PDA

View Full Version : Sub location

chawk610
08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Ok yall... where is the best location to mount a 10" or 12" sub on a Mobius LS?

EarmarkMarine
08-18-2011, 06:07 PM
While its not always the easiest installation for a larger woofer, the best location by a country mile is under the driver's helm console.
Other compartments, whether the port locker or rear locker, are going to overtax the woofer and amplifier trying to overcome the enclosed environment...even with some venting. You can still get tons of shake, boom and rumble from those locations but you'll only achieve a truly musical sounding subwoofer under the dash.

David
Earmark Marine

08LSV
08-19-2011, 05:04 AM
What he said....... No seriously, I did not ever want a speaker blasting up at me while driving and my peeps wanting the music loud. But after several trial configurations it is the best place to put and have it sound good. Also you don't lose any storage space at all since that was never a good place to store things anyway. I went with a 13" JBL that requires very little airspace so the box is hella small for a sub that hits so hard. I get compliments on it every single time I am out on the lake. I am also 6' tall and have not noticed a loss of much leg room at all. I really never even notice the box is there. Hope that helps.

chawk610
08-19-2011, 07:33 AM
I was thinking that was the best place... just wanted to confirm... we are test driving on Sunday... and if we buy it... the first thing I will do is put a sub in! BTW I have a really clean '83 MC S&S for sale! :) If anyone wants a good ski boat!

chawk610
08-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Ok... gonna order one today... not sure if I should get the "square" or Round Kicker 12" sub. The Square ones are twice as much??? So, I am guessing all that is needed is a front facade to hold the speaker.

EarmarkMarine
08-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Just a facade? Absolutely not! The Kicker subs are not an infinite baffle type and even if they were a facade in no way constitutes an infinite baffle. You have to have total front to rear acoustic isolation with any type of subwoofer. That means the facade would have to be completely sealed around its entire perimeter...not to mention that baffle rigidity is also very important. You are definitely going to need an enclosure, whether sealed or bass-reflex and the available enclosure displacement will dictate the right woofer selection. Choosing a sub before the enclosure is putting the cart before the horse.

David
Earmark Marine

Hutch5
08-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Depending on whether you want to build a box that will fit that space (which certainly looks nicer/more custom but takes some more time/planning), I went with the Kicker SKM-10. It's fully contained and I think still looks really good under the driver's console though certainly not as custom/integrated as some of the boxes I have seen here. It's super easy to install. Might be an option for some..just depends on what you prefer. Don't have any pics handy but like others have said it leaves plenty of room for your legs and sounds great.

Hutch

chawk610
08-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Ahhh... I can see where the built in would look better... but I like the "plug and play" aspect of getting an enclosure...

E4NASH
08-29-2011, 02:11 PM
I had a Kicker COMP VT 12" under my helm and it POUNDED! Didn't require mush space at all. I'm 6'2" and with the seat all the way back I could almost stretch all the way out and the sub was not in the way. We were still even able to store bags of towels there in front of the sub.

chawk610
08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
E4Nash... I have another thread going about garage stowing... do you put yours in the garage...if so is it on a super drop hitch? We have the same boat... just a few years apart.

E4NASH
08-29-2011, 05:35 PM
I was lucky enough to have a 40 ft steel building at my Dad's place that has an 8 foot garage door... I just would drop the tower and back her right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chawk610
08-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Ok... ordered the 12" Kicker w/ enclosure... and got the boat in the garage... all is well! I haven't checked the stock amp yet... I hope it has a subwoofer input! Or at least an open channel!

Razzman
08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Don't mean to be a party pooper but unless your boat came with a sub then you'll need a sub amp. Typically if I'm not mistaken the stock amp is a kicker zx200.4 or something like that. Not even enough power to drive a sub, even bridged two channels. And one channel won't work.

Your stock head unit should have a rear/sub output on the back to hookup he sub.

Which Kicker did you order? 12" Comp 4 ohm? If so you'll need a mono amp or 2 channel bridged of at least 150-200 watts rms to sound decent, any less and you might as well not even put it in the boat. Also remember you'll need to use at least 12 gauge speaker wire for that as well as decent rca cables.

chawk610
08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
I am prepared to throw another amp in if needed...I gotta car toys right by the house... I typically use Monster cable.

E4NASH
08-30-2011, 05:21 PM
I was using the Kicker ZXM700.5 for my sub and 6 cabin speakers...ROCKIN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chawk610
08-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Good to hear... I hope this one sounds good... I know the (6) speakers it has now sound great... just need more low end!

loudsubz
09-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Don't mean to be a party pooper but unless your boat came with a sub then you'll need a sub amp. Typically if I'm not mistaken the stock amp is a kicker zx200.4 or something like that. Not even enough power to drive a sub, even bridged two channels. And one channel won't work.

Your stock head unit should have a rear/sub output on the back to hookup he sub.

Which Kicker did you order? 12" Comp 4 ohm? If so you'll need a mono amp or 2 channel bridged of at least 150-200 watts rms to sound decent, any less and you might as well not even put it in the boat. Also remember you'll need to use at least 12 gauge speaker wire for that as well as decent rca cables.

12 gauge is overkill and not really needed. For the length of the sub wire 16 awg is suffecient for up to 300 watts @ 4 ohms. Good RCA's are important, but if they are not being run along noisy power wires you don't have to spend allot of some super shielded ones. You could even use some RG59 with some crimp on RCA ends. The wire is a little stiffer but has excellent noise rejection.

loudsubz
09-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Another option for the sub is under the front bow seating on the drivers side. Its open to under the dash, not completely sealed like some other locations under the rear seats etc. If your good with box building you can even try and build a folded horn design. I have made an Autotube with a single 8" and it rivals most 12's with more power. Its all about box design, plus its completely concealed so you can just point the mouth of the horn in the direction.

chawk610
09-06-2011, 11:51 AM
The 12" fits nicely under the dash... looks great... sounds good, but will definately need MORE power. Reckon I am gonna get the Kicker KMT-6 tower speakers and run them and the sub on their own amp. 2nd battery???

viking
09-06-2011, 10:50 PM
The 12" fits nicely under the dash... looks great... sounds good, but will definately need MORE power. 2nd battery???

YES, and YES!
It never ends................................:)

chawk610
09-07-2011, 07:46 AM
yes... my second boat... I understand about the never ending! I rememberbeing towed in a few times cause I killed the battery... I learned to never go out without my jumper pack!