PDA

View Full Version : Propeller change

kerryoneal
08-18-2011, 11:34 PM
I need to change my propeller. Can anyone give me advise on how to take off the old one and install the new one?

Martin Jr
08-19-2011, 05:15 AM
lets start with...

Do you have a prop puller?

Do you have a butane torch?

sandm
08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
although nice to have, you really don't need either of the above imo....

start by loosening the prop nut. don't remove, just back it off a ways. I like to use a 2x4 standing between the ground and one of the bladed to keep the prop from turning.
use some sort of puller. you can spend the $$ on a prop puller, or use another puller. I like the following: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-two-jaw-puller-set-40966.html
install puller arms on the back collar of the prop and start spinning the threaded rod down until it contacts the end of the prop shaft. put some pressure on it.
now get a hammer or mallet and "pop" the end of the puller. the prop should pop off and slide down to the nut you did not remove.
pull the nut and prop off and you are done. be careful not to lose the key that fits into the propshaft as you pull the prop off. you will need to reinstall that.

good luck....

kerryoneal
08-19-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't have a torch and I don't have a puller. I like the idea of the harbor freight puller.

bbuhtz
08-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Just buy a cheap torch from anywhere, the torch can be used with any type of prop, and you can also use it for other things as well. Prop puller imo is just a waste of space in your home/garage collecting dust seeing as you don't have one already, you'll probably only ever use it for the prop. but then again, you don't have a torch as well, so what the hell do i know.

kerryoneal
08-19-2011, 04:20 PM
What does the torch do? Why do I need a torch?

you da man
08-19-2011, 04:28 PM
What does the torch do? Why do I need a torch?

The heat will minutely expand the metal the prop is made from and results in the prop looseing it's grip on the prop shaft.

bbuhtz
08-19-2011, 04:34 PM
The heat will minutely expand the metal the prop is made from and results in the prop looseing it's grip on the prop shaft.

^^ Exactly what YDM said. Use the torch to heat the prop material around the shaft. The prop will either come loose right way and fall against your shaft nut, or just lightly tap the prop with a rubber mallet or 2x4 and pop. Very easy and quick for any DIY person.

kerryoneal
08-19-2011, 06:16 PM
What about when you put the prop back on. How does it goes tight again against the shaft? or do I have to heat again when putting it back on?

bbuhtz
08-19-2011, 07:46 PM
No, simply putting the boat in gear (forward, also in water =)) will be enough to set the prop. You might hear a slight "pop" when doing so. I typically put the prop on snug with the shaft nut... no need to crank down hard on the shaft nut thinking it will set your prop with the shaft. After you put the boat in gear (forward), you'll notice there may be a small gap between the prop and shaft nut, just simply butt the two together without a massive torque, put you pin in, and your good to go. I want to stress not torqueing the shaft nut very much, otherwise it is going to be a PITA removing in the future.