thimble full of water.. that includes sacs...(which I hide in my car during inspection time).. and also dry ballast hoses(i forgot those once and was sent home - failed). So I hide the sacs, hide the hoses up underneath and towel dry the center locker while I wait my turn.. because ineveitably, some water finds its way forward while driving.. - also a pain, no ice in the icechest until after inspection.. - I prefer the Delta anyways.. but sometimes you want some nice clean water to ski/board/surf in. i think I'm gonna get one of those rubber drain plugs to block off the center locker from getting water in it while towing... I will just have to remember to turn on bilge before I get to the ramp to empty that hose too.... (another mistake)...

cab13367
09-03-2011, 10:25 AM
As far as raising up the front of the trailer while still attached to the SUV, I've thought about putting my ramps in front of the rear tires and then driving up on top of them. I think that would work as well.

bzubke1
09-03-2011, 11:08 AM
The only way I have been able to solve this problem is to pull the plug on the boat launch. Its the only place steep enough for me to get all the water out. Every time I forget I have water in the locker. But on the launch it seems to get all the water out every time.

This is what I do too, the ramp I use is usually not very busy when I'm pulling out and it's so much easier than using a shop vac like I used to.

rdlangston13
09-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I have yet to find a ramp steep enough to drain all the water out.